Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Help, my car my lovely

little car is sick

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 20-Dec-2018 18:51 Message #4731632
Yesterday I asked Manthing to check and refill the oil and water which he did, today the speedo wouldn't work and then the engine light came on although it seemed to running fine. I tried to take it to a nearby garage and the bloke was pretty useless, he said I could use it as it was running alright, even though the engine light was on and the speedo still not working. All he did was check the oil level and put a splash more in, he said he couldn't do anything with it until after the new year, which is ok, he's as entitled to a holiday as anyone else, but help!! I will try and get it to my normal garage tomorow, if I can get Manthing up to bring me back, I doubt that unless it something simple I will be without my car and stuck with Manthings monster truck which scares me half to death driving until the new year. Help, anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong with it, its an old W reg corsa but in very good condition with only 32k miles on it?
Spam.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 20-Dec-2018 19:32 Message #4731640
Does the car have an ECU (Engine Control Unit), I am guessing no, because sounds like the mechanic did not do a diagnostic check.
You need a diagnostic (if possible), or a mechanic that can find the engine fault.
A lot of mechanics avoid any car without an ECU, they simply do not know what to do.

You can buy cheap DIY diagnostic tools.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 20-Dec-2018 20:09 Message #4731651
It will be fine... I had many a Corsa in my young man days, all kinds of lights came on, still went fine. No problem.

I'd guess it's a sensor on the exhaust somewhere or a crank shaft sensor...

Only times I saw a engine management light on any of mine.

As for Speedo... No idea!
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 20-Dec-2018 20:38 Message #4731657
I thought it was illegal to drive a vehicle with the speedo nit working? In which case that mechanic was talking rubbish!
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 20-Dec-2018 20:58 Message #4731666
Please recharge car main battery over night - with cables disconnected to avoid damage to Alternator diodes.

Modern car electronics are very susceptible to low battery voltage.

Alternate course - do a HARD RESET - this means disconnecting battery cables and holding them firmly together for say 1/2 minutes - this discharges the current held in module capacitors.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RADIO CODE BEFORE DOING ABOVE AS IT WILL NEED REINPUT AFTER

Both above are in effect a hard reset - second one is though quicker - but first one should sort root cause
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 21-Dec-2018 00:01 Message #4731695
As Nigel says - unless the speedometer has become defective during the current journey or the vehicle is being driven to the place where the defect will be rectified, it is an offence to use the vehicle on public highways.

Some may offer in their defence that they use alternative methods of assessing speed, such as engine noise, or tachometer in conjunction with their own experience of vehicle and road conditions, but it would seem that is not a reliable defence.

Others might rely on the speed indication inherent in their GPS.

Whatever, 'The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, Section 35 Speedometers' seems pretty clear to me.

Anyway 'hen, I thought there was a thread on here around October where the topic of a replacement car for you was aired ? It seems that idea didn't reach fruition.
But given that the speedo packing up is coincident with an unspecified engine problem indication, do you fancy a trial go in my Skoda Fabia ?
(Thinks: I might even gather up some part-rotted seaweed to keep me company on the return journey.)
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 21-Dec-2018 09:01 Message #4731716
From web blogs it seems it can be a common problem with Corsas.
If it's a mechanical speedo it could just be that the cable has become unconnected where it joins the gearbox or the cable has failed between the gearbox and the back of the speedometer.
If it's electronic it could be a fuse or relay which has failed and from some web blog replies it seems that when this happens it sometimes also knocks out the reversing lights. So might be worth checking that too.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 21-Dec-2018 10:50 Message #4731726
Thanks guys, I spoke to Manthings son last night and he reckons its a sensor that blown and the engine light comes on just to tell theres a problem and its a simple fix. I think it is a mechanical speedo, it certainly has no computerised doodah's. Warmanddeft, this is my new car, it may be old, but with that mileage it might as well be new, we checked out the governments MOT website and it only failed one MOT and that was for a worn tyre, all we were told by the seller checked out
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 21-Dec-2018 11:06 Message #4731731
Very reassuring to learn that 'Hen. And I imagine that it's only if you get pulled over for some other reason and the car gets a good looking at by the bobby, that a defective speedo in a stationary vehicle would even be noticed. Have a good one.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 21-Dec-2018 18:45 Message #4731759
I drove Manthings truck today and I don't need to drive again until next week, I think my little car would fit inside his monster.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 21-Dec-2018 18:55 Message #4731761
"I drove Manthings truck today and I don't need to drive again until next week, I think my little car would fit inside his monster."

What kind of truck is it?
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 22-Dec-2018 09:35 Message #4731802
A big one apparently.

No, titter not !!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Dec-2018 10:47 Message #4731804
A hyundai terracan.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »