Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Snakes as Pets

With Kids!

Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 5-Dec-2018 21:06 Message #4730257
Hi Folks!

Stealing a topic from JVS... again! Hehehe

Topic today, Should you be allowed to own a snake and have kids in the house?

I wouldn't have a snake with kids around, I'm not a snake person. I did have a snake living with me some years ago, my brother lived with me and he owned one. I would be more worried about any diseases and things along those lines, than the snake attacking the children.

It got me wondering, how would the statistics look... amount of snakes, amount of snake attacks on people/kids, compared to the number of dogs, and dog attacks on people/kids.

As many of you know, I'm a absolute dog lover, love dogs to bits. I'd say dogs around kids are more likely to be dangerous, just based on the number of dog attacks I see/hear in the media... apart from one, I can't think of a snake attack on a child... but there are much less snakes...

Bit of a odd one for me...

Your thoughts?
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 5-Dec-2018 23:16 Message #4730280
A thought regarding snakes as pets comes from a passage in: 'The girl from Venice', Martin Cruz Smith (2017).

The family had a pet python which customarily curled up on the bed with the lady of the house.
There came an occasion when, instead of being able to nestle around the python's coils, the lady found the animal lying out straight beside her.
She 'phoned her friendly vet, who told her:

"Get out of bed and get everybody out of the house. He is measuring you."
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Dec-2018 23:34 Message #4730282
It depends if it’s a two foot snake in captivity or a twenty foot python roaming the house.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Dec-2018 15:29 Message #4730317
I wouldnt like it at all.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »