Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Fitness Trackers

Who uses one?

Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 24-Nov-2018 19:52 Message #4729302
Hi

I'm a big FitBit fan and have just ordered an upgrade from my Charge 2 which sadly got cracked when I fell off a wall onto it on holiday - and no - I wasn't drunk lol

Any other FitBitters out there? Or do you use a different brand? Any recommendations? What made you buy one? And does it inspire you to do more?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 24-Nov-2018 20:02 Message #4729303
I fancy a new fitbit. The old one has put a bit of weight on just lately and she is not getting any younger.
Female
Lady  Female  North Yorkshire 24-Nov-2018 20:25 Message #4729307
When you say you've ordered an upgrade from Charge 2, do you mean you've ordered a Charge 3?
If so, I'd be interested to know what you think of it when you get it.

I had a Charge 2, which I treated myself to late last year and I loved it.
It took a couple of months for it to really prick my conscience and make a serious start on setting excercise and weight loss goals but, once I started to gradually increase my targets, it motivated me to think more about my fitness and exercise regime, so I joined a gym, increased my walking, tracked my calories, recorded my weight loss - it even helped me to improve my sleeping patterns. It's one of the best tools I've had to improve fitness and weight loss - and helped me to lose the 3 stones I needed to get rid of this year.

Sadly, I mislaid it about a month ago - I think I took it off in a shower room in Rhodes and accidentally left it there but didn't realise until it was too late to go back for it.
Now I've got myself into a sustainable, healthy exercise and eating plan, I probably don't need a FitBit so much - but I do miss it! I keep looking at my wrist to check the time, see what my heart rate is, how many steps I've done today etc!

I'm thinking of buying a replacement and was considering a Charge 3 but I need to do a bit more research about them - I think they are a lot more expensive but are water resistant, so I won't risk losing it in a shower room again!

If anyone else uses other similar devices, I'll be interested to read their reviews of them.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 24-Nov-2018 21:17 Message #4729312
I have used apps on my phone like My Fitness Pal and now Lose It.

I'm happy with the free versions, though not as accurate as a Fitbit as I don't wear my phone all the time.

I like using an app called Map my Walk which also works mapping routes I cycle, the miles, calories, etc.

Mostly, I log my food to keep calories under 1300 a day and doing this does keep my eyes open to resist nibbles I'd previously "forget".
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 25-Nov-2018 11:50 Message #4729401
I was considering the Charge 3 but the Versa was only £10 more in the Black Friday sale on Amazon and that was the one I really wanted, so I've gone for it as it's normally a lot more expensive. I know 3 people who have a Versa and they're all happy with it so it seemed the right way to go but without the sale I'd have bought the Charge 3. I do 3 or 4 Aqua Aerobics classes a week so it's going to be great to track heart rate for that class too as although it won't have a proper step count I'm sure I burn more than the 371 calories a class I get manually logging it into MyFitnessPal.

I dabbled with Garmin once but came back to FitBit because I have an established challenge group. Happy to add you Lady if you want to join challenges?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Nov-2018 11:51 Message #4729403
Do you not find yourself getting paranoid about what you're eating and how much you're exercising or whatever it monitors? I don't even weigh myself and if I have to be weighed at the doctors or something I tell them not to tell me how much I weigh, I was borderline anorexic at one point and if I didn't like what they scales told me I would just stop eating. Now I eat healtily and exercise pretty much everyday, a good walk with Monty and the only measure of weight is how my clothes fit.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 25-Nov-2018 12:06 Message #4729409
I think that's the healthiest way for you Hen if you've had issues with anorexia. I still have a fair bit of weight to lose (currently 97lbs down) but the tracker syncs with MyFitnessPal and corrects my daily calorie goal there either up or down so I'm losing at a healthy rate. I'd say it helps keep me focused rather than obsessing me though. I'll still stray from the path from time to time though!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »