Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Grapefruit juice

Is it dangerous?

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 30-Nov-2018 10:25 Message #4729783
I have just changed some of my pills, from Ramipril to Losartan. Neiither the cardiologist who did the change or the Heart Nurse mentioned to avoid grapefruit Juice, but looking online it seems to say to avoid it.

I like Grapefruit Juice, especially in the mornings. I don't have it every morning, only every now and again, but now I am thinking i shouldn't be having it at all. I next have a heart nurse appointment on December 11th, so I will mention it to her.

But since they haven't mentioned it to me, is it really an issue? I know it is my responsibility to check what I can and can't have with all the pills I am on, but you can go crazy googling things. If they haven't told me, should it be ok to just carry on as normal?
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 30-Nov-2018 10:36 Message #4729784
If the pill manufacturer thought there would be a problem taking there product and drinking Grapefruit Juice,

surely it would be mentioned in the leaflet in he box!

I seem to remember reading it on a leaflet some time ago, but can't remember what pills they were.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 30-Nov-2018 10:45 Message #4729785
I stopped taking the array of pills I am supposed to be on about four months ago, and I am still not dead yet,...even feel slightly better for it actually.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 30-Nov-2018 10:49 Message #4729786
Just read the notes with the pills I take (Atenolol) and that says to avoid Apple and Orange Juice!

I do sometimes take it with Orange Squash!
But I don't suppose that's the same.
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex 30-Nov-2018 10:54 Message #4729787
Both my brothers are on heart medication and they avoid grapefruit completely. However the older brother didn’t know about this advice until the younger one visited from New Zealand and told him. Apparently it interferes with the function of some medications.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 30-Nov-2018 11:00 Message #4729788
Thanks vanners. The leaflet in the box, when unfolded, is bigger than a sheet on A4, and full up on both sides with very small font writing ( good job I've got my reading glasses ) I don't see it mentioned, but I'm not even half way through yet.

You could be right zodiac. A couple of years ago, a few months after starting on all the pills, I made my first trip 'up north' since the heart failure, to visit family, and I was putting aside a pack of pills to take with me for the weekend, and then I forgot them, and didn't find out till I got there. I then panicked ( Don't panic Mr Mainwaring ) and frantically contacted the nurse, in case I died or something, and she said that a couple of days should be ok, and to take them when I got back home, but only the normal dose, not all the missed doses.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 30-Nov-2018 11:10 Message #4729791
" I know it is my responsibility to check what I can and can't have with all the pills I am on"

its good you feel that way tw but the medical profession is there to care for use, and they should really cover any issues to do with our health, i know mine do.

leaving it to the individual could be detrimental to them,requiring further hospitalisation or worse !

i have known some patients who couldnt or wouldnt take ownership of their care.

if you have any doubts about g/f juice then dont wait until the 11th, contact whoever looks after you asap, or dont have the juice until you have been to clinic.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 30-Nov-2018 12:15 Message #4729798
use - us !
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 30-Nov-2018 12:56 Message #4729806
Yes, it can be dangerous. Various medications have a reaction which increases their strength of their drug, when grapefuit is eaten/drank & although each person can have a slightly different reaction some can get it more than others. Def avoid it Tumbles. Your pharmacist should tell you this also.
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 30-Nov-2018 13:03 Message #4729811
I was told to avoid grapefruit juice, if you are in any doubt phone your Pharmacist.
Mine is very good and does not mind me asking their advice.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 30-Nov-2018 13:44 Message #4729814
Check the in-pack leaflet. That will tell you if you can have it or not.

And yes, it can be dangerous is you are on certain medications.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 30-Nov-2018 13:50 Message #4729815
I just looked at the SPC online, and it is not there, so I doubt that it is in the leaflet.

But I found this:

Drugs that can interact with grapefruit
Examples of some of the most common grapefruit or grapefruit juice drug interactions include:
alprazolam
amiodarone
atorvastatin
carbamazepine
cilostazol
clarithromycin
colchicine
dronedarone
erythromycin
felodipine
fentanyl
fentanyl transdermal system
fexofenadine
indinavir
loratadine
losartan
lovastatin
nilotinib
pazopanib
pimozide
ranolazine
saquinavir
sildenafil
simvastatin
tadalafil
vardenafil
verapamil
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 30-Nov-2018 19:54 Message #4729839
A friend on heart meds was told to definitely avoid grapefruit because it reacts with the statins to make it as though you've taken a much much higher dose. AVOID!
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 30-Nov-2018 22:24 Message #4729850
Thank you for all your posts. It does seem that grapefruit affects various things.

I was at the chemist earlier, and asked them about it. They said that it is not on their list of things to avoid with losartan. So now it is a bit confusing. I will try not to have any anyway, and ask the nurse on the 11th.

I do like my grapefruit juice though. It always reminds me of staying in hotels on holiday.

Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 1-Dec-2018 08:14 Message #4729876
I thought grapefruit juice helps to reduce cholesterol?
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 1-Dec-2018 09:13 Message #4729878
When i was given certain tablets to take for my diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure about 20 years ago i was never told about the dangers of having grapefruit or grapefruit juice with them until my consultant at the weight management clinic noticed on my diet sheet that i was having grapefruit & juice, he didn’t explain everything and i still don’t know to this day exactly what the pitfalls are but i haven’t had it since and i used to really enjoy it.

Tumbleweed, it might just be a good idea not to have the grapefruit or juice at least until you have spoken to your Dr or Consultant.

Andy Mac
Male
Goodgeezer  Male  West Yorkshire 1-Dec-2018 17:36 Message #4729929
I was reluctant to ditch my grapefruit juice so I spoke to the pharmacist. She found me a statin that is not affected by this nectar! Before anyone asks, Rosuvastatin! Seems to be working fine.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »