Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Alcohol abuse.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 4-Jul-2019 07:34 Message #4743552
One in five people admitted to hospital has a harmful drinking habit, and one in 10 is dependent on alcohol, research suggests.

Experts from King's College London have said the issue is worse than first thought.

In A+E on a Friday or Saturday evening you might think that 90% have alcohol problems but what can be done?
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 4-Jul-2019 08:47 Message #4743556
I was in hospital recently on a busy weekend evening and the waiting rooms and corridors were full. The nurses were saying that if you took out all the alcohol related cases half the staff could go home and the rest would have an quiet time and cope easily.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 4-Jul-2019 08:55 Message #4743558
In A+E on a Friday or Saturday evening you might think that 90% have alcohol problems but what can be done?...

Triage them outside the hospital.
If they're drunk, send 'em on their way, with a cheery wave off the premises.
That way people genuinely needing to be seen in A&E will likely be seen sooner, and the staff wouldn't have the risk of having to deal with people that are or become uncooperative/violent.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Jul-2019 09:34 Message #4743568
So many beds are taken up with people with alcohol related diseases too, liver problems and stuff. I think the question needs to be asked about why we have such a get off your face culture? How come other countries seem able to drink in moderation and not have people sent to hospital and taken home in police cars?

Maybe its time to start classing alcohol along with other dangerous drugs such spice, heroin and crack?
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 4-Jul-2019 16:50 Message #4743609
it's a serious problem. Hasn't Scotland raised it's prices for alcohol and found it has helped?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Jul-2019 18:48 Message #4743624
Lots of sick people can be uncooperative/violent and its not always to do with alcohol, it could be to do with an underlying medical condition made worse by alcohol, people can be very bad about spiking the drinks of those of us prefer soft drinks, they think its funny, but its not if you're on medication or a recovering alcoholic.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Jul-2019 21:33 Message #4743647
'what can be done? '

Haven't a clue to be honest, I sometimes wonder if it's in our genes to be addictive, I wonder if it's either alcohol is getting stronger or our tolerance is getting weaker?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 4-Jul-2019 22:32 Message #4743674
Reading the forum lately has definitely pushed me towards having another drink or two.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 4-Jul-2019 23:26 Message #4743689
I see drunks in hospitals, drinking from cans in the streets and rolling out of pubs looking for fights. There is obviously a problem but I don’t have the answers
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Jul-2019 06:15 Message #4743705
Alcoholism. Obesity. Smoking. We do like to harm ourselves.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Jul-2019 22:52 Message #4743838
I’m surprised we don’t get more alcohol drinks. They make alcohol free beer and gin. Today after school I went to a twelve year olds birthday with one of my daughters. The very popular drink going around was an alcohol free Pimms. I don’t think many could ever have guessed there was no alcohol in it
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 6-Jul-2019 02:48 Message #4743863
Sickness and addictions are rife in a sick society. Their running away from reality. Very sad to see road rage and violent incidents occurring regularly also. Neo liberalism "No such thing as society" M Thatcher. The cause came in the 80's and selfishness has been growing since. Look at Brexit. It's just another Me, Me, Me in the sick system were all surviving in. Even in this blatently ugly state society has become, there's still people thinking the party that brought the Sell! Sell! Sell! economic philosophy, are the trusted captains of this sinking sick ship. The biggest addiction is ideology and materialism. That's the motor that drives the rotten corpse. People are unhappy and destroying themselves in the process. We need more care and understanding. And a better system to work among.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 6-Jul-2019 04:55 Message #4743864
OnlineMSE..."If they're drunk, send 'em on their way, with a cheery wave off the premises."

Wouldn't that be ignoring the issue? Yes it will ease the pressure on the A&E dept but turning away people with alcohol problems isn't going to help them.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 6-Jul-2019 06:38 Message #4743865
So many beds are taken up with people with alcohol related diseases too, liver problems and stuff. I think the question needs to be asked about why we have such a get off your face culture? How come other countries seem able to drink in moderation and not have people sent to hospital and taken home in police cars?

Maybe its time to start classing alcohol along with other dangerous drugs such spice, heroin and crack?

Alcohol is dangerous as many other drugs.

Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 27-Jul-2019 14:11 Message #4746545
Witheflow , Well said. An excellent posting.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 27-Jul-2019 14:55 Message #4746548
If people are taken to A & E for being drunk or with serious alcohol problems they should be charged for treatment. They should produce a c/card or expect to get a fine. It would soon hit on.
Male
Withgoodintent  Male  North Yorkshire 27-Jul-2019 16:21 Message #4746564
You can see it Michaelt so why can’t others? The selfish attitudes since the 80’s driving us towards destruction.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 31-Jul-2019 06:56 Message #4747021
Wouldn't that be ignoring the issue? Yes it will ease the pressure on the A&E dept but turning away people with alcohol problems isn't going to help them.

Alcohol addiction as with any drug addiction should be treated seriously. Any costs involved will be far outweighed by later savings to the NHS and emergency services. It would also build a better society.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 31-Jul-2019 11:47 Message #4747045
Whilst the government were making shed loads of money on alcohol tax it didn’t matter so much some poor souls suffering mental and physical ailments, but now that drinking is not so prevalent the money has dipped , but the alcoholics are still their costing millions, safeguards should have been put in place to treat all drink related illnesses, the government took their money so they should help them.
Male
Withgoodintent  Male  North Yorkshire 1-Aug-2019 10:34 Message #4747197
The government takes your money and keeps your money. People are unhappy and destroying themselves in the process but the sick government doesnt care and does nothing to help those with addictions.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 1-Aug-2019 17:44 Message #4747233
You can't blame the government for everything. People must take some responsibility for their own lives.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Aug-2019 18:36 Message #4747234
But it dosen't help when those who're trying to get help and take some responsibility have to wait ages and have nowhere to go for help, England has a massive hole of budget cuts from its addiction services, something that Wales and Scotland haven't done.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 1-Aug-2019 23:33 Message #4747263
To charge alcoholics for landing in A&E is pointless because many often use alcohol, initially anyway, to escape life's problems such a debt they can't see a way out of.

Wasn't it Blair who thought it a good idea to increase revenue by allowing all day opening hours to pubs that appears to be connected to why we now see people drunk all day long?

Like drug addicts, I can't recall ever meeting a horrible alcoholic when they are sober, often sensitive types, and use alcohol, initially, as a cover up and courage.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 2-Aug-2019 16:21 Message #4747300
"Iminngernaveersaartunngortussaavunga" as the Inuits say.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 3-Aug-2019 23:19 Message #4747401
"Iminngernaveersaartunngortussaavunga" as the Inuits say.

I wish I had a pound for every time I’ve said that.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »