Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Brexit time bomb

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 18-Dec-2018 18:52 Message #4731315
A total of 3,500 troops will be put on standby for any crisis triggered by a no-deal Brexit. Gavin Williamson said the soldiers would be ready to “support any government department on any contingencies they may need”.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 18-Dec-2018 18:56 Message #4731317
what on earth is all this costing ???
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 18-Dec-2018 19:04 Message #4731318
With over 17 million voting for Brexit, then if that vote is overturned, and only 1% of those decide to cause agro, then that is 170,000 will be in riots and protests etc. They are going to need a bigger boat ( quote from Jaws ) to deal with all that lot. And that is only 1%.

It had better not happen.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 18-Dec-2018 19:04 Message #4731319
Gosh ... Are they expecting a civil war or something ...
Spam.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 18-Dec-2018 19:42 Message #4731324
They do love their scare stories. Maybe they think Junker is going to lead an offensive across the channel, if he can see straight, it would have to be before the bar opens at lunchtime. Ok that's a joke of course, yes it is.
Spam.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 18-Dec-2018 22:10 Message #4731352
I have the Andersen air raid shelter in the garden and stocked up on booze so I am ok.

I might volunteer for the Dad's Army if we have a regiment in the village. They don't like it up em.
Spam.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 18-Dec-2018 23:25 Message #4731364
Well if we change Junker into a bunker we could put coal (not good for the environment I know) in it and set it on fire thats one Bureaucrat up in flames lol
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 18-Dec-2018 23:27 Message #4731365
Lol Bella.

It’s wise to have taken steps in case of violent problems but you have to hope that there wouldn’t be enough scumbags and thugs to actually create a serious problem.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 19-Dec-2018 07:46 Message #4731380
If my local FB page is anything to go by, there are some very nasty people about and the fact that a lot of them live in my home town, makes me very nervous. The rhetoric is getting pretty ugly about what they will do if they do not get their own way.
Spam.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 19-Dec-2018 09:56 Message #4731393
Democracy hasn’t been denied yet. I find it interesting that during the Brexit campaign the Brexiteers always stated that no deal was not an option and that a deal would be formulated over a period of time.

Spam.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 19-Dec-2018 10:41 Message #4731398
I think the nation is in danger of getting itself into a major panic - just because troops are on standby doesn't mean they are armed and ready to shoot on sight. Troops do all manner of stuff during floods and such like.
It seems the Government are upping the anti, giving everybody something to think about over the Christmas break and concentrating their minds - the health secretary said he has become the world's biggest buyer of fridges...hmm really??!!
If you work in the NHS you might be in line for really cheap fridge after Christmas when they aren't needed, assuming they exist, of course.
It's shit or bust folks, sort it out, vote for a deal or face armageddon...
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 19-Dec-2018 11:23 Message #4731404
Just more scare tactics. Shows how low they are prepared to go to get her crap deal through.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 19-Dec-2018 11:35 Message #4731405
Democracy hasn’t been denied yet. I find it interesting that during the Brexit campaign the Brexiteers always stated that no deal was not an option and that a deal would be formulated over a period of time.

Absolutely. Mrs May has been fighting hard to get the Brexit deal through but the government needs to be prepared for whatever might happen due to Brexit or lack of Brexit. It is a great shame that those supporting brexit haven't come up with any ideas themselves other than moaning.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 19-Dec-2018 11:46 Message #4731408
I don't think troops are on standby for civil unrest but for logistical support, customs, border checks and stuff like that. They really should of been preparing for this from when they triggered article 50, instead of assuming that everything would be fine.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 19-Dec-2018 12:44 Message #4731414
Without any real inside knowledge of politics, other than watching 'Yes Minister' and the likes, I don't know what goes on, but I would very much think that there is plenty going on behind the scenes, before it becomes public.

I think there is probably a lot of preparing going on, but instead of playing it out in public, and changing their minds here and there and adding bits, and just general think tank stuff, they are doing it all in private. ( I don't believe I have just used the 'think tank' buzzword, i'll be saying 'Let me bounce this off you' next. )
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 19-Dec-2018 13:02 Message #4731416
There were about 13,500 members of the military assisting with security at the 2012 Olympics.
No-one blinked at eye or made a comment about that.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 19-Dec-2018 18:55 Message #4731482
Bella

Well if we change Junker into a bunker we could put coal (not good for the environment I know) in it and set it on fire thats one Bureaucrat up in flames lol
……….

Poor drunker Junker was found in bunker

Couldn't resist.
Male
InSanityClaus  Male  Cornwall 19-Dec-2018 20:01 Message #4731500
Wonderoushen has got it right, I don't want to be pedantic, BUT, Gavin Williamson did not use the word troops, or soldiers, his statement was "3500 service personnel" with a multitude of skills to assist where the work load requires. Quite a distance from the Left Wing Remoaning Fear factory trying to conjure images of body amour clad machine gun toting bayonet waving cyborgs rampaging down the street.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 31-Dec-2018 16:21 Message #4732341
I see the Gov has already syphoned £14Million to a ferry company in reediness for a no deal brexit to supposedly speed up the transit of urgent goods that doesn’t seem to have any assets let alone ships, i wonder how many Tory gov ministers are on the board of that company and apparently it has been vetted by the Gov, lol

Andy Mac
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 31-Dec-2018 16:30 Message #4732343
The government have indeed been making many contingency plans in case of a no deal Brexit. Thousands of small businesses have been receiving regular updates of these plans and necessary actions companies will have to take the moment a no deal Brexit happens.
Mrs May has been fighting hard for a fair deal but we all knew that would be an impossible task even though she seems to have done better than expected.
The die-hard no-deal dummies Will never be happy or accept their share of the responsibility for standing back with no plans.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »