Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Jo Brand

Now this should be interesting.

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 13-Jun-2019 12:39 Message #4741770
On Radio 4 Jo Brand said throwing yoghurt at brexit supporters was pathetic and it should be replaced with car battery acid.
The BBC has taken no action yet so lets see which they jump given the furore over Danny Baker.

If anyone on the right said that about left wing guests on the BBC, By now the police would have surrounded their house with helicopters, dogs and armed response.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 13-Jun-2019 12:56 Message #4741771
I have mixed feelings over this, I'm no Jo Brand fan but I really hate the thought that "comedians" have to watch every little thing they say and can't be provocative or controversial.
That said, this radio programme was not live and editors fiddled with it before broadcast, but didn't see any need to edit that bit out, so the BBC are complicit - Danny Baker tweeted by himself on his personal twitter account without the knowledge of his BBC bosses, so the link with the BBC is less obvious...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 13-Jun-2019 14:10 Message #4741778
There are many comedians that I follow who are as un-PC as they come...and I find a lot of un-PC stuff hilarious..

It is comedy..and should be taken as comedy, that's what it is...in my opinion, and a lot of other peoples opinion...I don't expect everyone to agree, or find any of that type of comedy funny at all...everyone to their own...but there are many who want the un-PC stuff...always have and always will..and I am one of them...I see it for what it is...
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 13-Jun-2019 15:46 Message #4741787
If was a Brexiter who said that about Leftie or Remainer they would baying for blood
Double standards,,,
But then thats the biased BBC
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 13-Jun-2019 16:20 Message #4741798
I'm surprised to see Farage crying in his battery acid. I thought he was made of sturdier stuff.

Sorry I meant milk!
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 13-Jun-2019 18:46 Message #4741809
What Farage is saying is that if he had said what Brand said he would have been crucified by now but as is usual now anything said by the left is ok.
The BBC is standing by her, now there is a surprise and people wonder why if it was up to me I would scrap it.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 13-Jun-2019 18:48 Message #4741811
What Heiro said.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 13-Jun-2019 19:12 Message #4741818
At least she did not threaten to sit on him.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 13-Jun-2019 21:01 Message #4741827
Just to expand on my first post - I don't think Danny Baker should have been sacked for his tweet, there was clearly more to that situation than that one incident. The speed in which they dumped him says they wanted shot of him anyway.
Similarly, I don't think Jo Brand should be sacked because the BBC editors/managers had final control on what was or wasn't broadcast and so they are ultimately responsible.

As an aside I am shocked how many newsreaders and presenters are saying Jeremy Hunt's name wrong - I have heard several mispronounce it as Jeremy C**t live on tv or radio. Whether it is deliberate or not is debatable.
God help us if he becomes PM...
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 13-Jun-2019 22:51 Message #4741853
Jeremy HUNT!, Cokey Govey or Boris Buffoon, take your pick.
Or one of the other 4 losers.
They are all Jeremy's.
Female
moonlightglow  Female  Cheshire 15-Jun-2019 20:07 Message #4741978
I'm not impressed with what she said at all or her jokes on elderly drivers I don't see it
I'm just not a fan of hers or her type of humour
I'm more into dry wit
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 16-Jun-2019 08:10 Message #4742002
Jo Brand. Danny Baker. Neither funny. Neither interesting. Neither entertaining.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 16-Jun-2019 08:10 Message #4742003
Well I'm all for comedians saying edgy things in the name of humour. I'm not offended by what she said, nor do I fully believe she was insighting violence. However, in the current year, I think it's only fair, if the shoe was on the other foot... heads would roll, I believe anyway.

As far as throwing acid into someone's face, perhaps Jo Brands grotesque appearance could be improved with some acid!... just kidding of course lol
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 16-Jun-2019 10:41 Message #4742016
These days people seem to write into the ASA and Ofcom over what appear to be the most trivial things.
But I guess if we are going to be ultra PC in the never ending pursuit of being fair and equal to all then when these things are said they have to be highlighted.
Jo Brand is entitled to her opinion about an MP (this is after all still a "free" country. Allegedly!) but there were a myriad of alternate things she could have said about throwing over him instead of the milkshake which she could have made a joke of. But to actually say it should have been battery acid, isn't funny or clever. End of.
But the Met aren't going to pursue it, the comments have been removed from the recording, and she has apologised. So that seems to be the end of the matter.

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Jun-2019 11:17 Message #4742017
Although I agree that the 'acid' comment wasn't the best thing to say, in light of some serious acid attacks in recent years, it was meant as 'one of those type of comedy' comments that plenty of people say...a bit like saying someone should be shot, that kind of thing...or even things like someone going to prison, and a 'joke' being made of them 'not bending down in the shower'...or perhaps mentioning their big hairy arsed cellmate or something...It's a type of comedy..Some people hate it...but some like it...The comedy that is, not the hairy arsed thing coming at you...although..

I don't really understand the milkshake thing myself...People just jumping on the bandwagon I think...The latest craze...

A lot also comes down to whether you like or sympathise with the milkshakee...I think when Tommy Robinson had one thrown at him, the milkshaker wasn't even arrested or charged with anything...A bit two faced from the authorities, I think...but, some people hate Tommy Robinson, so that is alright then, in their eyes...but if it happened to someone they liked...then book em straight away Officers..
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 16-Jun-2019 17:52 Message #4742046
"A lot also comes down to whether you like or sympathise with the milkshakee...I think when Tommy Robinson had one thrown at him, the milkshaker wasn't even arrested or charged with anything...A bit two faced from the authorities, "

Yes this is true. I'm a fan of Tommy Robinson, well in as much as I view his content (when it's available) and I've read his book, I've even donated to one of his causes. I disagree with the throwing of the milk shake, completely... bit I did love seeing him smack that scumbag in the face. I seen him in Italy getting pushed by a filthy looking migrant and he floored him, very enjoyable viewing if you ask me. Hypocrite... Ok, I'll give you that one lol
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 16-Jun-2019 23:58 Message #4742107
I think they threw bricks at Tommy too.
Only one was on target, he headed it straight back!
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 18-Jun-2019 15:45 Message #4742262
One imagines the remark to be a flippant one. As said earlier here, if all remarks - aimed humorously - as this is intended, were pounced upon, then levity { which is already something of a rarity ) would cease to exist. Ms Brand is rather deadpan. One quite likes her gallows humour. But sometimes it is not "swinging"

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »