Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The Winter

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 6-Jan-2019 10:15 Message #4732846
Is there any reason to look forward to the winter? I like the fresh frosty mornings,and the sight of snow covered countryside can be magical, but does this offset the freezing weather which many people suffer, the falls on slippery paths, water pipes bursting in homes, higher heating costs, accidents damaging vehicles and causing deaths and the general upheavel of very bad weather?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Jan-2019 10:40 Message #4732851
The kids love snow and you can't build a snowman in the summer. Apart from that I can't think of anything good. does the winter kill off bugs and germs?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Jan-2019 11:50 Message #4732861
Most winters we don't have very bad weather, we've barely had a frost here so far, I quite like winter, I look forward to the human tourists going home, the different bird species that come for winter here. I like the cold nights as I can sleep properly and I like the dark nights for the same reason. I like winter food and jumpers and boots. Unless we have an extremely severe winter most things like burst pipes are from lack of preparation things like lagging withich is really quite simple to do. Yes winter can be a more expensive time of year, but so can summer with the need for fans and aircon and people getting dehydrated and suffering from heat stroke.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 6-Jan-2019 12:02 Message #4732863
I don't handle extremes of weather at all well nowadays.

Back in the day, I don't remember the really cold weather getting to me, especially when i was a kid, living in the Northeast, near the Cleveland Hills, snow drifts every year. I used to love it.

And the really hot weather, very quickly gets to me now. But again, back in the 70's, when I was sailing round the world, we used to frequently cross the equator, and I was often working out on deck with just shorts and no shirt. I don't remember using any sunblock stuff, so I think I just got used to it at the time. I am fair skinned as well, a ginger with freckles, but apart from a bout of sunstroke in Jamaica once, after spending the day on Negril beach, drinking rum and coke all day, I must have got used to it after that.

But now? No chance. Summer or Winter. Give me something inbetween.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Jan-2019 16:23 Message #4732876
We will give you Sumter now cheer up hehe.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 6-Jan-2019 16:43 Message #4732877
Summat like Sumter will do. It sounds good. Can't wait for it to start. Not sure if it's dependant on Brexit going ahead though.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Jan-2019 16:50 Message #4732878
Look forward to all the UK seasons for one reason or another. I love the variety, shorts and T shirts, walking along the riverside, cycling in the summer, and wrapping up in hats, gloves, snug as a bug in the winter.

Long summer evenings, doors open, bright colourful flowers in the summer, cosy with a good film, curtains closed and drinking chocolate on a winter evening.

Both are magical in their own way.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 6-Jan-2019 17:14 Message #4732882
I like the winter, apart from snow to enjoy ,I wish, its a chance for all to relax and rest and plan for the summer again...…..lol
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Jan-2019 18:14 Message #4732887
My youngest son used to love the snow. He used to build a snowman with his bare hands in my back garden and would not come in until it was finished. I just used to look out of the window or open the back door to see if he was alright When finally he came in never moaned about his hands.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Jan-2019 18:16 Message #4732888
He was more concerned about his snowman how it looked. Used to have a scarf around the neck and of course a carrot for the nose.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 7-Jan-2019 14:33 Message #4732921
I can see why some people might like the winter but it doesn't actually have anything which makes it better than the summer.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 8-Jan-2019 14:50 Message #4732957
So far over the turning of the year, there's hardly been any winter weather to speak of. A couple of mornings only just below freezing have left pelargonium foliage and flowers untouched while grass seed sown in late October is sprouting nicely. My wytch hazel has started to display its little red tassels and the scent greets any who linger by the back door. Coal tits are exploring the bird box placed to be viewed from my front room, but there's no nest material in evidence yet; while the magpies have not, since November, taken a break from adding to their assemblage of twigs high up in the sycamore. The jewel-like red and purple cyclamens continue to delight and today do so against a background of mahonias yellow inflorescence. Primroses nestling beneath various clumps along my front path are ushering in the thrusting shoots of snowdrops and similar strong green shoots from several pots give the sign that containers of spring bulbs should move soon to positions that will show their flowers off to best advantage.

So enjoy it while it lasts - I'd not be surprised for us soon to be subjected to a period of northerly and easterly winds that will have us all reaching for our long-johns - but it would be good to be wrong in that realistic expectation.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Jan-2019 18:45 Message #4732965
Theres things to look forward to in every season, we're warmer here than WnD being on the coast and we've got quite a few buds coming, catkins on the tree's and primroses, I think the grass is still growing as many of the cows are still out, I'll have to cut the grass soon.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »