Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Thud!

Caught on camera.

Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 3-Dec-2018 12:52 Message #4730065
That's me!! Aaaragh!!

The realisation that the back of my head was not a good match to the view from the front brought home just how much hairy debris had been present when cleaning the shower drain over recent weeks.

OK. Doc says helpfully, alopecia is not symptomatic of any other condition and it might grow back, but that hair loss is not unknown around my time of life. So that's reassuring.
Right, a bit of a blow to self-image, but stuff happens and worse things happen at sea .. and elsewhere.
At present, little change in appearance from the front, so no intention of changing current profile photo.

BUT with my own view that comb-overs look unutterably awful (along with ear and nostril 'sprouts') some deliberate change of hairstyle is clearly necessary. Just to save anyone from going down that path, the intake of non-essential chemicals is a no-no, as is the adoption of some small, furry beastie to cling to my crown or getting rabbits tattooed on the exposed scalp.

'Tinternet does give me some 'styling' ideas, but these (such as 'buzzcut') are somewhat too radical and I don't want to frighten the horses,
So, to make the best of what remains my own, I turn to a widespread, UK-based audience who can be relied upon for their often forthright and frequently humorous views.

I thank you.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 3-Dec-2018 13:32 Message #4730067
DONT PANIC!! Mr warmundaft,

It happens to the best of us! lol

Even I, who dreads going, dare I say, bald, have in the last 3 or 4 years developed a bit of a bare patch on top at the back.
But I only see the full extent of it in the Barbers array of mirrors, as I don't go very often, I only see it on rare occasions! perhaps 4 times a year!! lol.

Anyway, I heard ...
If your bald at the front, its sexy
and if your bald at the back, you ' think' your sexy! lol ;-}

It don't say much fer me tho' lol lol.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 3-Dec-2018 13:36 Message #4730068
P.S. i'm still as handsome as ever from the front!!! lol ;-}
Female
Lulu70  Female  South East London 3-Dec-2018 14:25 Message #4730071
As a very attractive bald man once said to me... "I save time doing my hair so I can spend more time with my woman"
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 3-Dec-2018 16:20 Message #4730078
I go into my local Primary School once a week to hear the children read. We were doing a comprehension exercise the other week where they had to decide if the man in the story was kind or bold. I asked them what bold meant and the majority said ' Is it when you have no hair?'

So guys, don't worry about becoming follicaly challenged ... it's just means you are getting bolder!!
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Dec-2018 17:02 Message #4730081
Carry on carrying on and don't worry about it.
Worry makes your hair drop out.
Anyway, another reason for men of a certain age not to worry, hair on the male head starts to grow inwards not outwards and makes an exit out of whatever other orifices that it can find instead.,
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Dec-2018 17:03 Message #4730082
And I would agree that the delightful vanners is every bit as devilishly handsome as he has always been.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Dec-2018 17:30 Message #4730088
The shaven 'bald' look for men has been around for years. For some, to make themselves look 'ard', for others to make themselves look 'cool', and for others a bad haircut gone wrong.

I saw an old Twilight zone the other day, and there was a younger Telly Savalas with hair. Not the 'Kojak' look he took on in later years. Most would remember that bald look.

Also, Uncle Fester from the Addams family, played by Jackie Coogan. Originally a child actor, working with Chaplin, he played many 'haired' roles, before becoming the recognised bald Uncle Fester.

Many actors have done the shaven thing, in many films. And many 'normal public' have done it to copy them.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Dec-2018 19:04 Message #4730094
Yul Brynner with hair was so gorgeous.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 3-Dec-2018 22:34 Message #4730120
I suffer with alopecia too. Only patches but enough to be noticeable sometimes and after 8+ years I've come to accept it's not temporary. I get through it by thinking how lucky I am that it's not total hair loss and not due to anything like chemo, there's a lot of people with much worse problems out there.

Have your iron levels checked, particularly your ferritin. You won't grow new hair if your levels are low. Make sure you're getting enough protein and sleep, that your B12 level is OK and that you avoid stress as much as you can. Don't get persuaded by any tonics or potions, just a huge waste of time and money.

Oh, and wear a hat on windy days!

Good luck with it x
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 4-Dec-2018 00:27 Message #4730129
All good thoughts folks. Ta muchly for your input.
Very unlikely tumbleweed, that I would be at all convincing trying to look 'well 'ard' - for one thing I smile too much. Mustn't forget though, with all these movie stars in mind, it didn't do Demi Moore any harm. Just imagine getting in clinch when it just starts to grow - 'twould be like banging a couple of boot brushes together.
And as for 'cool', maybe that would tend to contradict my online handle.

Some useful ideas Rosey, all the more appreciated from one with experience, but Doc having iron deficiency in mind, took a good look and accepted what I told him about diet and alcohol and so discounted anemia, thus not best use of time etc to have a blood test - especially in light of my regular blood donations. Oh - while you're there mentioning ferritin, I did say no 'small furry beasties' please.

So far Minnie, no sign of 'inward growth' escaping from unexpected orifices, but thanks for the warning.
And to all for references to increased sexiness - a great consolation - thanks again - no worries.

Gosh ! Look at the time - back to being a pumpkin I guess.
Alternatively, I could do the Star Trek thing and 'baldly go' ('twern't me, blame Ju).
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Dec-2018 11:16 Message #4730155
Keep it short all over, but not shaven, maybe think about getting yourself a set of clippers, they come with combs that protect the scalp as well as setting the length of the cut. You should be able to get a decent set for under £20, I'd recomend Wahl as a brand, but find some you're comfortable with, Wahl are used by professionals and you can get replacement combs. I'm suggesting you learn to do it yourself so as you can do it every 3 or 4 weeks to keep it even and save you money. You may find you benefit from a conditioning treatment on your scalp every couple of weeks too as it may become dry and feel tight and uncomfortable, a teaspoon or so of olive oil massaged into the scalp and left for 30 mins before being shampooed off will work wonders, just remember to put neat shampoo on the oiled scalp and hair before getting it wet or it won't emulsify and will feel horrible and greasy. You may need to change your shampoo to one that suits your scalp, personally I'd recomend a solid shampoo bar from Lush and don't forget to use sunscreen in warmer weather, your scalp hasn't seen the sun since you were a baby and will be far more likely to burn than the rest of your face and head.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 4-Dec-2018 23:08 Message #4730194
I think 'hen, your thoughts are along the right lines. Together with MSE input and having paid some attention recently, to how some other fellers manage in a similar situation. The aim is something that might suit me and not be too much of a shock to others - however, it's almost a certainty that those who know me will have been aware of my newly-realised situation long before I twigged, so a conscious alteration of hairstyle will probably be met with sighs of relief - assuming they give a tuppenny damm either way.

To even have to think about 'hair style' at all is a new experience and planning to this level unheard of - by me. So, agreed - shorter than usual around the back and ear'oles, reduce the length of the bits left on top which always flopped any way they wanted, but now look like a 'comb-over' (not attractive, either to my way of thinking or in the view of anyone known to me) and ask my barber if he can somehow 'taper' the remaining thickish bunches towards the barren areas. The surviving isolated patches / tufts, I reckon, will have to be seriously reduced in length, but as you say, not shaven.
Farewell Mr Tousled.

The DIY option is one to hold in mind, but given that I'm no Leonardo da Vinci, mirror-guided manipulation seems unlikely to lead to acceptable results - so I'll not think it unreasonable to continue paying £5 (please don't grit your teeth madam, you'll do yourself a mischief) every three weeks to maintain a presentable appearance. No doubt a change of shampoo will happen when next due - you've mentioned 'Lush' products on other threads, but I freely confess that it's not a subject that holds a great deal of my attention.
However, the possibility of an overdose of sunshine is something of which I am habitually aware - but thanks for the reminder and for your other pointers.

As they say: 'Watch this space'.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 5-Dec-2018 07:51 Message #4730206
A decent hair cut on a man who has a thinning bonce always looks smarter, more attractive and sexier than trying to hang onto whatever thatch is left for dear life.
It shows that you have embraced who you are and are confident and comfortable with yourself, instead of wishing that you were 20 years younger.
Just look at the infamous Mr Trump. Now, he's a man who could do with giving some thought to what the word dignity means.

Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 5-Dec-2018 09:32 Message #4730209
Right on Minnie !
Reality bites, but we have a choice as to whether we let it scar us or not.

It does feel a little strange though - to suddenly be giving the outward signals of obsession about a feature that has previously been taken for granted.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Dec-2018 11:15 Message #4730212
If you're only paying a fiver then thats not much money, but people can pay what even to me as a former haridresser is an extorionate amount for a very average haircut. What you put on your head and not just your hair is important, don't fall for the baby shampoo being mild guff, its the same ph as the eyes which is why it dosent' sting, but its not the same ph as the skin and hair. I tend to recomend Lush products as apart from being extremely good quality, if a little expensive for some, the solid shampoo bars save waste and are very ecconomical.

Alopecia Areata otherwise known as small bald patches is more common in men than women, can happen at any age and can be related to stress, no one really knows why random patches of hair folicles decide to shut down or why they suddenly decide to grow again.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 6-Dec-2018 00:09 Message #4730285
'Should have remembered that it was you 'hen who had hairdressing experience - wonder what else is drifting away from my bonce ?

At times in the past, when shampoos have not been to hand, I have used various other soapy stuffs. For instance, while using a climbing hut, the nearest substitute available was washing-up liquid, so there would be no great surprise were you to tell me I've only myself to blame for the condition under discussion.

The stress connection with alopecia often crops up, but nowhere that I've come across does anyone tie in the time and duration of the stressful event or period to the onset of hair loss. Not that there is any particular therapeutic value in knowing, just for the sake of interest. Two episodes during the last two years where I've been unable to get people to do 'the right thing' do come to mind. As does a longer term situation going back further where I also felt powerless to do any good. So, yep, stress aspect would plausibly fit the situation.

Tomorrow, I meet my barber.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Dec-2018 10:49 Message #4730302
Unless you've put something on your head that has given you chemical burns, then the alopecia areata isn't from the occasional use of washing up liquid, that would just make your scalp itchy and flakey for a few days. As I said before no one really knows the cause, only that stress seems to play a role as it does in so many things, personally I think theres a lot more to it than stress. If you're worried there might be some underlying cause then you could see a trichologist, they are experts in conditions of the hair and scalp, but honestly unless theres a suspicion that it might be ring worm or something, which a pharmacist could tell you and give you treatment for, then I think you'd be wasting your money, but I could be wrong. Trichologists do have an institute so you could find their website which should give you a list of practitioners in your area. As you've identified stressors prior to outbreaks you might be better off doing something that will help you deal with stress better such as yoga, tai chi, pilates, or meditation, yoga or pilates where you spend some of the time exercising with your head lower than your heart could help as it will bring lots of rich oxygenated blood to the scalp which could trigger the resting hair folicles to wake up.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 6-Dec-2018 22:47 Message #4730361
Well, the deed is done. Really can't say that I'm impressed - to me, it looks like a 'work in progress'.
Can't even see a great need to present a new profile photo, cos caught from the same angles the new wouldn't look so different from those presently displayed. I'm inclined to hang on to see if anyone newly met complains that the photos are too old - but what are the chances of such a meet anyway. Heigh ho ! It is what is.

Your continued input 'hen is very much appreciated and it is likely that I'll follow your concluding advice regarding a trichology consultation and as for exercise with head below heart .. now how did Lewis Carroll's parody go - something about Father William incessantly standing on his head ? Nonsense of course, but that's what came to my mind.

For the advice from all who threw in their thoughts, please accept my warm thanks.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »