Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Bacon

Oh Yeah. By the way ... It gives you cancer.

Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 31-Dec-2018 22:27 Message #4732475
We know it already, don't we?

Processed meat lies in a group of 120 + carcinogens (like alcohol, tobacco and asbestos) KNOWN to cause us grave harm ... yet we just go on eating such foods.

I'd read the stories before (over the years) but, again this week, we are being reminded that the nitrates (or whatever) that protect" meat from going off, are seriously, seriously bad for us.

HOW COME we tolerate, accept and eat such foods ... when science is telling us just how dangerous such food is?

Sure. We might say the same for alcohol or tobacco but our food??!!

Could we sue? Could we legitimately have a case against such food manufacturers?

And as an aside ...

Apparently a global, internationally famous company has been selling us talcum powder known to contain asbestos ... for decades ... with the CEO and Directors of said company being entirely aware of that fact.

I recall the thalidomide scandal when I was growing up.

That particular company (if my memory serves me well) spent decades legally fighting every challenge it was presented with ... and even when they eventually acknowledged some blurred, non committal admission ... they went right on to manufacture something re-branded but capable of causing equal devastation. (That's my *layman
understanding of events, anyway.*

BIG MONEY (and the financial business represented by such global concerns) have a wonderful knack of escaping justice.

Is that what is going on with the global processed meat market?

Is that why bacon, (in the dangerous way it is being prepared/preserved/manufactured), is still on our shelves?
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 31-Dec-2018 22:36 Message #4732479
all food can give you cancer but what can you do?...….starve to death instead.

even food you lovingly grow in your garden will have chemicals from the air, water, earth in it that could cause cancerous cells to form.

so what you going to do realistically.. starve?
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 31-Dec-2018 22:43 Message #4732482
Only eat bacon when i take my grandson out for a breakfast once a month. He leaves his bacon.
I only have a childs breakfast anyway so only one rasher.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 31-Dec-2018 22:54 Message #4732486
I prefer to save their bacon. You know, the pigs.

It's the processing that's part of the problem. If you want to eat meat then game like venison is supposed to be healthier.

You don't have to starve.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Jan-2019 07:47 Message #4732548
Looks like we are all going to have to "live on lurve" instead then.

(but I do like a bit o' bacon)
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Jan-2019 07:52 Message #4732550
What 'lurve' have not got anyone to 'lurve' only my children but that is different.

Maybe this year i may be lucky. Yeah Yeah Yeah
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Jan-2019 12:01 Message #4732561
I think if you look at older recipes for preserving pork into bacon or ham theres much less of the harmful ingredients, so it maybe worth looking at small artisan producers or curing your own.

I don't like bacon and never have, especially when its crispy.

I don't use talc either. I guess this is just another reason to use small producers where you can track and trace products and their ingredients
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 1-Jan-2019 13:03 Message #4732576
Yes WH, the occasional time I buy bacon it's a small amount from the artisan type shop, or sometimes home rearerd free range dry cured from any supermarket when it's reduced. Probably only a handful of times a year.

I'm not vegetarian but very low consumer of meat. I often regret it and don't enjoy it.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 1-Jan-2019 14:06 Message #4732579
I have known for many years of the dangers of talcum powder and how cancerous it is to breath in the fine powder, or absorb it through other parts of the body, especially for babies and young girls. I would always avoid at all costs.
As to bacon and processed meat, for the reasons stated I would not eat. I never actually liked bacon as a child as found it too salty and would always refuse. But for the last twenty years I have not eaten processed meat either, along with red meat. I prefer to keep to whole foods and cook from scratch, keeping to fish, veggie and some poultry. And I also love salads. Too much of our food is tampered with these days, just to make it last longer etc. and make big profits.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 1-Jan-2019 14:27 Message #4732584
Sea Urchin,

Yes, I am fortunate to not live too far from a community grocery, entirely vegan, no milk or cheese but as locally produced products as much as possible.

It's great to buy mix and match plastic free apples of varieties I've never heard of, all the same price.
Male
InSanityClaus  Male  Cornwall 1-Jan-2019 14:34 Message #4732585
Mayhaps the words of the "scientists" should be taken with a pinch of salt, if you start in Scandinavia, travel down through Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, into Poland then Germany etc etc etc all the way to Italy Spain Portugal across Croatia then Greece and probably several more countries, what do you find? a diet rich in salami, salumi, smoked sausage, and hundreds of other similar products...yet they are not being decimated by this cancerous plague, quite the opposite from what I've seen ( and eaten!!) Are we sure we are not being fed (sic) some fake news by an axe grinding snowflake millennial?...………..just saying
Male
InSanityClaus  Male  Cornwall 1-Jan-2019 14:43 Message #4732587
I would just add, I was raised on a farm. and from the age of 5 maybe 6 I have eaten bacon every day (so 64-ish years, and still alive) and possibly for the past 40 or so years I have, cured and smoked my own bacon, smoked my own sausages, and produced my own ham and salami, and I ain't dead yet, and I don't have cancer...…..makes you think
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 1-Jan-2019 17:13 Message #4732595
InSanityClaus,

I can see how it can appear that way, but there are exceptions to everything. You might be blessed by a genetically resistant constitution?

Take smoking as an example. You'll always get a non-smoker dying of lung cancer for no apparent reason, and you'll get a long-lived health smoker who lives until 100.

One of the reasons medical and now nursing staff have to include research in their training is to not jump to conclusions on snippets of what can seem logical sense. Temple Grandin, an autistic animal behaviourist and study of human behaviour states one of the human natural inclinations is to associate what might initially make sense, though I concede some evidence is badly constructed, generally, we are supposed to use a much bigger group of people to really know what the trends are.

I haven't checked, but maybe the heavy sausage consumers of Germany have some other component in their diet, lifestyle, or genetics that counteracts the damage?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Jan-2019 18:27 Message #4732605
As I said commercially produced products have far ore of the bad stuff in them than traditionally made products.

Male
staBinthedark  Male  central London 22-Jan-2019 18:47 Message #4733843
Mmmm, I love a bacon sarnie and a fry-up from time to time and I don't intend on paying MORE for the organic produce

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »