Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Fermentation

In foods, do you eat it?

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Jan-2019 10:45 Message #4732913
It started out enjoying a saurkrout??? sandwich on a foody market. It was delicious.
Then a documentary on Scandinavian's liking for fermented fish, though I can't bring myself to try that.

If anyone's interested, there's a few podcasts available on Radio 4 just now.

Do you make or enjoy any fermented foods?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Jan-2019 15:59 Message #4732923
Some fermented sauces are better than they would seem.

Two in particular that come to mind, good old Lea and Perrins, which contains fermented anchovies amongst all sorts of other things, and the other one is a fish sauce, often referred to as 'Nam Pla', used in Asian cooking.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Jan-2019 17:33 Message #4732927
I didn't realise Lea and Perrins had anything fermented in it, but I wonder if that is something that aids longevity in the cupboard.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Jan-2019 18:41 Message #4732930
Soy sauce, miso and vinegar are about the only are about the only fermented things I eat and not much of any of those.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 7-Jan-2019 18:47 Message #4732932
I love pickle cucumbers and red cabbage ... Roll mops ( pickled herrings ) ... Fermented food is very good for you ... There's lots I haven't tried ... Fermented soya is so good for the immune system too ... My friend does gorgeous fermented mushroom ... She often gives me huge jars of pickled vegetables ... They are lush
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Jan-2019 19:39 Message #4732936
I love pickled cucumbers and red cabbage too, but I'm not sure they are fermented. Is pickling the same as fermenting?
I think fermenting involves some bubbling and fizzing, even wine is fermented?

I had made my own mincemeat for mince tarts around 2-3 years ago then never got round to it. I kept turning the kiln which I had sterilised, so I kept putting it off but didn't want to throw it all away. After Christmas, I took the lid off and there was no explosion or mould present, but I had probably put in quite a lot of whiskey or rum at the time of making it. I tasted a bit on the end of a spoon and it was OK, but very strong. Anyway, I risking making a mincemeat cake. I used myself as a tester and it was delicious.

Various places gave different advice but it turns out that fermented mincemeat is also good, well Delia Smith said 2-3 years is OK.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 7-Jan-2019 20:17 Message #4732940
Yes pickling is fermenting ... Cucumbers etc are put in lots of salt and dill it makes a brine ... My nana always made them and stored them in the scullery .. I used to get told orf for pinching them ... You will get a tummy ache they are not ready yet she would say ... The salt and dill peppers make the cucumbers sour when they are ready ... I think fermenting has been going for many years ... It has now become very fashionable again ... Lots of posh Japanese and Chinese restaurants do amazing things with fermented foods ... There's lots of recipes online Lynne... It's an excellent prob tic apparently
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 9-Jan-2019 20:26 Message #4733080
I'm just having a go at making a cabbage and apple sauerkraut with sea salt, caraway seeds and chilli flakes.
Have to leave it out of a fridge for 3 days...we'll see!
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 9-Jan-2019 20:34 Message #4733081
Sounds lovely Lynn ... Apparently fermented food is a superfood and is excellent for your health ... I adore beetroot ... Going to look on line for recipe ... Going to get some jars and have bash meself ... Let us no how yours was
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 9-Jan-2019 22:18 Message #4733088
Some of it didn't get into the jar, the mixture was delicious as it was. Good luck with yours Joolsy.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Jan-2019 19:43 Message #4733158
Arriving early at the doctors today, I picked up a copy of Saga from october, and there was an article about fermenting.

The heart was running on time, so I didn't have time to read it all, but it mentioned Sourdough bread, cheese mould, Olives, Chocolate and even Tea, as all being fermented.

The one I mentioned earlier, Lea and Perrins, legend has it that they were asked to make up a mixture for someone who had tasted something on their travels, and they made some for themselves, but didn't like it, and instead of chucking it, they kept it and when they remembered about it, it had all fermented into the great taste that is Worcester Sauce. That is the legend anyway.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Jan-2019 19:49 Message #4733160
just noticed 'heart running on time' should be 'heart nurse running on time'

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »