Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Speeding

Offence

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 1-Jan-2019 01:47 Message #4732529
Does anyone know what the sentence would be for undertaking a police car, at 125mph, on the M25?
Apparently a well known footballer has done this recently.
Any ideas on a possible defence?
Spam.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 1-Jan-2019 06:08 Message #4732542
To undertake a Police car at that speed I would suggest the Police car wasn't in the correct lane unless this idiot went into the hard shoulder to perform this ludicrous manoeuvre! Throw the book at him! ;-)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 1-Jan-2019 07:02 Message #4732544
It’s not as straightforward as it might appear.

Is undertaking actually an offence? It’s probably careless driving. I use motorways daily and passing slower moving traffic on the nearside when your lane is moving faster is perfectly correct and acceptable depending on the traffic.
Speeding at over 100 mph on the motorway will usually mean a ban but that is discretionary and points with a hefty fine might be given instead. Was the offender actually caught by a speed camera/device?

So if you were in need of a driving licence for your job then you would be less likely to be banned. If you were undertaking the circumstances might not make that an offence.
Speeding to a family emergency or even desperate for the toilet might go some way in mitigation.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 1-Jan-2019 09:30 Message #4732556
It is an interesting case, Joe Bloggs would be banned, but with money defence is possible.
Top motoring lawyer looking for loopholes , if that fails special reason.
With special reason, the driver would be guilty of speeding, but reduced/no sentence.
Special reason in the past included a football manager, that used the hard shoulder to get to the toilet.
Also some have escaped bans for speeding away from danger.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 1-Jan-2019 11:55 Message #4732559
I wouldn't be sure about the police car being in the wrong lane. In the days before smart motorways and speed restriction on gantries, marked police cars would purposefully drive in the outside lane and progressively slow down, in order to make the cars slow down approaching the back of a queue. Anyone who undertook would have been very silly. In that case, I would expect you to be in trouble for not obeying a request from a police officer, rather than just the undertaking.

I'm not sure if undertaking is an actual offence, but they will nick you for dangerous driving, if you appear to be weaving in and out of traffic. Well, that was in the days when you still saw policemen. As long as you don't speed and get caught by cameras, it seems that people can drive like complete morons nowadays and there is no-one to see you. Until the cameras get progressively more sophisticated, I guess.
Male
vintagedave  Male  Northamptonshire 3-Jan-2019 22:11 Message #4732738
Hotorwot,
The Highway Code clearly states that you can only overtake on the left when the vehicle you are overtaking is signalling to turn right. However, it is permissible to overtake on the left when traffic is moving slowly, and the right hand lane is travelling slower than the left hand one.
There are no mitigating circumstances for speeding !
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Jan-2019 10:34 Message #4732748
I always thought police cars would drive at ridiculously slow speeds on motorways to see how slow they could make people go, particulalry at night.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 4-Jan-2019 16:59 Message #4732768
No mitigating circumstances for speeding

That might be true in theory, but not in practice.
The special reason argument, used frequently by Mr Loophole.
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 5-Jan-2019 04:26 Message #4732803
There are sometimes mitigating circumstances.

If you are in fear of your life is one, but to get away with this you must be able to prove it without a doubt.

As a bonded courier carrying things of extreme value we had a code in place to protect us from the bad guys.

You would be surprised at how much a ream of paper can be worth.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 5-Jan-2019 11:10 Message #4732813
TSO..."You would be surprised at how much a ream of paper can be worth"

But not more than a life (particularly in peace time). I hope those couriers were trained up to the standard of the Traffic Police if they were going to be allowed to drive in such circumstances, otherwise it would be better to simply hand over the papers.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »