Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Protest

Today I will mostly be protesting.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 21-Nov-2018 11:37 Message #4728981
So today their are hundreds of protesters blocking roads in London protesting against poor air quality.
This has resulted in people being late for work and kids late for school etc.
Its midweek, have these people not got job to go to ?.
The poor sods who are late for work are probably the same people paying taxes for the protesters benefits.
By causing huge traffic jams it means more pollution.
Do these professional protesters have a shed full of different placards to choose from every day.
Its getting beyond a joke.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 21-Nov-2018 18:02 Message #4728996
too right Barney, too right
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 21-Nov-2018 18:16 Message #4729002
And I bet all the placards are made of wood and cardboard which come from the trees that we need to improve air quality !

Chris.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 21-Nov-2018 19:26 Message #4729012
Interesting one ... surely by increasing congestion they are causing an increase in air pollution? Touch of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face perhaps?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 21-Nov-2018 20:10 Message #4729017
One poor bloke caught up in one of their traffic jams missed his chemotherapy appointment at the Marsden hospital.

So much for these Guardians of the Galaxy.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 22-Nov-2018 09:44 Message #4729043
I thought it was hilarious these "rebels" who shun the nasty capitalist society and all of it's rules, were wearing hi-viz vests.
I wonder if they had to complete a risk assessment before commencing their protest - It's health and safety gone mad... lol
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 22-Nov-2018 10:53 Message #4729050
It seems technology is at a stage where all the measures we take to improve things do quite the opposite.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 22-Nov-2018 11:14 Message #4729054
It was supposed to be a one day protest but now the protesters have stated its going to carry on indefinitely so they are out again today.
A commuter caught up in it stated that at first he supported them but now he is really angry and is against them.
They argue that people have the right to protest but what about the rights of the people trying to get to work etc.
Why is it the majority always come last now.
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 24-Nov-2018 03:43 Message #4729224
If these people have their own money, then let them spend it protesting.

Any that are on benefits should have then suspended.

Reasons for this, they are not available for work, they are not looking for work, they are fit enough for work.

I don't care if they have babies or children, they lose their benefits as they are being paid way too much.

Harsh you may think, most people on benefits are better off than those honest working people.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 24-Nov-2018 07:24 Message #4729237
I don’t have much time for protesters. Most appear to jump on any bandwagon and when they are not protesting are sitting around doing nothing.
A lot of protests are groups of bullies encouraging the easily led into helping them gang up to force others to think as they do, because protesters always know they are right - always!
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 24-Nov-2018 10:37 Message #4729247
The Met Police issued guidelines saying keep travel to a minimum. only use your cars if you have to.
How about doing your job and clearing the roads.

The protesters have a righto protest as do any one else.

What about the rights of people to get to work and take their kids to school etc.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 24-Nov-2018 15:55 Message #4729280
In Paris today tear gas was fired at Yellow Vest protestors.
In Paris they are protesting against rises in fuel tax.

Seems to be the opposite protest to the one in London.
Also if the police did decide to take similar action in London, it would make the Mayor look rather silly.
He recently sold the cities water canons, for scrap value.
Celebrating the sale, he is glad they are gone.
Water canon were also used in Paris today.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 24-Nov-2018 16:12 Message #4729281
The water cannons cost £300,000. Sold for £11,000. Its a disgrace.

When there is a riot and places are set on fire the water cannons could be used for that.

The Mayor celebrating says it all really, no wonder London is in the state it is in.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 24-Nov-2018 17:05 Message #4729288
good for the protesters, at least they are trying to do something about bad air quality

Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 25-Nov-2018 22:29 Message #4729486
Not much use if their protests are causing more air pollution by holding up traffic.
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 26-Nov-2018 01:07 Message #4729493
What the protesters should do is far better.

Come up with cost effective solutions, be less negative and more positive.

Most of the technology we need is available, the problem is powering it.

Just think of electric cars, good for 80-90 miles then they need recharging.

How much more popular would they be if they did 500-900 miles on a charge, just like a car that runs diesel or petrol.

OR

Could be made so frugal that even in this country you could fully charge them from a small solar array.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 26-Nov-2018 20:40 Message #4729558
When they have persuaded everyone to buy a electric car we will need loads of new power stations to meet the demand.
Probably the only power stations that could handle it will be nuclear.
The protesters can then change their placards and protest about them, job done. They will always have a cause.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 26-Nov-2018 21:10 Message #4729563
The protesters have discovered perpetual motion.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 27-Nov-2018 05:31 Message #4729581
The electric cars are getting there, think some are now offering 250 - 300 miles per charge and will recharge to about 80% capacity in around 30 minutes.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 27-Nov-2018 22:29 Message #4729630
Electric cars are improving but they are expensive and I would be very concerned about hav8ng to sell one later. Recharging is still a nightmare problem.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 27-Nov-2018 22:29 Message #4729631
electric cars are getting better, but our power supply network isn't...they already talk of possible blackouts at times of high demand as we use more and more electricity.

and whats going to happen to all the batteries that die, landfill ??

i just dont get this push to leccy vehicles, must be a greasy palm job.
Female
The_Jewess_Rebecca  Female  Herefordshire 5-Dec-2018 22:13 Message #4730275
Oh come on, you're not trying. We haven't had the tired trope about "domestic extremists" and "terrorists" yet, or maybe I just got bored and missed it.

I do marvel at the capacity for gammon to elevate "holding up the traffic" as the worst offence anyone can commit. We might be wiping out the natural world and facing global climate apocalypse but FFS don't hold up the traffic.

Apparently the idea that some people might make space in their lives for more than shopping and holidays doesn't seem to compute but I can promise you, there will be plenty of taxpayers in that crowd and even if they are "on benefits" so what? Shouldn't we be grateful that they've got off their backsides to make a stand on everyone's behalf while the rest of the nation gets on with being self serving and whingeing about traffic jams?
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 5-Dec-2018 22:40 Message #4730278
I’m not grateful for hordes of scroungers with plenty of time on their hands to disrupt others for their own self indulgence.
Female
The_Jewess_Rebecca  Female  Herefordshire 5-Dec-2018 23:02 Message #4730279
Yes let's not let the annihilation of the natural world and the demise of mankind get in the way of our Christmas shopping.

I don't imagine you have much personal experience of standing up for important moral issues so let me assure you that these "hordes of scroungers" are the people in society who bring about moral and social progress. They're the ones bright, thoughtful and educated enough to see past the devious, manipulative BS that's spewed out of our corporatist mainstream media night and day and who understand that the world is being destroyed by ruthless psychopaths whose objective is to keep everyone producing and consuming and turning on those who challenge them.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 5-Dec-2018 23:21 Message #4730281
I disagree. I think they serve no purpose at all and often do more harm than good. Some people seem to think just because a person wanders up and down with a placard causing a nuisance it automatically means they are good people but that is seldom the case in my experience.
I’m surprised you think you know me well enough to judge what moral issues I stand up for. Ossibly more than you.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »