Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Flu Jab

At the reception.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 15-Nov-2018 12:50 Message #4728560
I had my flu jab yesterday, I arrived at the doctors ten minutes early and reported to the reception hheres how it went.
“ I’ve come for my flu jab “ the receptionist looked at me over the top of her glasses and replied “ take your jacket off” a little bit confused I said “ are you doing it here,”
“ no “ she said we are just trying to save time”
Is it me turning into Victor Meldrew or are receptionist a bit above their station.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Nov-2018 14:52 Message #4728563
You are lucky to get yours, I am still waiting and no one offered it anyway.I have had to ask and yet I am classed as high risk. Have you had the shingles one yet Mancers. Thats another story. You have to be born in a certain year each time its offered.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 15-Nov-2018 17:02 Message #4728571
Having mine tomorrow evening after they texted me again yesterday. Never had one but I'm expecting to feel a little worse for wear over the weekend if what I've heard is true.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 15-Nov-2018 17:32 Message #4728580
It takes about 5yrs to train to be a doctor.

It takes a few minutes for a receptionist to be a doctor.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Nov-2018 17:55 Message #4728592
This years Flu jab covers 5 strains... but I havent heard of anyone yet round this way, who has been unwell... thats a good sign. I'll let you know when I have mine, next Monday...

V x
Male
Helper icon Helper
Chris2mates  Male  Lancashire 15-Nov-2018 17:57 Message #4728594
Had mine about 3 weeks ago and was a little 'off' for a day or two but nothing specific. Alls well since.

I was told when there that there were supply problems for the over 65's but I assume that's now been addressed.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 15-Nov-2018 17:59 Message #4728596
I was surprised to have been invited but guess I qualify for some reason.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 15-Nov-2018 18:05 Message #4728598
I had mine about three weeks ago and no side effects.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 15-Nov-2018 18:18 Message #4728601
Had mine last week - a special one for the over 65s this year. No side effects, as usual.

I had the shingles one last year ... in my backside as I can't have jabs in my right arm after surgery ! Ouch!
Male
Eljer  Male  North London 15-Nov-2018 18:24 Message #4728603
I had one last year, the nurse made an mistake, she gave me a jab and it was for woman flu and i couldnt stop talking all day to my mates about going shoe shopping, so fcuk the shoes this year, i aint having one.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 15-Nov-2018 20:14 Message #4728615
No unwellness here following 'flu jab last Friday - the Practice Sisters work on three-minute appointments - no human receptionist necessary - patients know they're going to get a jab in the upper arm and dress or prepare accordingly - for the most part.
Sister told me it was good for Man 'Flu too - we'll see about that.
Similarly, reportedly no 'flu jab side-effects among (~nine) library staff canvassed yesterday.
Shingles jab last year - nothing to report.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Nov-2018 21:35 Message #4728634
Sometimes, the receptionists have more common sense.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Nov-2018 21:40 Message #4728636
Here is a link about who gets offered the flu injection and the difference between the over 65's and younger "at risk" entitlement.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/#who-should-get-the-flu-vaccine
Female
Weatherwax15  Female  Buckinghamshire 16-Nov-2018 01:25 Message #4728659
I went to my doctors to see if anyone would look at a painful foot which I thought might be an insect bite( horse fly?) Receptionist told me no one would look at it without it being Xrayed! So I drove 20 miles to my nearest hospital and upset the doctor( after waiting for 3 hours) who said, “ well, if the receptionist says its got to be Xrayed, I suppose the NHS must waste its money” ! It was a bite.

Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 16-Nov-2018 07:28 Message #4728664
Still, it was a day out and the procedure and diagnosis were all done for free.
So silver linings and all that...
lol
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 16-Nov-2018 11:00 Message #4728671
Weatherwax,

I agree with you. Ridiculous. But then that is the GP tactic to block receptionist from booking appt. Not good is it?
Though a walk in centre is for that purpose.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 20-Nov-2018 08:38 Message #4728890
Jab was pretty painless. A small prick (NHS staple joke) and done. Just tender for 3 days after if you pressed upon the site but no symptoms.

Asked why I'd been offered it this year and she said I just squeeked in due to BMI - but only by 3 points and my BMI was 15 points lower than the last time I saw her, so looks like I'll have to pay if I want it next year. I kind of want to!
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 20-Nov-2018 08:52 Message #4728891
Yes mancers definitely a touch of the Victor Meldrew hehe. I've waited in the hospital for jabs and if each person stands around taking jackets and coats off it would double the waiting times for everyone else.
All my experiences of doctors and receptionists from my own childhood up to the present day with two children of my own have been very good. We are very lucky in this country.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 20-Nov-2018 09:00 Message #4728892
Slightly off topic ... sorry mancers

I wanted to make an appointment to see my doctor but, looking online, the next appointment was 3 weeks away.
In the past, I've been able to see another doctor by making an appointment via the receptionist. However, it appears that the doctors now want to see their own patients, so I couldn't get an appointment .. even the locum was booked up for 2 weeks.

The helpful receptionist told me if I needed an appointment before then I had to ring in the morning and either ask if there had been a cancellation or say it was an emergency (or really bad etc...) and I would be able to come down after normal surgery.

When I went for my flu jab, I asked the nurse to look at an injury to my leg which I was concerned wasn't healing properly, just for some advice. She thought I needed some antibiotics and got a doctor to sign a prescription while I waited!

So, I now have an appointment with my own Doctor in a couple of weeks time, where she can check on my leg, and if the other stuff doesn't improve, I can do a morning phone call.

Not the best arrangement but I'm happy that my surgery has helpful people who are concerned about my welfare.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 20-Nov-2018 15:34 Message #4728901
Judance,

...and hope Mancers doesn't mind as threads do develop as normal conversations do.

I am really surprised your surgery has started to do that as it is ...well... quite "old hat".

Insisting patients ring the following morning stems from a target driven system where the GP practice gets penalised if they don't have at least 2 appointments a day free, for emergencies on the day. The dilemma is, we cannot please the public all of the time as we have complainers (not you) who want an appointment if it is free a day or two ahead, but then, even more, complain and expect to be "squeezed in" when all the appointments are full. Many think they are always the exception, so once we squeeze in one, there is always an after wave of others.

My assistant had two squeezed in after this mornings surgery which means she will miss her lunch...again. Then new reception staff come along and follow like sheep because someone else did it first.

I'm sure having to see the same GP went out a few years ago because patients were meant to be registered with the practice, not the GP THis was because if a GP set up on his/her own, they could take the patients with them. Of course, there are advantages of seeing the same GP who knows you. We had one like that who retired, but then many patients who had been forced to see him for years, suddenly found a new set of eyes on their health resulted in a diagnosis that had been missed due to his complacency and arrogance.

Your situation Judance sounds like something a Walk-in centre would deal with.?
They are staffed by nurse prescribers and higher level nurses who operate more like doctors.
It also sounds as if a swab might be appropriate if weeping, otherwise guessing the anti-biotic could result in building resistance to the one you don't need. Something we are trying to reduce.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 20-Nov-2018 21:00 Message #4728935
Receptionists have had ideas above their station ever since there were receptionists.
Not all admittedly, but enough of them to provide us with a stereotype.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 20-Nov-2018 21:19 Message #4728939
Mixed feelings about receptionists. Some good, some bad.

I do understand them trying to quicken things up a bit though. Some people haven't a clue. It is a bit of common sense to be prepared. Last year when I had the flu jab, there was a solid queue of people on a Saturday morning, and i expect some would have layers of clothing on, sometimes justified, but often not when you are in the queue in the surgery. I have got this years one on Saturday, my allocated time is between 10 and 11 am. I may even try telling a few in the queue to roll their sleeves up myself, but I will then have to join the black eye queue.

When I was in the hospital last week for some blood tests, I already had my coat off and sleeve rolled up, even though I had to wait about an hour. It just seems like common sense.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 21-Nov-2018 21:53 Message #4729020
It"s not always the receptionist's fault. Sometimes it' the clot behind the steering wheel (as my grandfather used to say).

I won't run the" pile em high" flu clinics because close proximity of high risk patients means they spread bugs like wildfire and blame it on the flu injection.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 22-Nov-2018 12:09 Message #4729060
No Shingles jab yet V, I’m a pin cushion as at is, maybe it’s just for you women.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 22-Nov-2018 12:23 Message #4729061
I had a t-shirt on under my jacket so was prepared for the jab,the nurse who gave me the jab did inform me they were timed to three minutes per patient, it took about a minute, but we had a little chat to get our money’s worth. :0)

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »