Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Whats

He up to?

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 20-Jan-2019 15:04 Message #4733692
2 days after crashing his Land Rover, the Duke has been seen driving again.
On both occasions alone, no protection officer.
I have to wonder what is so important for the Duke to be driving alone?
Anyone got any ideas?
Will the Queen know what he is doing?
Will he know what he is doing?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 20-Jan-2019 15:45 Message #4733696
Going to see his mistress, maybe?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 20-Jan-2019 15:49 Message #4733698
He's 97, name me one 97 year old that is predictable.
I actually wonder how many of us know anybody who is 97 and not cooped up in some room staring at the wall all day...
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 20-Jan-2019 15:51 Message #4733699
Don't think he listens to the Queen whatever she says.

He does what he wants.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 20-Jan-2019 16:15 Message #4733702
It seems that his priorities were with getting a brand new vehicle as soon as possible. He couldn't bare to go a moment without one. Certainly quick work arriving the next day and with personalised number plates. You would have thought that he would have taken it easy for at least a few days. It rather seemed like bad form to me, as if the accident was of little importance. He could have actually killed everyone. It had been reported that smoke was coming from the other vehicle and people were afraid it may have gone up in flames. But the other party are unlikey to be able to get a replacement vehicle so soon. It will all have to go through insurance. Prince Phillip on the other hand does not have to concern himself with such things. He has the taxpayers money, without needing to claim. And then he is seen without a seatbelt and likewise the Queen also. Both thinking they are above the law and apparently the Queen is, which seems very wrong to me. Personally I feel he should have had an eye test, medical and driving test before ever getting behind the wheel again. He has admitted he was blinded by the sun, so why did he just drive out when unable to see? And unlike the rest of us, he does have staff who can drive for him.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 20-Jan-2019 17:35 Message #4733707
He does have staff that can drive for him
This is what interests me, he does not have to drive at all.
So why is he so keen to drive anyway.
And why does he need to drive alone, with no security.
What does he want to keep secret?
Did he ever take a driving test?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 20-Jan-2019 17:56 Message #4733710
He might have overheard someone saying 'he'll never reach 100', and he thought they were talking about mph, and stubbornly tried.

Or he could have been doing a dress rehearsal for the next 'Princess Di' style assassination.

They do think they are above the law though.

A bit off track, but I read somewhere that if the Queen comes round your house and knocks on your door, you have got to let her in, even if you are busy. Something along those lines anyway.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 20-Jan-2019 18:41 Message #4733718
It's interesting that he was also seen to be driving without his seatbelt on.
But not the usual £100 FPN, just a friendly word from the local rozzers.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 20-Jan-2019 19:02 Message #4733722
I nearly had a accident the same as Phillips low winter sun right in my eyes even with the visor down in was still dazzling.

The police have said he can read a numberplate at the required distance and presumably he has to have a licence to drive on a public road and so has to have the same checks as anyone else. Not wearing a seatbelt is more problematic but not uncommon, esepcially with older people. If I wrote my car off I'd get a replacement within a few days, but the I would think theres a fleet of of them at Sandringham.

I doubt its something he wants to be secret as much as private, he wants to go about his normal business and drive himself to keep his independence, just like many other elderly people.

Whether he is getting to the stage where he shouldn't be driving is a reasonable question though. Of course he may be going gaga and keeps escaping his minders.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 20-Jan-2019 19:07 Message #4733723
Brexit and prince phillip???
is there no other news?

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »