Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What makes you switch off ..

... or who?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 29-May-2019 11:48 Message #4740886
When watching television or listening to the radio, what makes you reach for the remote or off button?

I really can’t watch Laura Kuenssberg (sp?) or Dom Littlewood for that matter and Peston is another one that has me reaching for the remote.

Programmes where everyone is screaming and cheering loudly so I can’t hear what’s going on

.. and last week I had to switch off The Last Leg when that comedian with the big mouth (looks a bit like Zippy) came on and said he had laughed at Theresa May close to tears in her resignation speech. Such unfeeling and disregard for another’s distress .. I just didn’t want to give him any more of my time.

Who does it (or doesn’t do it) for you?
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 29-May-2019 12:24 Message #4740891
Theresa May.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 29-May-2019 13:11 Message #4740896
Yawwwnnn at mancers for being unoriginal lol.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 29-May-2019 13:18 Message #4740897
The off button. That would be Jonathon Ross. Russel Brand. Frankie Boyle. Jeremy Kyle and Jeremy Clarkson.
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 29-May-2019 13:21 Message #4740898
Robert Elms - as he likes Bullfighting. As Milligan said " The best I could wish him, would be an early death"
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 29-May-2019 17:08 Message #4740906
Danny Baker.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 29-May-2019 17:30 Message #4740907
Russell Brand. Amber Rudd. Lee Evans. Scott Cappuro. A couple of screeching female political commentators whose names I didn't catch but who have been given far too much tv time recently. Diane Abbott.

Thank goodness for the Remote Control - so handy for rapid channel changing.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 29-May-2019 18:21 Message #4740912
It sometimes varies with me, depending on what mood I'm in...some political things and people can be a definite switch off one day, and then a must watch another day.

Adverts...especially on the radio...you can listen to the same Ad about 100 times in a day, and you've only had the radio on for a few hours...it drives me mad, so I am less tolerant to it nowadays.

Some of these reality TV 'stars' that then pop up on any old show...Go away most of you...one or two I have got used to...but the rest...

Russell Brand already mentioned a few times...I started off thinking 'what a dick'...then I went through a phase of thinking he was ok...but he is 'what a dick' again now.

I used to like Mel and Sue when they first started out on 'Light Lunch'...I still quite like Mel, but Sue can be a pain.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-May-2019 18:39 Message #4740913
Keith Lemon, Peter Kay, Simon Cowel, Ant and Dec, Sue Pollard, Andrea Ledsome and Diane Abbott will do for starters. I pretty much never watch adverts, I either record the program and then fast forward through them or turn the sound off.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 29-May-2019 21:19 Message #4740927
The adverts on commercial radio, get me changing stations. Although now that a lot are under the same group like Global you get the same adverts every 15 minutes on their stations.
I was R2 most of the day but can't be bothered with all the white noise coming from their new line-up.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 29-May-2019 22:24 Message #4740934
For me the main thing is Prime Ministers Questions. The braying of the asses and donkeys is just too much to stomach.

SQL
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex 30-May-2019 09:49 Message #4740958
On the radio it’s jazz or rap that has me heading for the off button, and songs that repeat the same line over and over.

On television it’s sports commentators that really wind me up, especially football and horse racing. Why they have to shout is beyond me.

I’m not keen on those comedians who rely on expletives to get a laugh either.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 30-May-2019 10:03 Message #4740959
Quite a few things make me change channel or turn off. Too much talking between tracks by djs. The "celebrities" which make me reach for the off switch (or just reach) are Russell Brand, Tony Blair, Louie Spence, Kanye West. I don't like to admit this but Piers Morgan has grown on me!
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 30-May-2019 11:14 Message #4740963
What in the way that a wart or carbuncle might?
lol

Female
shewolf  Female  Somerset 30-May-2019 14:48 Message #4740978
With me its Piers Morgan such a arrogant man have to turn over or off
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 30-May-2019 17:09 Message #4740981
Jeremy Vine.

Seems that a lot Jeremy's get peoples canker up ... wonder if it's something to do with the name ?

Chris.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 30-May-2019 17:19 Message #4740984
Him with all the teeth and the big mouth think someone else mentioned him, Graham Norton Mary Berry, most cockneys, Russell Brand and women football commentators.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 30-May-2019 17:57 Message #4740986
I like a lot of the ones being mentioned...although I'm glad Russell Brand is getting a pounding,

I like him with the big teeth as well...If it's the one I'm thinking of, its Rob Beckett...also, he can peel a banana with his feet...
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 30-May-2019 20:34 Message #4740992
That's the one tumbles .. did the 100 thing on BBC

.. I always think of Zippy when I see him.

The trouble with a big mouth is there's plenty of room for your foot!!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 30-May-2019 23:16 Message #4741001
I think Rob Beckett is great! His great grandfather invented the digestive biscuit :)
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 31-May-2019 17:27 Message #4741051
Coronations Street
East Enders
Googlebox
Most Sport

There are people I didn't dislike as people but didn't like their shows but sadly they have died.
Terry Wogan
Ken Dodd
Bruce Forsyth

Can't think of many living individuals but I did find Theresa May amazingly monotonous but still listened to what she had to say.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 31-May-2019 17:28 Message #4741052
shewolf

Thanks, I forgot about Piers Morgan. He's still alive too.
And I'll add Jeremy Clarkson.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 31-May-2019 18:25 Message #4741054
I’m glad this thread wasn’t just another re-run of politicians we don’t agree with. Russell Brand is possibly the most obnoxious person I have ever seen.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 31-May-2019 20:43 Message #4741066
Don't know if it's because I only have terrestrial tv and radio, perhaps it's the same on internet channels? my daughetr says it is; but I rarely actually watch tv...yes, I sit in front of it and just stare quite often, but it's more like a form of self harm and possibly because it takes away that feeling of aloneness? On tv everything seems to be the umpteenth repeat, on radio there's either too many ads or if it's a bbc channel, other than the occasional play, it is again something from eons ago.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 31-May-2019 20:43 Message #4741067
Don't know if it's because I only have terrestrial tv and radio, perhaps it's the same on internet channels? my daughetr says it is; but I rarely actually watch tv...yes, I sit in front of it and just stare quite often, but it's more like a form of self harm and possibly because it takes away that feeling of aloneness? On tv everything seems to be the umpteenth repeat, on radio there's either too many ads or if it's a bbc channel, other than the occasional play, it is again something from eons ago.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »