Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Vitamin D

Thinking of the advice

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 29-Nov-2018 22:22 Message #4729763
to get out in the sunshine for 15 minutes a day to keep vitamin D levels up - I don't think we have seen the sun for more than 15 seconds in the past 3 days.

Plenty of rain though. And wind, today especially, particularly this morning.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 29-Nov-2018 22:56 Message #4729771
Keep trying Aely. Make up for missed 15-minute doses on later (or even store some up from earlier days).
Looking a lot less cloudy tomorrow for the southern part of England, so you could well be in with more than half a chance.
Probably not bikini weather though.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 30-Nov-2018 08:32 Message #4729777
I see the sun!
Get out there, Aely, before it goes again.

I take a Vit D supplement with calcium (Adcal) on prescription since my surgery, but I think getting out and about has a lot more benefits than the absorption of Vit D
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 30-Nov-2018 09:36 Message #4729779
I was tested by my GP for vitamin D level, not sure why he tested me as I wasn't aware he was testing for that.
He got back very quickly and told me I had to take a high dose.
I do take it, but I would rather have a nice walk in the park if the sun is out.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 30-Nov-2018 09:48 Message #4729780
Someone else taking vit d on advice from the doctor. The days are too short and dark up north to get enough sunlight throughout most of winter.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 30-Nov-2018 11:11 Message #4729792
You know Nellie I think thats a load of old wallop, surely it depends on the quality of the daylight as much as anything else? If you have 6 hours of good sunshine then thats got to be enough for us pale skinned northern europeans, I can understand that darker skinned people might have more problems, but I guess that most people just don't spend enough time outside. There is a part of me that wonders if this is a put up job by the pharmacuetical industry.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 30-Nov-2018 13:00 Message #4729810
My doc told me to take Vit d esp in the winter time - I seem to suffer with SAD in the early winter.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 30-Nov-2018 13:53 Message #4729816
Vitamin D is the one vitamin that we should all consider taking in the winter.
Female
BlinkinLights  Female  South Yorkshire 30-Nov-2018 23:28 Message #4729862
Yes, codswallop !
Why do we need ANY extra vitamins?? If you have a varied diet you will absord all the different vitamins you ever need. Abd then you only need more or less a trace of them all.
the only exception to this statement, I think, is when a woman is pregnant and needs to take iron tablets, as the baby drains your blood.
well those is my thoughts anyway.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 1-Dec-2018 10:38 Message #4729894
Sorry folks, I've a need to amend my earlier contribution regarding catching up sunlight benefits on later sunny days because it seems that UK latitudes do not get enough UVB for Vitamin D production between October and March. According to NHS advice, we can build up sufficient stores to last through the winter by May - September exposure of 9 minutes per day around lunchtime with face, arms and legs bared to the rays - usual precautions about sunburn apply.

That briefly covers our natural Vitamin D manufacture, but intake from our diet will also be a factor affecting our stores. Oily fish seems to top the recommendations (the info is all out there). Supplements - all round consensus seems to be 'bear them in mind'.

'Haven't found any source disagreeing with others on this thread, that even with overcast skies, getting out and about for the exercise, the chance of meeting other people and seeing something other than your own, familiar 'four walls' can do you much good.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Dec-2018 11:16 Message #4729895
Minnie, Even those of us who are outside for a part of everyday? I trust you to know what you're talking about and if you say we all need to take it then I will, do I need to take it every day, what other foods that oily fish are good sources of it and does a SAD lamp help?
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 1-Dec-2018 15:08 Message #4729908
Well, hopefully I got well stocked up during the May to September period. I certainly did a lot of gardening.
Female
Santalina  Female  Hampshire 1-Dec-2018 16:26 Message #4729915
Actually getting enough Vitamin D is really important to health. A lot of research has been done on it and possible links to disease in some people. I get it on prescription now and 6 monthly blood tests.
Female
BlinkinLights  Female  South Yorkshire 1-Dec-2018 17:19 Message #4729927
Things that contain Vit D:
Fish, herring, salmon etc
cod liver oil
eggs and yolks
milk
cheese
orange juice
cereals
satdines

Who does NOT eat at least two of the above ?
and even on a cloudy day you get uv

Female
BlinkinLights  Female  South Yorkshire 1-Dec-2018 17:21 Message #4729928
Should be 'sardines'
And I missed
Red Meat

I have at least five of the above quite regularly - not every day but more or less twice a week
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Dec-2018 18:04 Message #4729930
I regularly eat cereals and orange juice but not so much or none of the others.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Dec-2018 10:42 Message #4729971
wh, NICE advice is that we all need Vit D supplementation. It is D3 thatwe need.

To prevent vitamin D deficiency:
Advise that all adults living in the UK, including people at increased risk of vitamin D deficiency, should take a daily supplement containing 400 international units (IU [10 micrograms]) of vitamin D throughout the year, including in the winter months.

The full treatment guidelines can be found here:
https://cks.nice.org.uk/vitamin-d-deficiency-in-adults-treatment-and-prevention#!scenario:1

NHS advice to patients is that we do not get sufficient vitamin D from sunlight in winter (Sep to Mar) and that it is difficult to obtain sufficient Vitamin D from the diet.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

Vitamin D deficiency is quite widespread amongst individuals with a darker complexion in this country and the above advice is part led by the alarming increase in Asian children presenting with rickets.

Low Vit D levels are associated with joint and bone pain, the tiredness and lethargy that a lot of people suffer in the winter, low mood and depression, poor sleep, weight gain, increased susceptibility to colds and infections, digestive problems.

But the biggie for me, is that if you do not get sufficient vitamin D, you also have a much higher risk of death from cardiovascular disease.

I'm convinced.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Dec-2018 10:46 Message #4729972
oh, and one more thing, I believe that pale skinned people in northern climates are an evolutionary adaptation to lower light levels. The default human being has a dark skin to protect them from UV, but that is no longer needed when you live at high latitudes where levels of sunlight are low and good health can suffer as a result.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Dec-2018 10:57 Message #4729975
Supplementation of the diet will always be controversial. I think a lot of people feel that they are being conned to buying something that they don't really need, but there is plenty of evidence that many population groups do not supplementation.

Evidence indicates that all people living this far north need Vitamin D supplementation in the winter.

All women of child bearing age, who are sexually active, should be taking folic acid to reduce the risk of neural tube defects in babies.

Menstruating women may need iron supplementation if their iron levels are low. If that is the case, they may also need vitamin C, B6 and folate to help with absorption and the pathways that turn it into red blood cells.

Most of the other vitamins and minerals you will probably get sufficient from a well balanced diet, but there are many aspects of modern day life that suggests that dietary intake is not sufficient.

For example, women taking oral contraceptives can be low in folate.

There are signs that a large proportion of the population who are obese are actually malnourished, due to eating the wrong things and don;t have a high value diet.

Athletes and sportsman have a much higher demand on nutrients and usually supplement, especially those taking part in endurance sports like long distance cycling.

Anyway, the evidence is all out there. All you have to do is google.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Dec-2018 10:57 Message #4729976
*should be "do need supplementation"
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Dec-2018 11:14 Message #4729979
Thank you Minnie, I will start on vit D, probably like many others I get fed up with so much contradictory advice and don't know who or what to believe.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Dec-2018 12:03 Message #4729987
I think that the problem with the internet is that you have to be careful where you get information from, hence the contradictions. I think it is always important to be sure of the provenance of the pages that you are reading.

Specifically in terms of medical/health issues, government, disease support organisations or scientific sources are usually fairly reliable as any statements are usually backed up by the evidence that they based their opinion on, so you can read the source documents and make up your own mind.

I am wary of journalism. Journalists write on all kinds of subjects and aren't usually an expert in any field, so they often put an incorrect interpretation on the subject matter. Plus, they want to make a good story, so what they write may be misleading and sensationalist. I am also generally wary of pages from political lobbying groups, unless it is something like the RSPB, which is backed up by science.

And of course, some subjects are genuinely controversial because there is conflicting data available. That often happens before the bigger picture emerges when more work has been done.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 2-Dec-2018 14:02 Message #4730001
Hear hear Minnie.
All my findings confirm your expanded details.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 2-Dec-2018 17:41 Message #4730015
hey if you go to work in the dark morning and come home in the dark evening when do you get to see sunshine?...lol vit d tablets come in handy
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Dec-2018 18:00 Message #4730023
I started having some of those dissolvable multivitamins that turn your wee yellow. I think they contain some 'd',
amongst all the other stuff, but if it is all going right through you, then perhaps they are useless. I have started breaking them up into pieces and having some throughout the day, rather than all at once.

I think all the stuff in them has a 'half life' or whatever, so it should be better doing it like that.

Talking of going to work in the dark, and getting home in the dark, I am glad I am not doing that anymore, although the circumstances of me not doing it could be better.

When I was doing it though, for many years our department had to work in a secure area, with no windows, hidden away inside the building. So going to work in the dark, then 12 hour shifts hidden away from life, then going home in the dark. And I wonder why I am weird.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »