Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

They say it's Nation's Best Kept Secret...

Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 30-Nov-2018 11:41 Message #4729795
Just wondering, without googling it how many people are aware of Continuing Healthcare?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 30-Nov-2018 12:13 Message #4729796
yes, it was mentioned on a program a while ago.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 30-Nov-2018 12:15 Message #4729797
Do you think there are concerns that it will become the latest bandwagon for dishonest claimants to jump on?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 30-Nov-2018 13:20 Message #4729812
Thats very interesting - I just go-ogled it... food for tought isnt it.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 30-Nov-2018 14:23 Message #4729819
I'd like to know how many people are unlawfully charged for care by Local Authorities. The problem is that the headlines sensationalise at the expense of many who are really struggling through the hell of being a health carer with little or no help because they are not aware of what they really should be entitled to. Instead we as a nation are suffering from bed blocking syndrome which is costing far money (£3000 per day) than the cost of CHC care. It is designed specifically to keep people out of hospital settings due to health care not social care. Many of the sensationalised articles are based on Social care which comes out of Local Authority funds not the NHS and is a totally different ballgame.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 30-Nov-2018 18:47 Message #4729827
I think its lack of funding to councils, so they try and sneak extra money where they can, loss of funding for law centres, CAB etc, unwillingness by the elderly themselves to be seen as in need of "charity" even though they've paid for already via taxation. Theres also a problem of lack of carers, if theres no one to provide the care then the hospital can't discharge someone to go home, then theres things like getting a hospital bed and other equipment delivered, the place the person might be going back to could be totally unsuitable for their needs.

I think the question needs to asked, if social care as they like to call it shouldn't be under the NHS rather than local councils? In to many areas the services arn't integrated and it causes huge delays, areas where services are integrated seem to work better and do more with the same money.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 1-Dec-2018 02:45 Message #4729867
I've had to really fight for it because of LO's Alzheimer's and horrific complex needs. Because it's so difficult to get CHC funding, bed blocking becomes a real issue especially considering it is costing £3000 a day. It's been like going 7 rounds against Mike Tyson so don't kid yourself that people can get it dishonestly. Many, many of us 24/7 carers just end up giving up because the stress is just too much. If it wasn't for the support of others in a similar situation I'm sure I'd have crashed and burned a long time ago. It is a case where the facebook groups have been a godsend and lifeline. It's absolutely exhausting. I'd hate to try and estimate how many carers end up with mental health problems themselves due to lack of support. Even the carer who comes around is concerned with my welfare. The thing is I'm not on my own there must be countless others at breaking point and it's scary.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Dec-2018 07:25 Message #4729872
One of my sons has bowel problems but he can handle very well has to take medicine to help him.
He was looking forward to having an operation to end all the stress but then they wrote to him and said it was too expensive and was not doing the operation now. He was devastated.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »