Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

ABC murders

did anyone watch it?

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 30-Dec-2018 10:47 Message #4732259
Mum and I watched it and this new adaptation with John Malkovich as Poirot was very odd and not very faithful to the original book, it went into Poirots backstory where we find he's actually a runaway priest rather than a detective and was a refugee from WW1 and ran "murder weekends" as entertainments. It was like a mix of Agatha Christie and some Scandi crime drama, all dark and moody cinnematography and jumping backwards and forwards in time so you rarely know when you're seeing.

I found it disapointing.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 30-Dec-2018 12:23 Message #4732265
I didn't watch it .. didn't like the look of John Malkovich as Poirot. Having read all the books when I was younger and seen quite a few of the Poirot series on TV, he didn't look at all like he does in my imagination. For the same reason I wouldn't want to see Murder on the Orient Express with what's-his-name in the Poirot role.

I do hate it when people feel the need to do a new interpretation of classic books and films. It's like they can't find anything new to write about and just re-hash with an 'all-star' cast. I'm open to seeing something different in what's actually been written, but inventing back stories and long-lost family members and the like just turns me off.

The actual stories themselves have stood the test of time so I see no reason to alter them .. often for the worse.
Female
alliez  Female  West Yorkshire 31-Dec-2018 12:19 Message #4732319
Recently watched a rerun of the ABC murders with David Suchet as Poirot so gave the new one a miss ... sounds like I made a good choice!
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 31-Dec-2018 13:49 Message #4732327
I to haven't watched it as like alliez says i also have recently watched the ABC murders drama with David Suchet as Poirot the only thing now is i will probably have to watch the latest take on it if only to find out if i actually missed anything or not, lol

If you ask me Davis Suchet is an hard act to follow even though Peter Ustinov made a very good effort.

Andy Mac
Female
Lainiepops  Female  Hampshire 31-Dec-2018 15:01 Message #4732330
I recorded it all to watch at a later date... seen half an hour.. deleted it all lol
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 31-Dec-2018 16:13 Message #4732338
Agree with you, WH.
Im a big fan of Agatha Christie stories brought to life on the small screen but the biggest problem with this one was the John Malkovic casting and interpretation. Various characters in the drama kept saying how they "loved" Poirot, but it was difficult to believe anyone could love this cardboard cut-out figure; and why did he speak in that robotic voice? It was monotone, slow, metric, and plain weird. It had no Gallic rhythm, inflection, or intonation to excuse it on the grounds of an Anglicised Belgian accent.
And yes, the whole programme was just sombre with no light and shade to give it even an atmospheric texture.
Nil points from me!
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 2-Jan-2019 09:38 Message #4732621
Well I'm going to buck the trend and say that I don't think it's too bad.
I think people have been too caught up with comparing it to a Ustinov or Suchet depiction of Poirot and previous versions of the story.
There are always different versions screenwritten, so why not do something different as a stand alone.
Maybe adding Malkovich was a good idea given he's often played parts that are a bit more sinister especially given this versions dark sub-plot ie. Poirot's seemingly troubled and mysterious past, the BUF, the landlady's sideline etc. rather than a straight forward Christie whodunnit which can sometimes be a bit fluffy.
Although it is a bit weird having someone who apparently speaks perfect French, Malkovich, made to speak in bad Frenglish like in an episode of "Allo, Allo".
Female
Christy K  Female  Warwickshire 2-Jan-2019 10:46 Message #4732623
I thought it was convoluted tripe and JM's accent was dreadful. I wondered how much was Agatha Christie, I didn't see the previous one with the lovely Belgian detective with the little grey cells?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 2-Jan-2019 11:26 Message #4732630
I never liked Suchet as Poirot so I watched a few minutes of Malkovich who I thought was even worse. By coincidence when changing channels I caught Ustinov playing Poirot and he as definitely the best of the bunch.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 10-Jan-2019 10:36 Message #4733133
I enjoyed it. Just took it as a stand alone detective story and didn't linger too long on comparison with other Poirot portrayals.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »