Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Alternatives to cars

What would you have?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Nov-2018 18:44 Message #4728050
I know some of you don't have cars and are blessed with good public transport and can ride bycyles and stuff, but if you had to have an animal for transport what you choose?

I think I'd have a camel, a nice Bactrian double humper rather than an Arabian single humper, I don't know why but I've always fancied riding a camel and they can run quite fast and carry lots, so no problems getting my shopping home.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 4-Nov-2018 19:21 Message #4728054
When I was on the farm as a toddler we still had some heavy horses. They were gentle giants.
So I would have one or two of those.
Plus I could hook up a wagon or other implements.
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 4-Nov-2018 19:22 Message #4728055
I've used electric transport for over a decade or more and only ever lease or rent fossil fueled transport very occasionally.

I've always fancied riding a hucow so I'd probably choose that mode of transport / entertainment if I had the choice. They are a very rare animal though. :-)
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 4-Nov-2018 19:48 Message #4728058
Ants might be good for transportation

If I could amass and train, approximately, 40 - 50 million regular UK ants, they could carry me, (and my shopping), back from Morrisons.
Male
OTB  Male  Dorset 4-Nov-2018 20:13 Message #4728059
Considering it was made in 1926, Fritz Langs Metropolis (or Ridley Scotts, Bladerunner), shows us what a future rendition of transportation might, indeed, look like fairly soon and, with drone technology now being cut, pasted and scaled up to cater for individual human transportation needs, we must be only a few short years away from actually living in the future depicted by both those films.

Actually … We don’t even have to wait a couple of years …

Check out the Ehang 184, a really sexy, autonomous passenger carrying Chinese manufactured electric drone about to be commissioned for Dubai.

These things are going to be cheap, idiot-proof to operate, (automatically), and they’ll be dotted around cityscapes for anyone to jump into and fly … probably via controls embedded into some smartphone app!

OK. Technically NOT an animal ... as yet ... but in a few years, (when all machines are sentient and self aware), it probably would qualify as being a "living"thing. :-)
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 4-Nov-2018 20:59 Message #4728061
A horse and a pack of huskies with sled.lol
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Nov-2018 21:11 Message #4728062
Bernie Cliftons Ostrich
Female
BlinkinLights  Female  South Yorkshire 4-Nov-2018 23:36 Message #4728068
I think I rather like the idea of a sled pulled by Huskies - but not in the snow!

If only our roads would allow it - why not have an elevated road which could be car and lorry free, for all the ppl who want to cycle, camel, husky or whatever around !!!
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 4-Nov-2018 23:50 Message #4728069
a couple of reindeers.
Reindeers have nice faces and gentle eyes ,although I am sure they are not THAT gentle to handle
The carriage should be in the form of a sleigh , but with little wheels under the sliding bars/poles to carry me from one end of the village to an other in all kinds of weather be it on tarmac or snow. .

Leogirl.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Nov-2018 07:23 Message #4728072
Alternatives to cars
What would you have?

Wings ...
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 5-Nov-2018 09:39 Message #4728073
I'd like a dragon. Takes care of quite a few problems.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Nov-2018 09:50 Message #4728074
Or even a broomstick at certain time of the year..
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2018 10:47 Message #4728077
A dragon would be good, but what sort of dragon, a GoT's type of one or a Anne MacCafferey Pernese type? Personally I'd go for the Pernese version, but I was thinking more of non fictional creatures when I started this thread.

I sort of like the idea of huskies, but I remember watching Billy Connolly's trip to the arctic which included a huskie sled ride, he said it was a great idea, but huskies are fed raw meat and fish and they fart, you end up travelling in a miasma of dog fart, that sort of takes the shine off it for me.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Nov-2018 11:51 Message #4728083
The Flintstones Dino-crane would be useful.

Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 5-Nov-2018 14:02 Message #4728085
A horse, or a pony as I don't like heights. Donkeys are lovely.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 5-Nov-2018 17:23 Message #4728087
badman, Look no further, my second name has been THE Dutch Dragon.
whenever you need transport …. step in my sleigh .
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 5-Nov-2018 17:35 Message #4728088
wonderousen

our 2n dogs are fed on raw meat and raw vegetables. Their poos are less smelly and their farts are no worse than before unless …. they eat the stalks of cauliflower and broccoli . Now that is super powerful .

The raw diet has improved the health of Huxley enormously , although he had always good quality dry food .
Huxley is very upset at the fire works. He barks and howls! ! Will not open the door to anyone as he will be unpredictable or run away.

Leogirl
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Nov-2018 18:38 Message #4728093
I'm just commenting on a comment of Billy Connolly's, I give my cats and Pickle dog raw food as I'm sure its beter for them. Has Huxley tried a Thunder Coat? They sell them in pets at home and I remember someone here said her dog really benefitted from one. I usually give the dogs xmas dinner as a bit of a treat, but I stopped giving the sprouts because of the smell, Dogglet tried to run away from his own bottom!
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 5-Nov-2018 18:42 Message #4728095
A dragon, or a broomstick maybe.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 5-Nov-2018 18:50 Message #4728098
'Tis all very well returning to a time when all sorts of animals roamed the highways - and we all know of the subsequent benefits.
'What do you put on your rhubarb ?' ...@... 'Oh really? We have custard on ours.'

My choice though, given the question, would be Shanks' Pony - and often is, but by eck, there's no doubting the car comes in very handy.
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 6-Nov-2018 00:44 Message #4728107
I'd want to teleport or be able to move by will of mind.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Nov-2018 10:19 Message #4728155
Teleporting would be good, but I think I'd worry that all me molecules would get muddled and come out with me feet on backwards or something. I do like the idea of being able to go somewhere for the day, like visit the pyramids or Luxor and be back in time for tea.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 1-Dec-2018 09:31 Message #4729887
Apparently muddled molecules can give you a bit of a headache. I have a friend in his fifties who gave up his car twenty years ago and says it was the best thing he has ever done and changed his life and lifestyle fo r the better. He cycles locally and is to be seen out in all weathers. He has also had a few fads such as roller ball skate thingies which he used to get to the station when he was in his suit which looked odd at first but then made good sense.
We won’t give up our cars but if all cars were snatched away from us I think we might all benefit once the moaning subsided.
Male
TheHermit  Male  Oxfordshire 1-Dec-2018 14:51 Message #4729906
An albatross. An albatross could take a run up along the centre of my street. Providing nothing turns into the junction at the end of it, an albatross might just about get air born, though it would need to make a steep ascent quickly to avoid ploughing into the roof of a bungalow.

For shorter trips I would go for an Ostrich, but I might get done for speeding.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands 1-Dec-2018 14:57 Message #4729907
I think i would make do with ever reliable "Shanks's Pony ;-) lol

Andy Mac

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »