Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Midsummer

And the elephant in the room

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 19-Aug-2018 03:36 Message #4723490
OK. I’ve rolled in at 2:25am after enjoying a night out with both my children, (in their early 30s), having had a perfectly enjoyable night out experiencing Bridport’s carnival and the subsequent adventure of visiting several local pubs in the town afterwards.

I come home late, (obviously), and choose to sign in to Midsummer to see what mischief or fun other Midsummer members have been up to earlier in the evening.

And there is … nothing.

A pattern that has been that way since I “rejoined” the Midsummer community with some idea of contributing to re-invigorating it.

In essence, it is a very disappointing fact of life, (for me), to realise that Midsummer actually shuts down at about 11pm each night because it doesn’t have even the skeleton crew of a membership that parties, gets up to mischief or carries on their upbeat demeanour when they get home from a night out enjoying life.

And while I can comprehend and understand that not everyone might share my hedonistic streak, (I’m joking), it does bother me that a site that has been online since early 1999, (with me as a member since then), cannot even muster up a night shift in the “we like to party” department.

Please don’t have a pop at me for dissing Midsummer’s forums in general because I’m not, and I appreciate that the site does have a loyal and respectful band of regular contributors who make the 9 till 5 aspect of the site a pleasure to view or participate in … despite the modest number of contributors participating these days.

BUT, from a male point of view, there are no Eccentrica’s anymore … no gorgeous women happy to flirt and tease and match our smart minds against their own … on threads and topics that might roll over from a Saturday night into a Sunday morning.

In fact there is no “flirting” with a late night team at all because the site has lost, entirely, that aspect of its own expression and being.

How come a “Social media” site that started nearly 5 years before Facebook can be such a basket case here in 2018, nearly 20 years later?

Sorry for whinging but ...

Many of you will never have experienced Midsummer at its best.

Though many of you will know exactly what I mean.

A tipsy but not, particularly, puggled Beach :-) x
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 19-Aug-2018 07:49 Message #4723491
I remember all the good times well. Beach

Shame though it is , the site is now almost do-do like , , even agronut cannot bring himself to contribute and long gone are the great contributors ,abandoning the marie celeste as they have .
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 19-Aug-2018 08:24 Message #4723493
Can’t fault your observations Beach. I do wonder though if an exciting member who enjoys parties and dating might be too busy to sign into a social media site in the early hours of the morning
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 19-Aug-2018 09:13 Message #4723495
It's shocking, sometimes there isn't even an elephant in a room.
I wonder if it's due to the constant fall in the unemployment figures - it used to be like jobcentre plus on here most week days...
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 19-Aug-2018 10:01 Message #4723502
I agree with Raach ... as you have been out partying, why do you expect others not to be doing the same?

Why would folk log in here to wait until you roll in at silly o'clock just to entertain you?

I've said before that the site is what it is ... people come and people go. In the days when there were very few alternatives, the site was a place where people came to chat and have a laugh. There are many such places now and people have moved on, quite a few into long term relationships as a result of meeting on here.

It's rather like joining an existing club and then moaning that the club isn't how you would like it to be.

If the current site doesn't satisfy your needs, you know what to do!
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 19-Aug-2018 10:39 Message #4723505
When I joined about five years ago there were a few very interesting characters who posted and also a few jokers who entertained. There are still a few remaining but their numbers are depleting and it’s often only a little trolling which breaks the monotony.
Beach. After a night out you should come home and collapse not log on.
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 19-Aug-2018 10:54 Message #4723509
Thanks for your contributions, Zodiac, Raach and Hiero. Appreciated. x

Judance. You always reel out that same reply whenever anyone grumbles about Midsummer, as if you are the only one who claims to care about the site's well being ... but such a "like it or lump it" outlook is not, remotely, helpful.

You miss the point entirely by muttering about me wanting folk to entertain me - as if I was expecting serious dialogue at such a late hour. That is not what I said, claimed or meant.

Rather, I was, lamentably, highlighting the simple fact that a whole segment of time, (say from 11pm - 2pm), where Midsummer might have been used like a "Club for those staying in tonight" ... has totally disappeared from the Midsummer scene, having been such a staple of entertainment for the previous 10 - 15+ years.

Such posts were the posts many people used to enjoy reading when they got in from a night out.

To chastise me for daring to highlight such an obvious but unfortunate state of affairs is rather petty , isn't it?

Some folk, when asked to ponder the activity, (or lack of), on the site these days say, "It's up to us to make the site more interesting, entertaining or busier", (and I'd agree with them) though while on that subject, Judance, (while you are such a martyr in dealing with the photo editing), I rarely see you adding an original post to entertain the community.

Anyway. No matter.

It was foolish of me to believe that my own recent flurry of posts could make any difference so I'll just crawl back under my stone.

And Hiero?

Try your best to resist the sarcastic comment you are already rolling over in your mind.

I'm guessing it'll be along the lines of, "It'll be tough, Beach, but we'll try our best to get along without you"

Well. No. I'm not really going anywhere but I think its time for another little rest.

See you at Christmas ... probably. :-) xxx
Male
Son-of-a-Beach  Male  Dorset 19-Aug-2018 10:57 Message #4723510
Sorry Templar. I missed seeing your post while writing my prior one.

Ha ha. Yes I probably should have gone straight to bed. (Instead of spending the evening partying with my ex wife!)

Right. I'm out of here. xxx
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 19-Aug-2018 11:05 Message #4723511
It seems to me that it’s difficult to make anything something it’s not.
Yes years ago midsummer was what it was then. Now it’s different. It’s different because of the passage of time and the change of members. This is obviously what works for the present membership.

Perhaps there are a few choices: accept the site for what it is, try to make it what you want( by starting late night threads etc) or find it on a different site.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 19-Aug-2018 11:11 Message #4723512
"Please don't have a pop at me for dissing Midsummer's forums in general because I'm not,"

But you are, and you do! lol.

Whats more, your 'late night, ramblings are usually the 'same old'

Maybe the words are in a different order, but the message is exactly the same!

Just because you've been out, had a few bevvies, and a sniff of the barmaids apron, and then came on here to regale us with one of your all to familiar threads, doesn't meant that some of us other lesser important folk, haven't also been out partying , and didn't get home till after the clock struck midnight! ;-}
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 19-Aug-2018 12:54 Message #4723527
Well, Beach, if you continue to roll out the same moans, I guess I will continue to respond in the same fashion.

You may not have been here when I tried to resurrect the bar thread. It faltered for lack of contributions but at least I tried.
I've also recently organised a meet, which everyone seemed to enjoy.

I think we need to move forward rather than looking back to times past ..
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire 19-Aug-2018 14:07 Message #4723533
I am totally in agreement with all that Judance has said
the site is what it is - or you can try to make it something else but dont moan because its not !!!
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 19-Aug-2018 15:10 Message #4723534
I have put in my own pennies worth many times in the past, some just recently as well. My suggestions and posts on the subject, although sometimes a bit critical, are often constructive, in my opinion at least. Go back and look at any of these type of threads, and find my posts, and see for yourself. There may be odd ones that are not as constructive as others, but in general they are.

They try to highlight issues with the site, as I see them, and perhaps what could be done to get over those issues. But they get ignored or somewhat negative responses, as far as the site is concerned. I think in a recent thread, judances message to me and others was something along the lines of 'well go elsewhere and find what you are looking for then'. I even then asked something along the lines of perhaps getting involved in admin somehow, or one of the helpers perhaps, but received absolutely zero response from anyone whatsoever, not even judance, whose post preceded mine.

This site could be built up. I like to post here from time to time. But it does need more posters, new ones, all ages, all times of day, not pissed up in the night ones, but sensible night ones, funny night ones. The world is its lobster, as Del Boy said, or was it Arthur Daley?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 19-Aug-2018 17:38 Message #4723544
"And Hiero?
Try your best to resist the sarcastic comment you are already rolling over in your mind."

I'm actually rather chuffed that I clearly have an impact, all be it a negative, piss taking type of one, but an impact that warrants a name check.
This is what it must feel like when one of those naff DJ's reads out a request for you on BBC local radio - you feel almost famous, but deep down you know nobody is listening...

Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 19-Aug-2018 17:54 Message #4723545
I’m sorry if I didn’t post again on your thread tumbleweed.
I did, however, email Gordon to tell him that you had posted and asked him to take a look at the thread.
I can’t do more than that.
I don’t spend a lot of time on here as I have quite a busy life. I come on to check the photos and have a quick look round while I’m here.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 19-Aug-2018 19:16 Message #4723551
Oh dear, Beach is having imaginary parties now.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 19-Aug-2018 20:40 Message #4723561
Thanks for the response Judance.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 19-Aug-2018 23:17 Message #4723563
If I don't post, it is because I get fed up of so much negativity.
Spam.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 20-Aug-2018 00:57 Message #4723565
Well here I am past midnight just got in from an amazing Prom concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

Just checking if the elephant is still in residence ...
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 20-Aug-2018 07:37 Message #4723567
ha ha i'm far too polite to return the compliment, hermit.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 20-Aug-2018 11:01 Message #4723572
Sorry,Ju. I got in from a night at the pub rather worse for wear and couldn’t stay awake long enough to chat to you last night.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 20-Aug-2018 12:10 Message #4723578
" If I don't post, it is because I get fed up of so much negativity ".

Yes at times there is negativity but that's life.
I don't find that, I think there is a good cross section on the threads with a mix of humour and seriousness.
The Forum tends to be more serious but surely that's the idea.
It would be lovely to stroll through life in a happy haze but unfortunately the Country is going through a lot of upheaval at the moment and this gets reflected in the threads.
Odd as it may seem sometimes a good rant can lighten the load.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 20-Aug-2018 12:19 Message #4723579
My eyes can't cope with a computer screen late at night and anyway I turn into a pumpkin at midnight if I'm not safely tucked up in bed with a book and a cat.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 20-Aug-2018 12:48 Message #4723582
The majority of people are up in the day, sleeping at night, but there is also a whole lot of people who are slightly or greatly different to that. I used to work shifts, where my world would be upside down to 'normal' people.

The country out there is full of people on some sort of social media, day or night. A lot of it can be atrocious though. Disgusting comments etc, psychopathic in some cases even.

It would be good to have a site with the morals and values of MSE for instance, that is vibrant and full of energy. Yes, there are arguments and insults and hurtful things every now and again, and some people pay the penalty for crossing the line, but there is much worse out there. Much much worse.

It may well suit some people exactly the way it is at the moment. That is fine for those people, if they are happy with it.

But in my opinion it needs more. And some of it leaps out at me most times I log in. I feel that I would be a bit of a zombie to just accept it as it is, without being able to add comments about what often leaps out at me.

I enjoy parts of the site, that is why I come back in every now and again, but I can also see how it could be a lot better. Just my opinion, that's all.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »