Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Can someone please tell me

Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 3-Aug-2018 16:27 Message #4722136
what's the purpose of side lights on a vehicle?

If they are only used for parking in the dark, surely manufactures can enable them only when the ignition is off.

And how hard can it be to rig a relay, so when wipers are switched on, the headlights come on too?
Spam.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 3-Aug-2018 17:34 Message #4722143
They protect your car from the Dark Side.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Aug-2018 18:34 Message #4722146
I quite often use them when its raining, its not so much so that I can see, but so as I can be seen, full headlights often seem to dazzle in mizzley wet weather whereas sidelights don't.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 3-Aug-2018 19:21 Message #4722151
You are supposed to have dipped headlights on when it's raining.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-Aug-2018 19:40 Message #4722154
Side lights are so yesterday - it's all these daytime running lights or whatever they are called. It's like everybody is driving around in Volvos.
I understand the safety aspect but why do they have to be so bright - I seem to spend my life driving with some ignorant twat in a massive Audi or Mercedes right up my back bumper with LED lights blazing away like a friggin lighthouse...
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 3-Aug-2018 22:09 Message #4722159
i have the led daytime running lights, and the left/right turn lights...just more to go wrong imo.

and if you cant see [unlit] traffic in daylight, with normal vision, then you need to send your license back !
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex 4-Aug-2018 08:50 Message #4722167
They light up the back of the car too, which can be quite handy when driving.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 4-Aug-2018 17:07 Message #4722185
Range Rover does all of those things - its a thinking car
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Aug-2018 13:22 Message #4722220
Trouble is Victoriana the Range Rover may be a thinking car but its not very clever, must have had a poor education.

In numerous surveys its always in the bottom of the lists when it comes to most reliable cars. Its not alone, most of the top end luxury cars are the same. Too many gadgets causing electrical problems.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 7-Aug-2018 05:15 Message #4722266
Badders..."If they are only used for parking in the dark, surely manufactures can enable them only when the ignition is off"

On my car if I leave the indicator on after switching off the side lights on that side of the car remain on.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 7-Aug-2018 12:06 Message #4722281
"some ignorant twat in a massive Audi"

Know exactly what you mean Hiero - my buddy has just bought one!
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 7-Aug-2018 14:09 Message #4722286
In reply to the OP. sidelights used to be used when visibility wasn'y quite bad enough for headlights but now they are referred to as parking lights and only useful for parking. During the day you nearly always see the complete car long before you notice they have their sidelights on.
I agree they could easily be wired to onloy work when the ignition is off but then you might want to park with the engine running for a while?

Daytime running lights are very useful and a real lifesaver. They make a vehicle so much easier to spot particularly during this time of year when cars under trees become almost invisible, but also in busy towns both for other traffic and for pedestrians.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 7-Aug-2018 15:48 Message #4722289
thinking about it, on fiats you can enable the sidelights to stay on with the ignition off.

there is a little black button on the ign. switch, with the key in the off position you turn the key backwards whilst pushing in the button, then withdraw the key.

Female
rosemarysteel  Female  East Anglia 29-Aug-2018 07:26 Message #4724433
Oh yes how I agree. And when people accelerste from lights only to brake hard to turn off in a few yards. Such a waste of fuel and rubber.
Female
rosemarysteel  Female  East Anglia 29-Aug-2018 07:26 Message #4724434
Oh yes how I agree. And when people accelerste from lights only to brake hard to turn off in a few yards. Such a waste of fuel and rubber.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »