Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Smoking

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 6-Jan-2019 10:17 Message #4732847
It's perfectly understandable why people smoked in the past with no knowledge of the damage it could do to their health and it's just as understandable why many smokers find it impossible to give it up but what on earth makes young, intelligent people start now?
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 6-Jan-2019 10:42 Message #4732852
not so many young intelligent around ,these days ?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 6-Jan-2019 10:49 Message #4732853
Their careers adviser said that it was the first stepping stone to their ambitions of becoming a cocaine and heroin addict.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 6-Jan-2019 11:02 Message #4732856
Maybe life is too safe and too boring so they crave a bit of excitement and danger.
I know it's easy to look back at our youth through rose tinted glasses, but I don't remember having the angst that today's youth seem to have.
Younger people, and some older people to, seem to crave more and more extreme ways to brighten up their dull lives - when I was a kid we played knock down ginger, bought a bottle of woodpecker cider from the local off licence or bunked off school to get our hearts racing with adrenaline, nowadays it's hard drugs, climbing 1000ft towers and taking selfies or stabbing someone with a bread knife...
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Jan-2019 12:05 Message #4732864
I used to be an avid anti-smoking person. I realised it was often the reason I was ill as a child with chronic sinusitis and off school with recurrent sore throats. Both parents smoked heavily but they wouldn't have known then what the cause of my symptoms was.

At age 9 I lived in an old-fashioned corner shop Monday to Friday, often going back to my grandparents, and my home of birth, out in the country at the weekends. My mother used to leave her cigarette smouldering on the mantlepiece whilst she attended to customers and it was too much to resist experimenting with what adults around me got out of sucking on the little white stick.

I sneakily took a drag one day, whilst my mother was involved in a conversation with one of her regulars. She'd have walloped me with the dog lead if she caught me so it was quite a risk. I stood there, with my throat burning and horrible sensations first users must go through and even at age 9, reflected on why did they bother and it wasn't for me. At the starting point of smoking, in my opinion, it is to belong to a peer group, be part of the herd, the social thing, but I was an independent kid and knew I wasn't one of them and never fitted in and didn't need to try to.

I've realised later in life that the most intelligent people we might previously see as higher in ability than ourselves, my dad being a mill worker, not achieving much at school, that high achievers I have since met are subject to just the same, if not more need to "belong" than anyone else on the perceived spectrum of linear intelligence, which of course, it isn't really.

I was devasted to learn my own daughter had succumbed to smoking at her first year at university. She is highly intelligent, emotionally aware kind of girl, but after being ill since age 16, she was desperate to be one of the crowd at age 19 in halls of residence. She was hooked.

In 1999 when I trained as part of my community nurse role as a smoking cessation advisor I noticed some who smoked a few found it harder to give up than some who smoked a lot. My own step father quite 60 a day no problem, my partner did, but those who smoke just a few a day seem to need to cigarette more an emotional prop, for anxiety, rather the habit of lighting up with a drink, with a meal, with whatever.

I don't do smoking cessation that much these days, Manchester has lost the funding and so the GPs have no referral to send anyone to and no financial incentive it is one of the public health things that have been cut back on (Interesting conversation this morning between Andrew Marr and Theresa May) when more is being put into the NHS, but I still try to help opportunistically so I recently attended a lecture, in my own time, one Saturday morning with a smoking cessation psychologist.

I really enjoyed the lecture with a mixture of other highly motivated nurses and GPs willing to give up a Saturday morning but I grabbed a chat with her after the event and told her of my theory and experience on those who smoke a few. She disagreed and said that evidence shows clearly that smoking contributes to anxiety and that stopping means better moods. I still have trouble with this because it is only personal experience as a mum with a daughter who lives with her, but I am in a real dillemma because when my daughter goes and has a puff she is so much more pleasant that the neurotic being she can be before she takes the cigarette. She is a lovely person, but not with me when she has not has that horrible drag, but it is very conflicting to me to want my daughter to light up. She does want to stop and managed 6 months once, but then I call it a "bloody-minded moment" always happens that send her (and others) back to square one.

Part of my job is also taking the overflow from our respiratory consultant nurse and I have a module at degree level in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) so I know the consequences of not subjecting our lung to cigarette smoke,
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Jan-2019 12:12 Message #4732867
(the thread did not carry the end of my comment)

, ...it isn't just the amount you smoke, or how long you have smoked, but your genetic disposition and sensitivity to the damage.

So you might get, and often do, Joe Bloggs puffing 20-40 a day and few problems, but Mary Bloggs, his wife of 30-40 years, copping the full whack of passive smoking.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 6-Jan-2019 15:12 Message #4732873
Perhaps people need a friend they can rely on? a cigarette can seem to be a real friend sometimes, or perhaps that's just my addiction talking? I'm not sure about peer groups or peer pressures, I was never really interested in being part of a gang nor did anyone egg me on to start...but addiction and their friendship keeps me hooked.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Jan-2019 17:14 Message #4732881
terry,

What made you have that first cigarette?

Back then you would not have known it would be a "friend"?
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 7-Jan-2019 14:30 Message #4732919
It's almost totally down to family and friends. If your parents smoke or many of your friends smoke then it is much more likely that you will. If no-one around you smokes then it might never even cross you mind to do so.
I think most who start to smoke assume stopping will be easy and by the time they realise this isn't the case it's too late.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Jan-2019 19:40 Message #4732937
My parents have always smoked. I did try it once when i was about 14. Then i must have smoked too
hard as it went down my throat and omg it really stung so i did not smoke again. I told my mum and
she said that was the best part taken it down (as they used to say).lol I think the worst is when they
smoke those E cigarettes as you get a faceful of smoke as they turn to their side to puff out the
smoke. It is like a cloud around them.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 8-Jan-2019 15:30 Message #4732959
There's no way that I can speak for anyone choosing to start smoking in an age where there is any amount of publicity given over to discouraging the practice.
Much is made of the statistical evidence concerning the supposed deleterious effects of smoking tobacco upon individual's health, but I remain unconvinced that all other possible factors (e.g. vehicle exhaust) have been eliminated from such studies.

For my own part (& as I've said before):

'When life was all a Summer's day,
and I was under twenty,
three loves were scattered in my way,
(and three at once are plenty!)
for I knew not which to make my pet,
my Pipe, cigar or cigarette.'

How that turned out will be apparent from my profile.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 8-Jan-2019 17:38 Message #4732961
Ok its a pipe Warmy.
What do I win?
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 9-Jan-2019 09:46 Message #4733015
NH - you have earned for yourself the feeling of warm satisfaction due to being correct in your deduction.
(Except that 'it' is in fact a collection of about a dozen, used in rotation so as to maintain 'freshness'.)
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 9-Jan-2019 21:18 Message #4733085
Terry, "You're never alone with a Strand" according to the old ad.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »