Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

This guy keeps coming round to my hous!

What to do?

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Dec-2018 15:46 Message #4730575
Got in touch with these gardeners and now the guy in charge keeps knocking on my door.

He asked me at first if he could clean out the guttering and other jobs and i told him i do not
want them done.

Then he asks me if i have anyone. He came round again today althought he came last time and i
did not answer the door. This time as i was going out someone knocked at the door and it was him.
He again asked me if i had found someone as i told him before i had but not sure if i really liked him
not thinking anything of it. But now not so sure. Told him this time i had met someone but does not
deter him and as i was going shopping he said i will see you in the new year.

What should i do without being aggressive towards him. I hate people just coming round and feel i have no privacy in my house.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 10-Dec-2018 16:26 Message #4730578
Maybe you need to warn him that if he persists then you'll have the law'n him.

Incidentally, one of the clever witty songs written by Benny Hill is called "Garden of Love". You can easily find its lyrics and videos of him singing it.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 10-Dec-2018 16:29 Message #4730579
Well, BunnyGirl, what can you do? It's a bit of a toughie but if you are not happy and you really are not interested then phone the police and ask them how you may deal with the situation i’m sure they wont mind you asking but not only that it also registers that you have shown a dislike to this situation in case it should ever escalate.

The only other thing to do is to look him straight in the eye and tell him to Foxtrot-Oscar and if he keeps pestering you then you will call the police.

Good luck :)

Andy Mac
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Dec-2018 16:41 Message #4730580
Yes Jeff and Andy Mac i thought of those things. So when he comes again i will tell him straight and if that does not work then i will tell him i will go to the police.

Thank you
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 10-Dec-2018 16:51 Message #4730582
Chatting about personal issues with strangers is usually unwise.
Did you find the gardening company online? Only a mobile number and no address? A lot of travellers in particular do this work and can be very persistent. More so than most local companies would be. The guy could be chancing his arm at a bit of romance or some work on your property or both.
I would tell him firmly that you are dating and would prefer him not to call again. If he does then have a quiet word with the police but better if you don't have to resort to this as it might turn nasty!
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Dec-2018 16:55 Message #4730584
No a leaflet was pushed through my door. Not sure about the address tho.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Dec-2018 16:59 Message #4730585
I think you are right in what you say so now am feeling scared.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 10-Dec-2018 17:41 Message #4730587
No need to be scared, good advice above.
Make sure you never give this person any work.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Dec-2018 17:41 Message #4730588
BG

If he calls again, dont answer the door. If he catches you, say you are in a hurry & cant stop. Dont get into any conversation with him, or if you cant get away without saying anything, be abrupt. DONT give any personal informstion or details whatsoever. I know its not in hyour nature but be 'of'f with him.

He is most prob one of the local 'travellers' who go around with door to door leaflets and charge a fortune if they even turn up for the job. Never let anyone do the gutters chimneys, hedges, or any work inside or outside unless they are personally recommended.

I know its very hard for a woman on her own as we usually get taken for a ride anyway. But there are people out there who prey on singletons, esp us ladies.

If you feel threatened or worried, then ring the local police and discuss with the Community Police Officer. They will make a note of it and also advise you.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Dec-2018 18:13 Message #4730593
Most of the stuff i was gong to say has already been said.

He sounds as though he is trying it on.

What I will say though, is that from your initial post, it seems that you engaged in conversation with him about dating. Whether any of that was yourself giving the impression you were a bit interested, or him just being persistent, I don't know, but you mentioned that you told him you were seeing someone, but you weren't sure you really liked him. That would probably have 'raised his hopes' or whatever. For instance, if someone I was asking out said that to me, I would probably try a follow up, if I was that interested, to see if the situation had changed. You need to make sure he knows once and for all that you aren't interested. No maybe's, just a total no.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Dec-2018 18:32 Message #4730594
Well i must admit now that i was not thinking just trying to be polite. Looking back i now realise that he is into me for whatever reason ha ha So i did tell him today i have someone and he was taken back
but obviously has not deterred him as he said he would come back in the New Year. Sometimes i am a bit slow as i never think of things like that as i am not interested in him. If i was then it would be different. I did not realised that i was playing into hands (so to speak..
Male
HAPPYMATT  Male  South East London 10-Dec-2018 20:31 Message #4730611
as an ex Police Officer this is clearly harassment contact the desk sergeant at your local Police Station Matt
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Dec-2018 20:52 Message #4730614
Ok Matt thank you. I will go before Christmas.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Dec-2018 10:58 Message #4730635
Have you got a door chain? If not get one fitted and use it. I've had similar problems with guys coming round on the knock wanting to repair roofs and gutters and do garden work, they're a pain in the bum and really difficult to get rid of. My nieghbours fell for it and had thier perfectly good guttering ruined and half of it ended up in my front garden, I went ballistic at the guys doing it and they left me alone after a while. But you do have to stand your ground and be firm and assertive, its not easy when they ignore you or try and chat you up, but its a ploy, a ploy to put you off your guard, to change the subject, to have power over you. They did try and do my gutters at the same time as my neighbours without my permission and I insisted that they put it back as they found it, luckily they'd only just started, but I did threaten to call the police.

Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 11-Dec-2018 11:02 Message #4730636
one thing no one has suggested, make a note of his vehicle reg. no...just in case.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Dec-2018 14:26 Message #4730650
Yes WH do not let him get the chance of trying to get in the house as i go out in the front garden to talk to him as i honestly thought he was just asking me if i needed any jobs at first. It is only now and chatting on this thread that it was two reasons why he comes round. One is for jobs and the other is
to well you all know why. So now i shall not answer the door if i can help it. And tell him quite firmly
to go away or i will go to the police. Which i will do anyway so they know what is going on.

Also fosy his van is parked away from my house so will have to go round the back and try and get his number plate that way. If he sees me then so be it. Maybe then he will know i mean business.

Why are men so horrible. You try to be polite and it does not work. Always have to resort to harsh methods. And it does scare me coz you never know these guys what they are thinking inside their heads.

I did at first contact him through the leaflet which was pushed through my letter box to put my fence up which the wind blew it over. Also had a patio done. Everything was ok. So not sure why he should keep coming round as i gave him no encouragement whatsoever as i am not like that.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Dec-2018 14:29 Message #4730651
It seems you cannot trust anyone these days.

I need OTB here to sort him out ha ha (only joking)
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Dec-2018 15:57 Message #4730655
"Why are men so horrible. "

He is a poor example of a man I'm afraid! And that is the pearls of being a hottie Bunny! Hehehe

I would advise telling him you are spoken for, telling him you belong to someone else, and I mean those key phrases exactly. I'd even advise if you have a brother or a male friend, married, single or not, to come round and answer the door... and just be there.

I think, judging by this guys actions, he may be beyond this above advise. I would recommend the police.

I wouldn't recommend being aggressive or in anyway, rude... as it may set the psycho off.

I had a very dodgy Irish man, covered in face and head tattoos, at my door a while back. He was wanting to do my driveway, clear all the weeds and wash the monoblocking. He even produced a very poor photo copy of a driveway he had done... couldn't see a thing it was that bad. The convo went like

Me: No thanks mate.
Him: We are really good and a very professional job will be done!
Me: My uncle has his own business, he would consider it an insult if I let anyone else touch my drive!
Him: Will he Give you a good price?
Me: Yes! He does it for fuckall! Can you beat that?

And off he walked.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Dec-2018 16:09 Message #4730658
My brother lives far away. Do not know any male friends but most guys do not like to get involved anyway. Did tell my son who lives with me but not sure what he thought just went quiet. Lol
This guy always comes in the morning tho. It makes me feel uneasy and now not feelimg happy
so my Christmas will not be very good knowing he will come back next year. Also,i deleted his number before this time he started to come round. Cannot find him on the internet.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 11-Dec-2018 16:41 Message #4730659
Maybe you give off the wrong signals BunnyGirl. From your post I can see why he may have thought you were interested or naive or both and these travelling tradesmen can usually judge a situation and take advantage.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Dec-2018 16:58 Message #4730660
Well did not know i was as he did do some work for me. It was his sons who did all the work.
I just stayed in the house or went out to get the money. I think some men just do not need any
encouragement as that is the way they are. But not sure why he comes round as he asks me if
i need any jobs done plus also if i have met anyone. Told him i have. But still coming round in
the New Year. I will have to tell him straight or i will call the police for harassment.
God if you cannot talk to someone without being rude ! After this i will not talk to any male.
Also have told him before i do not need jobs done. What else can i say.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 11-Dec-2018 17:54 Message #4730664
How do these type of scams work?

They try and get a job, any job, when the job is finished the price suddenly changes.
It will have an extra zero, or maybe 2 zeros.
They work on verbal agreement, so no contract.
When you refuse to pay, then they become nasty until you pay.
Not only that, but details are passed around, so more scammers chance it.

HB, my friend had his drive done, verbal quote 250 quid.
When finished price became 5000 quid, when asked the original quote was per square metre.
Fortunately he is rich, so paid over the odds to get rid

Some scammers target vulnerable people, usually an older person that lives on there own.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Dec-2018 18:45 Message #4730667
I don't think you were nessercarilly giving off the wrong signals, many of these guys have a hide like elephants and take no notice of anything they don't want to hear. Don't engage with him, don't tell him anything about you, don't tell him you've got a bloke around if you haven't, he'll probably challenge you by asking to speak to him man to man about the problems with your property and work that needs doing, according to him. Tell him to go away, not come back and if he does you'll phone the police, you may even find he's already known to police.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Dec-2018 20:44 Message #4730672
I feel sure these chaps are part of the local traveller community and they will be persistent unless you take some action yourself by giving the cold shoulder. Dont have any chat with them at all, and def dont let them do any more work - they are con merchants.

It would def be a good idea for you to have a chat with the local police community officer, as, from your postings, it shows that you are very worried and anxious BG. No-one has to put up with harrassment.

Dont let the B's get to you. they are so practised at it, they dont miss any opportunity, and will be persistent if they think there is a chance of any money. The fact they he leaves his car away from your house is very suspect. Good advice above to try & get the car number and give it to the Community poilice. I expect they will be aware of them. BTW they always have lots of 'brothers, nephews etc'.

Am sending you some info privately too
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Dec-2018 21:25 Message #4730675
Victoriana, i am not sticking up for him but i live where there is no access to my property so anyone with a car have to park it in the road close to me and then walk up to where i live.

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »