Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I dont mean fashion as such but ...

Do particular clothes define you?

Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 24-Nov-2018 22:11 Message #4729316
From my teenage years, (Skinhead/Suedehead background), I’ve maintained a classic look … from Crombie coat, Harrington jacket, Doc Martin shoes/boots, Ben Sherman shirt, etc.

And even in my 50s and early 60s, such apparel still rates contemporary on a ‘fashion’ scale.

Personally, I gain satisfaction in knowing that my dress sense has never really gone out of fashion and I joke with biker friends that their style has not fared quite as well over the decades!

Oh. And I’d add that, aside from my skinhead beginnings, my sharp black NEXT business suits have lasted, (and possibly felt just as comfy) as any woman’s LBD. (Little black dress).

It isn't an actual big deal but ... I like to feel "me" when I go out so I do generally wear clothing as described above ... or else I feel not quite myself and not quite as assured.

So tell me …

Do you have particular ‘armour’ that still makes you feel invincible or, at least, confident, simply by the act of wearing it?

Or are you really not that fussed?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 24-Nov-2018 22:18 Message #4729317
i shall dress accordingly when i go and see Madness in december !
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 24-Nov-2018 22:33 Message #4729319
In my teens, Wrangler jeans were the thing for me. I had only ever had cheap jeans before, but when I was able to buy my first pair of wranglers, I felt like the bees knees, or the dogs bollocks or something.

Then there was my all leather platform shoes, they cost over 30 quid in the 70's, and I don't think I have ever paid that much since, even in todays money. The shoes were the cats whiskers, as bees knees and dogs whatsits had already been taken. Sadly the shoes had rather an unhappy end, involving a girl dumping me on a night of floods in Blackpool and me ruining the shoes by wading through the floods, but that is a story for another day.

Nowadays, anything goes. Of all the 'dressing up' I have ever done over the years, Uniform etc in the Merchant Navy, then shirts , ties and trousers for dayshift work since then ( nightshifts were casual wear ), I have never worn a proper suit in my life. Never owned one and never hired one. I Just wear a greyish jacket with various trousers and shirt/tie for weddings funerals etc.
Female
Lulu70  Female  South East London 24-Nov-2018 22:34 Message #4729320
I am one of those strange women who actually hate shopping... so I live in jeans and walking boots.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 24-Nov-2018 22:38 Message #4729321
Skinhead, Crombie, CLASSIC excuse me?? Am I missing something?
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 24-Nov-2018 23:02 Message #4729324
I love my Levi's .. And me suede boots & me white t shirt .. Lol ... I have twelve pairs of Levi's but I love my tatty ones the best ...
Male
SandyBeach  Male  Lincolnshire 24-Nov-2018 23:12 Message #4729325
Never been one for 'fashion'. I wear what I feel comfortable in. Usually jeans and tee shirt, jumper if cold, two if very cold.
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 25-Nov-2018 02:54 Message #4729329
Thanks for the comments so far but ... OMG, Bella, what planet are you on ... to have missed the skinhead, classic Crombie thing!!??
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 25-Nov-2018 03:04 Message #4729332
Crombies are so, so cool.

Heck. Ever seen a U.S President NOT wearing a Crombie?
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 25-Nov-2018 03:55 Message #4729336
In the sixties i wore mini skirts and heels. I am very much into fashion and i to look attractive in whatever i wear. I am not into wearing jeans that much. When i go out i always wear skirts or dresses.

Crombie coats are cool.
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 25-Nov-2018 05:19 Message #4729349
Thank you, Bunny :-)

Yes. Crombies are cool! :-)))
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 25-Nov-2018 07:08 Message #4729353
I was a hi ppy in the late 60's / 70's , all long floaty dresses and Afghan coats. So no ,I no longer would ever read I n that style. Although I did love Biba clothes from 15th that era and wish I had hung on to some for posterity.
But now I wear jeans and boots probably far too often because I feel comfy in them.

Miss were very stylish in their day , far superior to the unwashed Rocker / Biker look.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 25-Nov-2018 07:26 Message #4729357
I meant Mods !!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Nov-2018 12:06 Message #4729411
I was a hippy in my teenage years and I suppose its not really changed I just wear more age appropriate hippyish clothes now, much more lagan look, drapey stuff. I do have to have my punked up spikey hair to feel truely invincible, if I was going into full Boudicca mode I'd probably dye it lilac.

Male
TheHermit  Male  Oxfordshire 25-Nov-2018 12:38 Message #4729422
I,ve spent a grand on clobber over the last 11 months. I go for practical and technical outdoor gear which means that although my sartorial elegance is not what it was, I'm far more warm , dry, comfy and light.

The gear I go for isn't cheap. I look for Downs with pertex and hydrophobic down, shells with goretex, trousers that dry in the wind in five minutes after a down pour, bridgedale socks, leather boots with vibram soles, base layers with anti bacterial properties. Infact I have put a new base layer through a rigorous test by wearing it for eight days without taking a bath. It doesn't even stink.

Most of what I wear has to fold down small to fit into my rucksack without taking up too much space which I need for beer if I intend to stop at the shop after one of my hikes.

Of course I realise that my raiment isn't something I can turn up to a date in, unless I arrange a date to trek across Kinder Scout to Bleaklow or something.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 25-Nov-2018 15:46 Message #4729439
I would not mind dying my hair pink as i had the front pink when i was 60 lol Everyone liked it.
if i did have it pink i would put a rinse on it so it can wash out gradually as they take about 24 washes.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 27-Nov-2018 19:49 Message #4729618
I was an oddball and happy in my skin.

Seriously, I used to dream of owning a motorcycle, not because it was a motorcycle, but earlier independence. I wore min skirts, so a scooter retained a little dignity to oncoming traffic, except my LI150 Lambretta only cost £40 so it was optimistic it going in a straight line. I did end up in a hedge in Macclesfield, Cheshire :-)

I aspired to have something faster and more controllable so when I traded up to a Honda 250cc, wearing a mini skirt was not so practical, especially giving hand signals and the wind coming head on. It was quite a challenge to wear my hair in a bun, so I had two chestnut plaits either side of my helmet. Being quite tall, it was quite good fun at traffic lights when men saw Pippy Longstocking looking back at them.

When the Kawasaki 900 arrived (My ex and I had one each), I managed to attend the Royal Abert Hall wearing a long maxi skirt, homemade, white, with dolphins all over it.

These days, I share clothes with my 33 year old daughter. I am taller than her but we are both like similar clothes except she likes some, what I would call, old-fashioned styles, but mostly we crossover. I tend to wear Jeggings, a cross between jeans and leggings, but these days I have a "compact estate" and look after my daughter's two border collies.

I never felt I had to conform to any fashion, just wear what is comfortable and don't want tattoos or hippy hair and avoid certain materials and styles like polyester, nylon, frills under the neck...yuk.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 28-Nov-2018 10:22 Message #4729646
My ankle boots are what I feel comfortable in, fitted shirts and skinny trousers/jeans. I resent summer because I can't wear my ankle boots!
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 28-Nov-2018 13:52 Message #4729653
I hope that no-one will ever try to define me by the clothes that I wear.

I tend to wear whatever is appropriate for the situation. When I was working, I generally wore suits or a jacket with skirt or trousers. That defined my role rather than who I was. (The killer heels helped if I was attending a particular difficult meeting!)

Now I mainly wear casual clothes as befits my status as a retired person but I do dress accordingly when going out/to meetings etc

As far as fashion is concerned, I tend to adopt a current look only if I think it suits me and is comfortable to wear.

I think feeling invincible is about being comfortable in yourself whatever you are wearing.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 28-Nov-2018 17:23 Message #4729665
I'm the opposite Jennifer; I can't wait to get back into my sandals again in the spring.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 28-Nov-2018 17:25 Message #4729666
In answer to the OP, my dressed up look loosely falls into so-called boho chic. My work wardrobe is a smart pair of trousers and a blouse. The rest of the time it is comfortable sporty/outdoor wear.
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 6-Dec-2018 18:10 Message #4730326
Fosy, Hermit, Judance and others make the important point about … dressing accordingly … and, sure, there is great satisfaction in choosing the right apparel for the job, situation or circumstances.

Ha ha. Tumbleweed. Your platform shoes reference reminds me of my wayward friend, Tony H, who broke into a shoe shop in the early 70s and stole 2 pairs of Gary Glitter style platform boots … and perched the shoes, (still in their boxes) on the OUTSIDE of his bedroom window ledge to hide them from his mother, fearful that she would learn that he had not given up on his light fingered, thieving, ways!

I’m not sure about the full circumstances but … by 10am the next morning, the police were knocking on Tony’s door and by mid day, he’d been charged with breaking and entering!!!

Oh. While I’m still in the same decade (and story), I had another skinhead friend, Dale, who turned up at “The Shops” where we used to all hang out ... limping.

What’s the problem, Dale?” I enquired? “Have you hurt your foot?”

“Nah. It’s these shoes”, he pointed out, “I think they are way too small for me.”

And in a unified chorus, several of us enquired …

“So why are you wearing them?”

Straight faced, Dale replied ...

“Because they were a bargain, reduced … on offer!”

The shoes didn’t fit Dale … but he couldn’t resist buying them anyway. :-)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »