Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

No more sun until next year!

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 22-Nov-2018 08:18 Message #4729035
I was reading about a town in Alaska which will see no sun from 18th November until 23rd January 2019. Can you imagine that?

A lot of interesting programmes on tv about that part of the world. Living there and trucking there.

Do you like the winter?
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Nov-2018 08:42 Message #4729037
I don't mind the cold in the winter. It is the wind i hate and the blizzards. Don't think i would like hot weather all year round anyway.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 22-Nov-2018 10:51 Message #4729049
I wouldn't want hot weather all year round but I could live without the freezing cold weather. I can't imagine living where I didnt see the sun for weeks but I think it would be depressing.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Nov-2018 10:59 Message #4729051
I don't think I would like no daylight for weeks, but I do quite like winter, its a beautiful cold sunny day outside today, the thick frost is only just melting. We're just far enough north here for there to be a totally different quality to winter light, for me its not just the length of day light but the quality of the light, one thing I love about living in the counrtryside is not having grey sky reflecting grey concrete buildings and roads we get lots of different colours throughout the year.

Yesterday I was outside gardening, weeding the rose bed and planting bulbs ready for spring, it felt really good and it looks good to, I can't wait to get out and do the other beds. I suspect the robin and the blackbird will be happy to see me out digging the soil over too.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 22-Nov-2018 11:57 Message #4729057
Quite bright today compared to the damp chill of yesterday wherein I was daft enough to delay getting some thicker socks on - took half the evening to restore my feet to a comfortable warmth.
Taking a break now from the great outdoors and setting the scene for the coming year - I'll go with 'Hen - make best use of what daylight is available and, By 'Eck, it can have a gorgeous quality about it.
Prolonged spells of any extreme: heat, cold or day-length, I do find a little wearing, but by now am accustomed to adapting to whatever arises and the avoidance of suffering and moaning about it.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 22-Nov-2018 12:25 Message #4729062
not long now until our shortest day [light] !
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 22-Nov-2018 13:18 Message #4729065
I like all of the seasons and that's why I love our climate - wait 3 months and you will get something different.
I know the seasons aren't like they used to be in the good old days, but still prefer it to same old, same old every day...
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 22-Nov-2018 14:07 Message #4729066
*I was reading about a town in Alaska which will see no sun from 18th November until 23rd January 2019. Can you imagine that?

A lot of interesting programmes on tv about that part of the world. Living there and trucking there.

Do you like the winter? *
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Nov-2018 16:29 Message #4729071
That's amazing CHIOG I didnt know that. Alaska has some interesting natural phenomena with all that darkness and the northern lights.

I'm not keen on the winter. fewer places to go and higher heating bills.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 22-Nov-2018 17:00 Message #4729074
There are plenty of places one can go if it is sun you are after, Egypt springs to mind as i was there last Christmas 25 to 30 degrees everyday :D

Andy Mac
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Nov-2018 18:41 Message #4729080
But theres lots of walks and outdoor stuff you can do in winter, you can take a flask of homemade soup with you to keep you warm from the inside out and you feel really good coming in from a bracing walk in the cold. At least in winter you can turn the heating up and wear more clothes, unlikea hot summer when the heating's off and there are no more clothes to take off and you're still to hot!
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 22-Nov-2018 18:52 Message #4729082
hate it,,,go to work in the dark, come home in the dark, I love sunshine and daylight, maybe that's why I love snow it lightens everything up...including me...lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 23-Nov-2018 11:00 Message #4729120
OOooohhh snow I love snow, except when it melts and goes slushy, I hope we get some this year, I want to see how Bertiekitten reacts to it, cats are so funny with snow.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 23-Nov-2018 11:05 Message #4729122
a lot of the alaska programmes are set up for the cameras, its a beautiful place but not for me as i dont like the cold,

Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 24-Nov-2018 07:30 Message #4729240
The winter is refreshing and envitalising and snow is the most beautiful of natural weather phenomena.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 1-Dec-2018 10:16 Message #4729893
Even more gloom as earthquakes strike!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »