Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Why, oh Why ...

.. do they have to be so

Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 24-Aug-2018 20:41 Message #4723953
Loud??

It seems to me that wherever I go these days people are so loud. I'm not talking about playing music in cars and such ... I'm talking about talking!

On the train .. speaking to the person opposite or next to them, and the whole carriage can hear what they're saying.
On the phone .. wherever they may be. Like they don't understand that the phone magnifies their voice
In the pub .. groups sitting close together but all talking at the tops of their voices

The young folk seem to have little or no awareness of what's going on around them, how their actions are affecting others. In their own world of texting and music with a constant noise in their ear buds.

It's not as if I have acute hearing ... I sometimes wear hearing aids, but I still find it all so intrusive.

... your thoughts?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 24-Aug-2018 20:57 Message #4723958
I have noticed this for some time in the pub.

When I am talking to someone I wait until they have finished talking before I reply.

Now they all want to talk at the same time so resort to almost shouting to make sure they are heard. They all want to be the centre of attention.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 24-Aug-2018 21:15 Message #4723966
Quite often people will shout to someone at a distance, when I am right next to the person shouting.
Makes me jump, but it does not seem to register with the shouter.
Pubs are even louder, drink dulls hearing.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire 25-Aug-2018 01:03 Message #4723998
Yes, where I live there are a lot of ppl who shout at one another and they are walking or sitting right next to the other person.
WHY indeed.
In my case (or area) its the type of ppl they are and how they have grown up, with their parents shouting all the time - they just dont know any different or how to behave.
I just try to remember Desiderata :
Avoid loud or aggressive persons, they are a vexation to the spirit.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Aug-2018 10:57 Message #4724015
I hate it when people talk over the top of me, when they ask questions that if they'd stayed quiet and listened they wouldn't of needed to ask. Whats worse is they then decide that what they thought I've said is what I actually did say or meant when its the opposite. I don't go to pubs anymore I don't drink alcohol and non alcoholic drinks are horrible and expensive and its no fun being in a pub and not drinking theres to much pressure to drink and assumptions like you're a recovering alcoholic or you're taking anti-biotics for the clap. People definatley get louder with alcohol and so many pubs and places have so much noise, "music", fruit machines and all the hard surfaces bounce sound off them and make the place echo-y.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 26-Aug-2018 11:27 Message #4724090
It drives me nuts too, although people in general seem to really wind me up these days. The life of a recluse is looking very enticing .
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 26-Aug-2018 11:56 Message #4724104
I stopped going to one of my local pubs because of the noise, it is a Witherspoon’s no music but cheap beer and food, the last straw was when a group of teenagers sat at two tables spent the evening trying to outdo each other in a shouting battle, enough’s enough I’ll go to the grandad pub over the road from now on.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 26-Aug-2018 12:54 Message #4724116
The trouble with pubs like Weatherspoons is that they converted places like Banks and Woolworths into pubs so they are one big room.
My pub has three bars.

Lower bar with pews and tables used by couples, families and groups.
Middle bar used by older locals like me. So a granddad bar lol.
Top bar used by the youngsters.

it works quite well.

No jukeboxes, one armed bandits, chrome or flashing lights like a lot of the modern pubs.
Female
Babs3  Female  North Yorkshire 26-Aug-2018 22:51 Message #4724194
When I moved to the flat I live in now, I had neighbours who were Polish men, 3 of them in a flat together. Boy were they loud!!! Thank goodness they have moved on. Yes agreed, everyone seems to be full of their own importance these days and have little or no consideration for anyone else.
Female
Babs3  Female  North Yorkshire 26-Aug-2018 22:52 Message #4724195
When I moved to the flat I live in now, I had neighbours who were Polish men, 3 of them in a flat together. Boy were they loud!!! Thank goodness they have moved on. Yes agreed, everyone seems to be full of their own importance these days and have little or no consideration for anyone else.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »