Conversation Travel Holidays and Meetups
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Hamilton Square anyone?

Velleity

Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 16-Oct-2018 11:47 Message #4727082
Nothing as strong as the 'long felt want' made famous by the late, great Sir TW, but since the weather at Birkenhead is forecast to be pleasant next Saturday (20 October 2018), I have a velleity to have a mooch in the vicinity of Hamilton Square.

Haven't yet got any firm plans, but note from Trip Advisor that there's several likely-looking pubs, a nearby market, a plethora of Grade 1 listed buildings and, perhaps, a whole heap of other less familiar words. Anything likely to deserve a stack of time, such as going inside a U-boat, I'm inclined to save for a different day.

So, company would be a bonus, and I'm confident that recognition procedures, rendezvous could be contrived to suit.
Sure, MSE seems to be out of practice in this, but:
Any takers ?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 16-Oct-2018 20:50 Message #4727115
I will be there, I will wear a plastic nose, my code name will be Tramantona Bear
So if no one turns up, just run around and pull peoples noses, remember my nose is a false plastic one, so it will come off.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 16-Oct-2018 21:45 Message #4727117
ah shame I have plans...used to work in a solicitors(not solicitoring.lol) years ago,,
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 17-Oct-2018 11:01 Message #4727148
Thank you for teaching me a new word. Valleity. I had to google it "a wish or inclination not strong enough to lead to action." such a useful word, I can't imagine how it has avoided my knowledge base for 70 years.

Birkenhead is too far unfortunately or I would be there. I haven't visited the place since I was a young child and stayed with relatives in Liverpool. Ah, the joys of travelling through the Mersey Tunnel in a Ford 8!
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 17-Oct-2018 13:39 Message #4727164
Mmm - you shine a light upon a valid aspect NotHermit. Mutual recognition.
Forced to think about it more deeply, it's all very well for me to say that I will wear or display a red anorak and might have a pipe somewhere about my person ('twould maybe help if I could prolong the pyroclastic phase perhaps?), but I am also aware of other potential pitfalls in the way of unfamiliar folks actually meeting in an area that may also be unfamiliar. Mobile phones could provide a solution, but openly publishing numbers would be an unwise move (& agin site rules) - so exchange numbers via PMs - first let's see who expresses an interest, because there could easily be members who might fancy this sort of excursion having read the Conversations, but are reluctant to post where anyone see their personal information - also, some MSE regulars can come across as a bit intimidating to those who are unsure - as might be pulling the noses of people whose path you happen to cross!

Rr Ay EU*! What a shame you can't make it - someone with local knowledge would have been a valuable asset. Hope your plans go well. Catch you again sometime. Thanks for your interest.

Granted Aely - views of scenery from the inside of any tunnel is somewhat limited and as for the vehicle: the first car I owned was a Fort Prefect with sticky-out indicators and windscreen wipers that slowed down when going up hill, Joys of the open road - I think not! Yes indeed, distance to travel versus estimated time spent in enjoyment is a powerful factor widely appreciated not only by MSE members. But thank you for expressing your desire to come along.

An interesting experience trying to turn a velleity, something that Dr. Spooner might have called 'a half warmed fish', into a MSE meet.
Oh well, time enough for things to improve. Wait and see how high the cat jumps.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 17-Oct-2018 20:09 Message #4727201
Hope you get some interest W. I have been on the other side of the Mersey a few times, I worked in Liverpool a few years ago.
Never crossed it though, that song by Gerry Pacemaker put me off.
Pulling noses is ok, just make sure you apologise afterwards * Sorry I thought you were Tramantona Teddy*
People are very understanding nowadays.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 19-Oct-2018 10:22 Message #4727284
Weather still set fair - reckon I'll go for it regardless of any other interest & to give the day a chance to air, I'll probably get there late morning .
For anyone with a mind to join the mooch, there's time enough yet to PM and exchange mobile numbers - before 22:00 tonight would be favourite - have to get my beauty sleep 'cos I wouldn't want to frighten the bus driver on the first leg of the journey.

Uh hu NH, lived there six years - seems there's stuff that it's nigh on compulsory to do - stood on The Kop (very crowded - yeuch) wedged behind a pillar, Liverpool 8 - Swansea nil, saw four of them. Another time when asked: 'What religion are yer? Red or Blue?' and feeling non-confrontational answered: 'Tranmere Rovers'. But that was a fib and I've only ever crossed that river underneath or over the top.

Hey Ho! Thank you folks for showing an interest.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 19-Oct-2018 19:48 Message #4727312
Long way for a day trip, unfortunately.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 19-Oct-2018 22:16 Message #4727316
Ah Minnie. I'd surely be able to count on you were it not for the geography.
Thanks for your input.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 20-Oct-2018 20:57 Message #4727350
Mooch successful. PM driver for details.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »