Conversation Religion and Spirituality
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Yay its annual catholic burning

day

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2018 11:09 Message #4728080
Ever since I found out about the gunpowder plot in more detail than the "penny for the guy" version of childhood I've found this a very odd festival. Its not overtly religious and yet it is and its not overtly political and yet it is. We celebrate that the Protestant king and his parliament, which was nothing like democratic being made up of aristocratic cronies, didn't get blown up by oppressed Catholic mostly aristocrats and their mates, by reinacting being burned at the stake and setting off small colourful explosions. Weird or what?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Nov-2018 11:35 Message #4728082
If any priests with dodgy eyesight are trying to read the title, it is catholic burning, and not catholic bumming, although every day is the latter to most of them.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 5-Nov-2018 15:16 Message #4728086
Well I guess, like or loathe your Parliament , treason is treason

and lets face it, a jacket potato cooked in a bonfire is excellent lol
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 5-Nov-2018 17:59 Message #4728089
One way of keeping warm ...

Chris.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2018 18:34 Message #4728091
Nah, don't like jacket potatoes done on the bonfire, I'm not a huge fan of jacket potatoes at the best of times and its one of the few things I prefer done in a microwave.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 5-Nov-2018 18:37 Message #4728092
Not so much odd wondrous, but exceedingly selective (nay, even discriminatory) when, if history books are to be believed, the numbers of people burned at the stake for the then current version of 'heresy' must run into the hundreds of thousands. So why just pick on the original Roman Candle, Guido Fawkes ?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2018 18:45 Message #4728096
Its odd and selective, there have been so many heresies over the years and probably the biggest one is the Roman Catholic Church, I'm reading a book on the crusade against the Cathars, the hypocracy there was unbelievable.

But I do have some questions about the gunpowder plot, who were the plotters planning on putting on the throne instead of James I? I've never been sure of what they planned for a succesful aftermath when all the king and government were dead.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Nov-2018 19:17 Message #4728102
The problem I have with it all now though, is when a big bang happens, I just think it's those Islamic nutcases, although thinking that they are blowing themselves up is actually better than any firework display.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 11-Nov-2018 11:35 Message #4728368
wonderoushen. So much would be different if the plot had succeeded. It would have killed the Royals but also an enormous number of innocents too. I think it would have kicked off a religious civil war and many more thousands would have died. As Fawkes failed he became a figure of ridicule but had he succeeded he would have been hated probably more than anyone else in British history.
The throne might have gone to one of the young children related to the Royal families of the time.
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 11-Nov-2018 12:35 Message #4728372
I don't think Fawkes would have been hated by more than anyone in British history because Fawkes was just the fall guy, (the Rodney of Rodney and Delboy fame) with him being given the risky, dangerous, task of lighting the blue touch paper.

Ironically, it was the charismatic Robert Catesby (who masterminded the Gunpowder Plot) that history seems to have forgotten.

Had the Gunpowder Plot been successful, it would be Catesby being hated more than anyone in British history ... if we were to acknowledge that platitude as being a worthy one to use in eluding such a thing.
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 11-Nov-2018 12:38 Message #4728373
OR alluding to such a thing! :-)
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 11-Nov-2018 17:19 Message #4728400
Guy Fawkes was so incompetent with explosives had they ignited he may well have killed himself and his cronies even though he was hired as an explosives expert. Fawkes was just a murdering mercenary willing to kill anyone for money so he would have deserved to be hated.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Nov-2018 18:27 Message #4728408
I don't think Catesby would of been the most hated man in history, if his plan had been successful and the country had returned to Catholicism, then we'd be in a slightly different place to now and probably so would the rest of the world. We might of had a civil war along religious lines 30 years before we did, people forget that that "English CIvil War" was as much about religion as politics, we also forget that it wasn't the first civil war we'd had nor was it the last. We may have ended up with a civil war later and been a republic or another and different civil was to the so called Glorious Revolution that enshrined a constitutional and protestant monarchy, don't forget it was only in the last decade or so that the legal restriction about royalty marrying catholics was repealed.

I still find it a strange custom even though I do like fireworks.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »