Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What is Life all about?

Life

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2019 13:48 Message #4732644
I have come to the conclusion i really do not know what life is all about and the reason we are here !
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Jan-2019 18:53 Message #4732658
Don't worry about it, just enjoy it.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2019 19:13 Message #4732660
Life is just a bowl of cherries... isnt it ???
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Jan-2019 19:16 Message #4732661
I wish lol
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 2-Jan-2019 19:20 Message #4732662
I thought it was like a box of chocolates.
ha! ha!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Jan-2019 19:53 Message #4732664
Isn't chocolates how women described men?
Pre gender political correctness.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 2-Jan-2019 23:45 Message #4732677
I don't know, but sitting here listening to "How Long Will I Love you" (not you per se) by Jon Boden and team, and waiting for "Stranger To Himself" by Sandy Denny, this'll do for me for the time being.
Male
Peterdryrot  Male  Hertfordshire 3-Jan-2019 10:35 Message #4732697
life well there a subject, Im here and i make the best of the bad times but thrive on the good , don't miss any opportunity go for it .
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 3-Jan-2019 14:44 Message #4732711
What is life all about? Some people are exceedingly lucky and have only minor mishaps . They cope well and enjoy life, knowing that their life is full of stuff to enjoy. But there are other people, not miserable moaners either, whose life is more troublesome. perhaps they are in pain most of the time, are unable to go out much , find it difficult to make meaningful relationships, are often very lonely , who find that vital things to enjoy life are missing .
Then it needs a very optimistic and courageous person to see and seek the enjoyable things that are still left.
For myself , it gives me joy to give joy to other people.
In a spiritual way I do believe that we are here for a reason although we may not see it. Just hold on the believe that the universe expands as it should and we all play a minute part in it.

LEOGIRL.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 3-Jan-2019 15:26 Message #4732713
Life's precious ... As hen said live it doint worry about it ... I like Leo s unselfish way .. Giving joy to others ... Seeing a persons smile makes me feel on top the world ... We are all here to make a difference I feel ... :) :):)
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 3-Jan-2019 16:05 Message #4732714
HEAR HEAR Joolsy.
I would not consider myself unselfish Joolsy . in many ways I can be pretty calculating. weighing up effort against gain … in business that is.
You are the optimistic person I had foremost in mind when I wrote my reply to Bunnygirl. .

Leogirl.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Jan-2019 17:31 Message #4732718
I don't give it much thought really. I'm here now and I make the most of it and one day I won't be.

You sound like you need a sense of purpose in your life, Bunny. But from what you write, you seem to live life to the full. What has prompted your spot of navel gazing?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 3-Jan-2019 18:13 Message #4732721
Always look on the bright side of life.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 3-Jan-2019 20:03 Message #4732732
Well Minnie i do try and live life to the full but i do need a purpose for me and i feel empty.

Birthday soon and another year older and still the same for the past eight years now. So at
the moment there is no light at the end of the tunnel lol

Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 3-Jan-2019 20:10 Message #4732733
But having said that i found a new place locally to meet people and they have lots of things going
on during the year. Sundays they have a free breakfast morning but first a church service but not
too heavy and apparently no pressure. So will have to see on Sunday what that is like. Never know
might just be what i am looking for. Maybe some meaning for being in this world lol
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 4-Jan-2019 11:20 Message #4732755
I can understand where you are coming from, BG, as we tend to re-evaluate our lives as time goes on and our circumstances change.

From your posts, it seems to me that you are looking for something that will change your life and make it more fulfilling. However, in my experience, happiness and fulfilment does not come from outside yourself. To rely on others to provide that purpose is not a sustainable option.

Someone once said 'If you aren't happy with your situation and can't change it, change the way you look at it'.

What is it you are looking for? Are you sure the answer lies in finding a partner(something you've mentioned before)? Getting out and about is a good way to extend your social life and for meeting people and finding new opportunities. Yes, you will still return home alone .. but even that can be a blessing to be in your own space and answering to no-one!

Why are we hear? To what purpose? Who knows …. ?
Personally, I couldn't give a toss .. just making the most of what time I have here supporting my family and friends and trying to make a difference where I can, not for any personal gain or profuse thanks, but just for the satisfaction of knowing someone's life has been touched for the better.

(Even to me that sounds a bit twee … but I do really mean it)
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Jan-2019 12:08 Message #4732757
Brucie used to sing 'Life is the name of the game', and 10cc sang 'Life is a minestrone'

And they did alright.

Everyone has different things in their lives, whether happy things or sad things. Some you can't change that much, some you don't want to change, but other things, if they aren't making you happy, can be chucked out, replaced, all sorts of stuff.

The things that make someone happy, won't work for others.

There's no point in me saying all the stuff that keeps me going. Others would hate the same stuff.

You need to do some thinking, but you can also overthink things. It isn't necessarily easy to find what you are looking for.

If the majority of things you are doing makes you feel like 'what is this all about?', then you need to look at other things.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 4-Jan-2019 15:46 Message #4732764
We all need different things in our lives and my Mum said to me once 'I am not the type to be
on their own'. and she is right.

Going out to meet people is alright but coming home and no one to chat with about your day feels
for me empty.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 4-Jan-2019 18:50 Message #4732770
Life is about having fun, leaving good memories in the people we meet, putting a smile on as many faces as possible, (anyway you can), and helping people up, not putting them down.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 10-Jan-2019 10:26 Message #4733129
No idea, Bunny, but some of the replies you got are brilliant and food for thought.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 10-Jan-2019 23:20 Message #4733177
Life is about, different things for different people. Why is there life, I've no idea. It just happened. Are we lucky to be alive, surely.
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 12-Jan-2019 13:44 Message #4733228
I like your comment Gilpin , it is true about life and all being different
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 12-Jan-2019 14:10 Message #4733229
I am not asking for me specifically just a general question of interest that is all.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 12-Jan-2019 21:25 Message #4733235
Life is probably an 'accident' or chance occurrence, no-one knows (yet) and probably never will do.

Why are we here (I take that to mean why are we alive?) well the answer is both simple and complex at the same time:-

Evolution and reproduction are the simple answers, the more complex answer is that over the thousands (or maybe hundreds of thousands) of the generations that our life-form that has existed, countless instances of these life-forms have died without reproducing. Those that did reproduce passed on their genes that pre-disposed their offspring to have a better chance of passing on their genes to the next generation.

That is basic evolution, and evolution is more efficient (weeds out the weakest more quickly) when their is stress in the environment. Stress may be one or more of many forms. Competition for mates to reproduce, lack of food, disease, lack of water, environmental hardship (extremely bad weather), very rapid changes in the climate and other situations are all times of greater stress.

We (as Homo Sapiens) have survived all of the stressful situations in the past 100,000 years or so and emerged as we (collective 'we') are now. Any individuals lacking the drive to reproduce and care for their offspring have a lesser chance of being present in the next generation. Simply put that is evolution and why we are here. Having got 'here' and having developed a reasoning brain Homo Sapiens is somewhat desperately looking for a (higher?) reason to justify it's existence.

God does not fit into this scenario at first sight, maybe 'Man' needs something/one to be a 'pack leader' as the alternative is a step too far for many.

SQL
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 13-Jan-2019 00:42 Message #4733246
"What is life all about?"

Haven't a flippin' clue but I reckon when that gull on Scarborough beach was eyeing my chips up it had a pretty good idea!

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »