Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Anyone doing

veganuary?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Jan-2019 11:06 Message #4732811
Otherwise known as going vegan for a month? Some food I eat is vegan, but not purposefully so, its just is. I've been reading some of the newspaper columns on it along with recipe suggestions, I don't where I'd find some of the ingredients they talk about, but certainly not in our local tescows.

I've got to admit to being a little dubious about veganism, I agree that the world or at least the first world should eat less meat, less but better quality meat and use the whole animal rather than just a few expensive cuts. I'm sure any vegans and vegetarians have a rosy idea of the countryside filled with happy animals eating and not being eaten, which wouldn't happen, we wouldn't be able to afford the land to support them it would be needed for growing other crops. A lot of areas round here wouldn't support other crops, the salt marshes and high mountains with think poor soil and the boggy pastures lower down.

A lot of veganism is environmental, a good aim, but again one I question, soya production is ripping up rain forests, nut milks use vast amounts of water to produce and many of the alternatives to wool and leather are from oil.

I think its good that we're encouraged to think about how our choices impact the planet and everyones health, but I think the true story is a lot more complicated and interconnected than many would have us believe.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 5-Jan-2019 11:13 Message #4732815
I am of the impression that vegans are more likely to suffer from cancers and poor dietary consumption due to the natural lack of a balanced diet, If one wanted to be a herbivore, one would have been a dinosaur and look at them .
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Jan-2019 11:19 Message #4732816
DInosaurs were around for millions of years and were very sucessful until a meteor strike put the planet into a sort of nuclear winter, so I don't think dinosaurs are a good example.

You can have a balanced vegan diet, just as you can have an imblanced meat eating one, just because you eat meat and fish dosen't automatically give you a good and balanced diet. I'm of the opposite impression to you in regard to vegans and cancer.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 5-Jan-2019 11:31 Message #4732819
I eat a good mixture of foods, and that includes being part vegan, vegetarian and a general omnivore , but I cannot imagine not enjoying honey ,cheese, milk, fish or eggs and they don't entertain anything that has eyes or anything that comes from anything with eyes.

So its a definite no to veganism from me but each to their own and I am off to get a fillet steak to go with my duck roasties and eggs.

I feel for kids today , forced by vegan parents not to get their eggs ,milk and other good for you foods.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 5-Jan-2019 12:11 Message #4732820
I simply like lots of vegetables on my plate, always 3 different kinds , some raw, some cooked , but I could not go completely vegan. I need calcium and the proteins .
I sometimes make a vegetarian meal with pulses and grains , but it is not 100% vegan.
leogirl.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Jan-2019 13:19 Message #4732821
I am not sure about vegan. I haven't really looked into it, but from the info I have gained over the years, I think it wouldn't suit me. Vegetariananuary might be better.

I have stated in the past that, in my opinion, most of us are more vegetarian than we think. A lot of meals contain a small percentage of meat, and loads of 'other' stuff. eg.. Spag Bol - often over 50% spag, with the bol containing only a small amount of meat. Curries and Rice - similar. Sunday Roast - a couple of slices of Beef, the rest all veg. All sorts of other things, cauli cheese for instance.

There is some sort of thing with blood groups. I am not sure how reliable the info is, but a doctor wrote some books about it. Different blood groups mean that you handle food types in different ways. So one group means that you make a better meat eater, another group that you should avoid meat and eat veg. Some of it sounds sensible to me, there must be some reasons and differences for our different blood groups.

Another thing, if all vegans were normal weight and healthy, that may make me sit up and take notice of being one, but I don't think they are. There are overweight ones and unhealthy ones. And they are probably sad and unhappy as well, knowing they can't eat lovely meat. lol
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 5-Jan-2019 14:12 Message #4732823
I have been a veggie for a lot of years, but I like my yoghurt, eggs sometime, so I could not be vegan.
I have tried Vegan yoghurts and other products and I didn't like the taste.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 5-Jan-2019 15:34 Message #4732825
Nah, not for me, I always have and always will eat a balanced diet - I love meat, diary, eggs, fish, vegetables, in fact pretty much everything.
Anybody turning vegan is fine by me - do what you like, eat mud if it makes you happy, just don't ram it down my throat (veganism or mud), smash up some poor farmer's property because he/she produces meat or come into a restaurant and disrupt my meal because I'm eating a juicy steak. Otherwise I'm liable to rip your head off and shit down your neck...
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 5-Jan-2019 16:23 Message #4732826
"Nah, not for me, I always have and always will eat a balanced diet - I love meat, diary, eggs, fish, vegetables, in fact pretty much everything."

Well, at least with a "Diary" theres at least one meal every day ;-) lol

Andy Mac
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 5-Jan-2019 17:15 Message #4732827
I love Fruit and Vegetables, but could not go without fish or meat.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 5-Jan-2019 17:58 Message #4732828
Why do vegetarian women never moan after sex?

Because they could never admit to getting pleasure from a piece of meat ;-) lol

Andy Mac
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 5-Jan-2019 18:29 Message #4732829
my best mate cheesecake is vegan and I admire her choice, I,m sure its a healthy way too live and obviously shes against any animal cruelty.thats commendable..
I couldn't do vegan as my will power is yuk and I don't feel strongly enough about animal cruelty to do it, I think if I lived with her I,d be vegan after a week through guilt.lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Jan-2019 18:32 Message #4732830
I get what you say TW, but I think for many meat eaters their first thought is about what type of meat they're having, when you're veggie you think about food differently, for me I tend to think of what carbohydrate I want, do I want a curry or a rissoto if it feels like a rice day, when I ate meat I noticed I planed my meals around what sort of meat I fancied.

I terms of health and environmental impact its the frequency of meat eating rather than it just being the amount. I've read those blood group diet books and I should be eating a diet high in meat and fish and low in carbs, the exact opposite of what my body wants me to eat seeing as I can't digest meat properly. Cauli cheese might not have meat in it but it still has butter, milk and cheese which whilst they maybe vegetarian arn't vegan and still furr up you're arteries and the dairy industry isn't the most environmentally or animal friendly.

As for being vegan and overweight, people forget chips are vegan, eat loads of stuff thats bad for you and you'll get ill, simple as. I know this is subject that gets a lot of people hot and bothered, but I was hoping for a discussion on the ethics, health and environmental benefits or not rahter than having to defend my, or ask other to defend their food choices.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 5-Jan-2019 20:45 Message #4732831
Iceland have a new vegan range that's worth a try.
The No Bull Burgers are tasty. The No Porkies sausages aren't bad, there's also No Chick Strips
and they've now added 2 Vegan Pizza's too,

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Jan-2019 20:59 Message #4732832
I couldn't be good enough to go Vegan, my daughter tried it for weeks and it was difficult, but her brother has been vegetarian for years do he would eat pizza every single day if he could get it.
I occasionally eat meat and nearly always regret it, even having to bin it, so I'm mostly, what is it...piscatarian???
You know, fish.

I have bought bacon today, dry cured free range reduced packet from M&S, but probably freeze it for oldest son visit.

Vegetarian foods can be highly fat content and processed to look like meat so not necessarily healthy either. I think it's about reducing quantity of meat, compassion in farming, caring about source etc. I might have meat once in 3 months.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 5-Jan-2019 21:06 Message #4732833
what do they process in vegan food?...isn't it all natural?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 5-Jan-2019 22:18 Message #4732834
"Well, at least with a "Diary" theres at least one meal every day"

Vegans eat twigs and dried leaves so why can't I eat paper?
At the risk of sounding petty, it should be "there's"

In these modern times I would be surprised if many people adopt a vegan lifestyle and stick to it, many people struggle to find the time to prepare any fresh food from scratch, so sourcing vegan friendly stuff for a family every day would be, I suspect, a nightmare. Let's face it, it has never been easier to buy food, all year round yet we somehow can't find the time to cook it.
All the vegan stuff I've seen talked about over the last few days is hardly nourishing - Greggs have brought out a vegan sausage roll and Chris Packham was praising WH Smiths for their vegan friendly chocolate bars.
I would agree that we need to reconnect with food instead of seeing it as a throwaway item with next to no value. Like much in life, food has little value now, we take it for granted and we think nothing of throwing it in the bin.
Personally, I don't have a problem with animal welfare, killing an animal to eat it is never going to be pleasant but I think we have it about right...
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Jan-2019 23:52 Message #4732839
eurostar,

You'd have to research contents more accurately, but I think it's to do with the type of fat, also much of it is carbs rather than protein. You would compare a chicken breast to some vegan burgers, they might be veggy but might have more salt and binding agent. Unless we make our own, much of it is heavily packed in plastic.

I have read how vegetarians tend to have cleaner arteries and my son stopped meat to reduce his IBS problems. Apparently, if you slightly undereat, your likely to live longer too.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 6-Jan-2019 10:53 Message #4732855
JustLyn 5-Jan-2019 23:52
Apparently, if you slightly undereat, your likely to live longer too.

Or it might just seem that you do !!!
lol
As in most things moderation is the best policy.

As far as Vegan burgers go I don't think they fare to badly on a like for like basis.
e.g. per 100g 190 cals/ 9g fat (1.4g saturated)/ 12g carbs/6.3g fibre/ 12.1g protein.

Sure a beef burger would probably have more protein but then it would also have much more fat (and much more of that would be saturated fat) and little or no carbs or fibre.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Jan-2019 11:38 Message #4732858
I mostly agree with you Hiero, except I don't think we have the animal welfare about right, I think a lot of it it is very wrong, from chicken rearing to the way cows are pumped full of hormones to keep them in milk for longer and the size of their udders. I also think we throw away to much meat and are to picky about what we will and won't eat.

I supose its a good thing that places like Greggs are doing veggie and vegan friendly food, but on the whole I don't like the whole fake meat stuff, I dislike the texture and I find burgers pretty boring.

I think if people try and go vegan or just one family member does and it changes the way people cook and eat it could be a good thing, I think the whole ready meal/save time/to busy to cook thing is a pup we've been sold, in many ways its never been easier to cook quick easy and nutritious meals from scratch, we have slow cookers that will quietly cook our dinner whilst we're out, pressure cookers that will do in 30 mins a dish that would take a couple of hours conventional cooking and microwaves and freezers. I batch cook a lot so as theres always stuff in the freezer for when I've been busy, ill, or am just tired. I also think this idea of adults food and childrens food is wrong, I know children can be fussy eaters, it was painful watching my son pick through his food one grain of rice at a time and there being about 3 things he would eat, in the end I got fed up with it and told my kids they each choose 5 things they really didn't like and I wouldn't serve them but everything else they had to eat or go hungry until the next mealtime and there would be no eating bowls of cereal 30 mins after a mealtime.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Jan-2019 12:26 Message #4732869
Not exactly just food, but the hormones thing.

I've met a couple of men develop breasts because their consultant told them it is all the hormones seeping into our water courses, not just from making animals abnormally bigger to produce too much meat, but also from so many women being on the Pill.

I haven't evidence for that other than it does raise an interesting question and could the consultant have been clutching at straws?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 6-Jan-2019 12:30 Message #4732870
OnlineMSE,

I buy a lot of vegan vegetarian stuff to keep my son off so many pizzas, but he is still overweight through lack of activity and the amount of fat used to bind lookalike meat vegetarian products into a substitute meat alternative on the plate.

Even though one type of fat might be better for the heart, they both represent similar in calories.
Female
alliez  Female  West Yorkshire 6-Jan-2019 16:21 Message #4732875
Not going vegan but will carry on having some vegetarian meals every week.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 6-Jan-2019 17:13 Message #4732880
ok justlyn eew,,,fat and carbs don't sound good, I just assumed they just mashed vegetables and pulses together with herbs...
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 6-Jan-2019 17:55 Message #4732885
I would imagine there are a fair few preservatives and ‘flavour enhancers’ and the like euro. ;0(

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »