Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Brundall

I read today that MPS want to get more expenses for attending Parliment ,

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Brundall  Male  Lincolnshire 21-Aug-2018 14:28 Message #4723667
I think its disgrace that MPs are after more expenses all ready on at least £100,000. Yet the poor are forced into the use of food banks in nearly every city and town in this country would be interested in your views.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 21-Aug-2018 15:47 Message #4723671
Why is this posted in the room for singles only? Not that it really matters!

Two separate issues Brundall. The food banks were introduced by Labour to give some help to those who are not so well off. They have been a great success and I believe a good thing for communities. It is a pity so many want to use this good and charitable act to score political points.

I dont think MPs are particularly well paid in comparison to other professions doing similar work but the request is for more funds to pay staff in connection with the Brexit arrangements as the staff are working much longer hours. So not any extra for MPs but overtime payments for the staff working for MPs.
It doesn't sound unreasonable and when we look at the billions Brexit will cost us it's probably a drop in the ocean.
Spam.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 21-Aug-2018 16:01 Message #4723674
I did the same Hermit. Be funny if we both ended up with dates!
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex 21-Aug-2018 19:33 Message #4723696
Anyone can read stuff in the Singles room. It’s only if you want to post that you need to have dating ticked on your profile.
Spam.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Aug-2018 12:00 Message #4723740
Oh well here it is in a room where everyone can post.

An MP's salary isn't that much when you consider that they have to employ their own admin staff, I think the whole way they're renumerated and the way they're staffed needs to be overhauled and modernised. Its not changed since being an MP was a rich mans game, you shouldn't have to have private wealth to be an MP, I know there are many hard working MP's who arn't privately wealthy and don't have well paid consultancies and after dinner speaking engagements, but somehow those that do seem to rise to the top. I, like many, want my MP to think of being an MP as their main job not a sideline to get them noticed for more and more lucrative roles outside of goverment where they can use their influence for private gain, both theirs and the company/s they represent. I think this is one of the things that has put so many off of politics and has led to a massive distrust of politicians of all parties and the gravy train needs to be stopped and decommissioned.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 23-Aug-2018 23:39 Message #4723892
The one question I have about MP expenses is.

How come Dennis Skinner's are always one of the lowest ?
Last time I looked he was miles lower than anyone else.
If he is able to operate on lower expenses, why do comparable MP's need more?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 24-Aug-2018 06:34 Message #4723895
It could be as simple as Skinner doing less work and employing fewer staff than others. From what I know of Skinner that would seem rational.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 24-Aug-2018 07:31 Message #4723897
"How come Dennis Skinner's are always one of the lowest ?"

I guess much depends on their constituency - size, location, population, rural or urban etc etc...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 25-Aug-2018 16:17 Message #4724033
Food bank use has trebled since the Conservatives came to power, I wonder why.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 25-Aug-2018 16:24 Message #4724035
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either.
Something doesn't add up...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 25-Aug-2018 16:38 Message #4724036
It’s probably a good thing Labour brought it in then.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 25-Aug-2018 16:42 Message #4724037
Things were so bad under Labour they had to bring in food banks? Wow that doesn't bode well for when Corbyn gets in...

Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 25-Aug-2018 17:00 Message #4724040
When! nice to see you speaking sense for the first time.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 25-Aug-2018 17:18 Message #4724042
Yeah, I actually think it needs to happen so people (especially the young) can see the left for how they really are. There's a reason the extreme left have not had power for such a long time, but they have no clue.
I think it will be a complete disaster, and the young will pay, but they are blind to it, so let them learn...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 25-Aug-2018 17:42 Message #4724043
You sound bitter H, the young will be running the country soon and we won’t have to bow down to Brussels, as Blair said once “ things can only get better “
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 25-Aug-2018 17:51 Message #4724045
I thought the "young" were mostly against leaving the EU - rather like with a Corbyn Government, they will be paying the price.
You will be OK, you are retired, I hope Corbyn doesn't ruin things too much before I get to retire in a few years time. The retired and those who don't work will be fine.
I'm mighty glad I haven't got 40 or 50 years of work ahead of me...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Aug-2018 18:29 Message #4724046
I don't any governent has helped young people much, I'm glad I'm not of an age to be starting out, insecure work, zero hours contracts, house prices so much higher than earnings and rents unaffordable for many. I think it would be a mistake to think that a Corbyn government would be a rerun of the worst of the 1970's although I agree it might, we've had nearly 40 years of right wing governments and I include Blair in that, so it can hardly be thought of as incredible that someone like Corbyn will be popular with the young or those who have lost out to conservative policies. Theres a price to be paid for everything and to many the costs of being in the EU are worth paying, especially when a short term loss, best estimates seem to be 5-8 years, is the price, thats a big chunk of time, what should be for many thier prime earning years.

I have a feeling that Corbyn won't be around for the next election or if he is and wins then he won't be in office for long, I think the wheels are starting to come off for him personally, in his own way he's as gaff prone as Boris Johnson. But, the processes he has started and the way he's changed the way policy is made in the Labour Party will I believe remain for a good while and having policy made by the membership isn't a bad thing surely? SO many people say that politics and politicians are out of touch with what real people want and feel, well Labour is having policy made by real people, they just happen to be ones that others really disagree with. Thats always supposing that party politics survives Brexit which I think is looking less likely.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 25-Aug-2018 18:39 Message #4724048
Jeremy is our only chance, like it or lump it, people do not believe the Sun or the Daily Mail, Europe cannot survive without us, but we won’t be pouring millions into their coffers for much longer, a deal is coming if they like it or not.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 25-Aug-2018 18:41 Message #4724049
Corbyn isn't going anywhere because the people in the shadows pulling the strings won't let him.
The left know he is their best chance of actually securing power, the young still adore him and as long as they can keep that going they stand a chance of winning - assuming all these young people can be arsed to vote, of course.
The young have been duped and they can't see, or they choose to ignore the fact, that Corbyn is as anti-EU as Boris Johnson.
The interesting thing is that despite Theresa May's troubles, Labour are still languishing in the opinion polls...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 25-Aug-2018 18:52 Message #4724052
You reading the wrong newspapers H.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 25-Aug-2018 19:04 Message #4724054
I don't read newspapers M...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 25-Aug-2018 19:06 Message #4724055
Good choice.
Female
rosemarysteel  Female  East Anglia 28-Aug-2018 15:54 Message #4724362
Totally agree but even more so where the house of lords is concerned. . whilst there are members of both with integrity t
They both sets em to be. St Epping stone s to directorships. IF they had the one job as some do and. Did consider their constituents !!! But I also feel Jo public needs to be better informed. We certainly were not informed on what goes on in Brussels. Most only wanted what they got out of it. One member with whom I spoke said it was a gravy train. For many.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »