Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Ryanair - the Aeroplane people

More rip offs

Male
contender  Male  Leicestershire 4-Jan-2019 19:07 Message #4732774
Just returned from Holiday!

Having gone thought a Travel Site; they also arranged the air travel.

Going out was via Easy Jet which wasn't a problem other than i chose to pre-book the seats at £11.98 (two Seats), and have been caught at the Customs were my Sun tan and After sun removed from the case - so chose to take a larger case to go in the hold at £32.24.

However with Ryan Air:
It used to be 1 month before departure to gain the boarding pass, now it is just 2 days prior to departure?

However i paid for two seats @ £24.96, and my case goes in the hold @ £47.48

Then at the Gate my friend was informed that she couldn't take her smaller case on board as she was wasn't a priority booking and then had to stump up 10 Euros. Where as had she had a priority booking then she could have done.
Sorry I don't know what the Priority booking charge is?

I think next year I will consider another Airline such as Easy Jet

Somewhat miffed over Ryan Air?

Mike
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 4-Jan-2019 20:07 Message #4732783
Priority booking is £6 and you can take two bags into the cabin, one for the overhead locker and the other must fit under the seat. If you pay for a small case to go in the hold it's £8 and you don't have priority boarding. BUT, be warned, everyone is choosing priority booking as it's slightly cheaper so the queue is long.
I travelled priority just before Xmas and will do the same tomorrow on my return but in future I will put the bag in the hold.

The only reason I didn't do it on 20 Dec was because I had a bus to catch from the airport and didn't want to wait for my luggage. As it happened the bus was late, as is the wont of most Irish buses, so I could have used the hold.

I think it is very clear on the booking site and I have no problem following it. Everyone calls Ryanair but what you see is what you get and no-one ever had to pay for extras if they don't want to. I travel with them about four times a year and have never had a problem.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 4-Jan-2019 21:23 Message #4732795
The changes for carry on cases on Ryanair that came into effect on 1st Nov were well advertised, in the press, websites, the news etc. when they were announced in August.
That doesn't help much now but it's no surprise that the budget airlines constantly tweak their T&C's every time they're forced to cut their charges (like removing credit card charges) and it usually means the passengers end up worse off.
Easyjet have now changed their standard booked hold baggage weight limit reducing it from 20kg to 15kg, and if you want more you now have to pay extra for up to 23kg's. At least at the moment you can still take an unlimited weight cabin bag, but now so many take those, that quite often a lot end up in the hold.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 4-Jan-2019 23:12 Message #4732801
When travelling with easyjet, you can elect to have your hand luggage put in the hold at no extra cost when you are checking in (that's at Gatwick). I usually do this as I tend to have hold luggage anyway. I just take a handbag on board .. so much easier than faffing about in and out of the overhead lockers!

So, as you aren't restricted on weight in your hand luggage, you can probably get away with the 15kg limit on your pre-booked hold luggage.
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 5-Jan-2019 04:34 Message #4732804
The way to beat all these extra charges is to fly with a real airline company.

I know people that have travelled with some of the cheap air lines and could not get a drink of water, because they had no cash on them as they were travelling for business with the company booking everything, picking them up at home to dropping them off at home and everything in between.

They and their company no longer use the cheap one, they prefer to pay extra so people travelling can get a drink of water.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 5-Jan-2019 10:05 Message #4732810
TheSarcasticOne 5-Jan-2019 04:34
The way to beat all these extra charges is to fly with a real airline company.
...They and their company no longer use the cheap one, they prefer to pay extra so people travelling can get a drink of water.

Eh! Surely those 2 statements contradict each other. You're not beating extra charges if you're paying extra to avoid them.
And who are real airline companies. Like who? Presumably you mean one of the large national flag carriers.
But you still have to pay for refreshments on those. Maybe not on long-haul but on short-haul which is where the majority of budget airlines operate you will, even on BA, because margins are that much tighter.

But it's just pure fantasy that a flight attendant wouldn't provide a cup of water if asked, but why wouldn't they have just bought a bottle of water in the departure lounge.
And what business traveller wouldn't travel with either some cash on them (including destination currency) or a means of payment like a debit/credit card to buy a drink on board or when away.
And anyway all flights I've been on carry card readers for on board purchases, they even had them back in the days when it was the swipe machine that produced a sale slip you had to sign.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 5-Jan-2019 11:10 Message #4732814
Pure and simple - always read the instructions and you get what you pay for.

We traveled Ryanair to Cyprus in March and Malta in October. Good service and pleasant flights both times.

Trevor
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Jan-2019 15:15 Message #4732824
I haven't flown for ages, but isn't it all a bit like all sorts of other things, competing against each other, but kerfuddling and confusing as many as they can in the process.

A bit like mobile phones. All the different packages, a bit less for this, a bit extra for that. The amount of people who end up with a package that isn't right for them, but it sounded good at the time.

I suppose you have to weigh up everything the best you can, and then just stick a pin in.

Having said that, there are some things that do make some sort of sense.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 6-Jan-2019 23:46 Message #4732907
I've flown with Ryanair a few times. It's the only airline that flies to Kerry in Ireland, so no choice really. They are cheap and I found booking an ordeal, but have got used to it now. And the multiple choices allow you to cut the expense quite a lot.

My only complaint is the landing, not on a single flight has the plane made a smooth landing, the last one was a terrible wobble approach and I'm sure it hit the ground too fast and not quite on 2 wheels!! But, I'm told its the fault of the mountains, up draft or something. I know mountains can cause planes a problems sometimes.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 7-Jan-2019 15:59 Message #4732924
It is very easy to criticise RyanAir because the offer no frills and their customer service can leave a lot to be desired if you have a complaint. On saying that, I have travelled with them a number of times and they do deliver what they promise which is as little as possible.
I can't see why they would be considered a rip off.
Male
contender  Male  Leicestershire 9-Jan-2019 12:55 Message #4733041
Basically we booked via 'On the Beach', and they arranged the air travel both from and return - so we didn't have much choice? Other than i did note if i had booked the seats via the agency then that was a surcharge for then to do it for me.

Mike
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 9-Jan-2019 13:10 Message #4733045
I don’t think you will often hear “Ryan Air .. they were brilliant” lol.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »