Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Printing a real gun?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 19-Jun-2019 15:25 Message #4742351
First UK conviction for making a gun with a 3D printer. The man said he didnt know it would fire but his other internet searches showeed him to be very aware.
I live in london and there is a noticeable rise in violence especially knife crime.

What is the answer. How can they prevent more guns being made with 3D printers? I have to admit i don't know anything about them.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 19-Jun-2019 18:43 Message #4742373
I don't think you can stop them, how would you tell a printer to print a water pistol but not revolver?
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 19-Jun-2019 19:56 Message #4742385
Does everyone else understand how this printer builds a gun?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 19-Jun-2019 22:00 Message #4742393
They do make guns out of plastic now, to get past metal detectors.
Would be like making anything else with a 3d printer.
Male
Declan  Male  Cheshire 19-Jun-2019 23:20 Message #4742400
Hi Templar.

Just think of a 3d printer as a normal one. The layer of ink (plastic) is printed as a thin slice of an object. The next layer of ink (plastic) is printed over the top of it. Eeventually you have lots of thin slices that are printed on top of each other. In other words a solid object the thickness of the number of layers - a bit like a sponge cake.

Each layer's image is slightly different which means the shape can grow/shrink/change shape/become hollow. The plans are just digital maps of each stacking layer to be sent to the printer.

The printers are not that expensive and they are easy to get hold of - Aldi have sold them! They take a long time printing but they are very effective.

Very hard to police the transmission of digital control plans - the enforcement agencis will have a nightmare but I am sure they will manage some form of image analysis to combat the use of them :(

Search for this on YouTube - (3D-printed house built in one week | Architecture | Dezeen) - It shows the process - albeit on a larger scale :)
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 20-Jun-2019 08:14 Message #4742411
Thank you for that Declan it has piqued my interest.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »