Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Why does a lot of cosmetic surgery seem to go wrong

and look totally hideous and ridiculous

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Jan-2019 07:20 Message #4732996
Seeing another thread about over 50's, got me thinking about the ridiculous lengths people go to, men and women, to have implants, surgery, all sorts of bizarre stuff, to make themselves look and feel 'better'.

A lot seems to end up 'going wrong', or it certainly seems like that to me. It looks odd, more than odd, hideous, more than hideous...

Lips that look completely weird, pumped full of shit, like a freak show. Face lifts that make them look like a monster.

Now I'm sure that some turn out great. Some people do look amazing if they have the right things done properly. And if it makes them feel better about themselves, then who is anyone else to criticise that, but the 'hideous' look that so many seem to have is awful, in my opinion. Surely growing old gracefully is better than having freakshow pumped up lips etc. Or do they think they look 'gorgeous'? Sexy? with their 'new' look.

Each to their own, I suppose.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Jan-2019 07:57 Message #4732998
Yes i agree with you. I was watching The Chase only the other day and noticed this young girl who was obviously an actress but she looked awful. Her lips looked like a fish all plumped up and i think she
had a face lift. Why on earth she had cosmestic surgery gaud knows as she was only in her twenties.
But it seems to me she was happy. I would rather stay as i am.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 9-Jan-2019 08:55 Message #4733001
I guess it varies from person to person. I work with a guy who is 50, he has grey hair but dyes it, looks a bit of a fool. He gets it cut and dyed, then it grows grey, when it grows to a length he can't hide it, he wears a hat. He denies that he dyes his hair, so obvious... he also has false teeth, which he denies. Even has been caught a few times with no teeth in... growing old disgracefully!!!

My chin is going grey, I'm 31. I'm quite proud of my grey chin hairs, so I've grew my chin hair a bit, just to show them off. I shave my head at number 0 on my shaver, I also go over my face with the same length. Now I miss the chin and trim it, so it is a grade of two longer. Few days later it, it has grew and looks nice... in my opinion.

So I was in the office at work, few guys hanging round the desk, in the office works two lovely young women, who are very attractive. One is about 40, the other about 30. I walks in and one of the guys says to me "Bobster... are you growing a beard?" I replied "Na, just want to show off my grey chin goat, I'll grow a beard when I get more Grey's!" One of the girls stuck their head up and asked "Why don't you just grow it now, before it goes grey?" I said "Well I don't want to look like a fucking amateur! A beard isn't a beard unless it has some grey in it!"

One of the girls then says "How great it must be to be a man, not need to worry about aging!" This then caused me to go into a rant, I said to one of the girls "You women have every single advantage going! Every single advantage in the world over men! We have two! We can shag around and nobody cares, we don't get called sluts. We also get to age gracefully!... Claire, you are absolutely gorgeous, stunning looking woman, but the very day you come in here with even one grey hair... that's it! You're off my naughty list!!!" We all had a good laugh at that!

I do think society is kinder to men with regards to aging, and a bit harsher on women.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 9-Jan-2019 09:47 Message #4733016
You'd think by now, somebody would have come up with some form of implants, surgery or pumping up of something that would make me taller.
I'd go for that...
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 9-Jan-2019 10:50 Message #4733022
"You'd think by now, somebody would have come up with some form of implants, surgery or pumping up of something that would make me taller.
I'd go for that..."

I saw a documentary of a man who travelled across the world to have both his legs broken in two places, and have a something inserted, that he had to screw every so often. I think they broke his legs below and above the knee, put a metal rod in, and screwed it to lengthen his legs. It cost lots of money, it looked unbelievably painful, and had to learn to walk again.

He was about 5ft 5... ended up 5ft 7 or something! Seemed a complete waste of time, and money to me. I could see the point if it got him over 6ft...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Jan-2019 11:16 Message #4733029
I think it goes wrong because its a pretty unregulated industry, you don't need to be doctor to do some stuff like botox.

There are times when I think I'd like a neck lift and my eyelids done, but I won't unless I win the lottery that I don't do. I would have my eyelids done if they got heavy enough to have trouble opening my eyes and I'm currently hoping to get surgery to sort out really bad abdominal scarring thats giving me some functional problems. But the NHS are really reluctant to do reconstructive surgery, even on young people who've lost loads of weight and now have enough spare skin to make another person. I understand that resourses are short and that cancer patients come first etc, but sometimes it feels like you do all the right things or sometimes as in my case it was nobodies "fault" and yet we are "punnished".
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Jan-2019 11:49 Message #4733036
There are parts of me i would like to change but if i came out looking worst than i did i would die lol

Rather stay as i am. Afterall nobody is perfect.

We all have to grow old.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 9-Jan-2019 12:55 Message #4733039
I don’t like surgery when it is a necessity so I certainly wouldn’t be taking such risks to me health just to change my looks a little ... anyhow I’ve grown quite fond of my far from perfect looks lol.

Apart from the obvious health risks in cosmetic surgery there is also the risk you may end up looking worse .. which seems to happen often. Even the very wealthy using top surgeons often end up looking like aliens.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 9-Jan-2019 12:55 Message #4733040
I can't understand the fish face look ... Gosh I've been watching the kardasians ... What huge bums they have .. It's all the rage apparently ... I'm growing old disgracefully ... I do confess to dyeing me nanny roots though ... Cliff Richard looks so scary I think ...give me rugged Mel Gibson any day lol
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 9-Jan-2019 12:56 Message #4733042
That’s unfair joolsy. Mel Gibson in a skirt would look more rugged than Cliff lol
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 9-Jan-2019 13:05 Message #4733043
Haha persona ... Ooooh Mel had very sexy legs in braveheart ... Lol ... Goes in search of me braveheart DVDs lol
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 9-Jan-2019 13:09 Message #4733044
Mel did have the “blue paint” makeover :)

Pondering .. whatever happened to all those lovely blue rinses ladies used to display?
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 9-Jan-2019 13:19 Message #4733047
Ha ha ... I remember the shampoo and sets and blue rinses when I worked in the hairdressers in the 70 ... Your right ...no one has them now ... When I'm 70 I might try the Mrs slow combré look lol ... Go lavender lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Jan-2019 18:43 Message #4733060
Well blue hair is quite fashionable along with lots of other colours, I quite fancy dying mine silver or lilac, but I can't be bothered, maybe all these different colours are this generations blue rinse and hairdressers of the future will be bothered by all these old ladies wanting unicorn colours!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »