Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

one to watch...

billion pound romance scam

Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 19-Nov-2018 18:05 Message #4728853
panorama 8.30 tonight.

they are turning the tables on the fraudsters with a fake profile.
Male
connexkev  Male  East Sussex 19-Nov-2018 20:06 Message #4728864
I will be watching this programme
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 19-Nov-2018 20:46 Message #4728866
I,m watching it but shouldn't...I,m cynical enough...lol

but some people just wont learn...ffs don't give money!
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 19-Nov-2018 20:49 Message #4728867
oh my god, did you hear that old bloke!!!..drugs and alcohol kill but so does loneliness...I agree but seriously you gave her £500 and you,re still lonely cos you will never meet her...you,ll be lonely and poor or in debt
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 19-Nov-2018 21:00 Message #4728869
so glad he found someone...ah bless...I,ll turn my cynicism off...lol
Male
Helper icon Helper
Chris2mates  Male  Lancashire 19-Nov-2018 21:14 Message #4728871
That was beyond sad.

Lonely people being scammed and exploited is so tragic.

I so wish our housing design was better suited to meet the needs of those who are in or at least entering their later years.

I saw a housing unit about a year ago with 68 flats in. 1 and 2 bedrooms. Some with a balcony. They a meeting room with a TV on the wall, a games room, a small cafe area. They had 3 staff on call 24/7. They had a guest room you could hire for visitors. The place was wonderful. Rent and service costs were around £450 per week but that included all energy costs etc.

I know an old woman who lives in a house she has occupied since she married. She is around 86 now and to all intents a prisoner in her own home. She sits there every day just waiting for the occasional visit from one of her 2 grown up kids. In reality, she is just eeking out her days whereas if she sold her house and rented one of those plush units (around 1/2 mile from where she lives) she would have a great quality of life. I suspect she is trying to preserve her kids' inheritance but she is desperately lonely.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 19-Nov-2018 21:17 Message #4728872
yep chris I agree, my mum moved into one of them aartments with communal area for bingo, pottery etc...and she is out most evenings and afternoons...gave her a new lease of life and now she not only has people to talk too but she has something to talk about
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 19-Nov-2018 22:28 Message #4728878
the old guy was cleaned out of £100,000 and having to pay creditors out of his pension, but still has another £500 to give to another scammer ?
my emotions varied from sad to there's no fool like an old fool.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 20-Nov-2018 00:13 Message #4728884
Thanks for the heads up Fosy, I watched it.
Makes you realise why scammers exist, too many easy pickings.
An American soldier with a Nigerian accent?
Glad the old man met someone in the end, hope it is genuine.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 20-Nov-2018 11:15 Message #4728899
n/h,

i did wonder if the ending wasnt one "for the camera,s"...but thats just the cynic in me.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 20-Nov-2018 21:41 Message #4728941
Thanks for the heads-up fosy.
Watched it this evening on catch-up.
Poor old sausage, but who could find fault with the statement regarding loneliness being harmful?
Still, reckon all the other comments on here are fitting.
Mmmm - a happy ending on Panorama ?
Maybe we all (MSE members) have a strong sense of self-preservation - call it cynicism if you want - I'd call it healthy.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »