Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Name three places within your town or county that are worth visiting.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
october  Female  Wiltshire 2-Jul-2018 19:23 Message #4720014
1. Locally to my home we have Lacock which is a beautiful National Trust village, it has a smashing cafe called The King John's hunting lodge. They serve smashing cakes and cream teas.

2. I have to mention Bath. Such a lovely city with Pulteney Bridge over the river Avon. Great architecture and parks.

3. Longleat is a great place to take the children. The grounds house lots of things to do and see. Safari Park, maze, train ride, Butterfly farm and much much more.

Can you think of place that may inspire one of us to visit your county.

Oct xx
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 2-Jul-2018 20:43 Message #4720017
In Halifax;
1) The Piece Hall. Newly renovated and well worth a visit.

2) Eureka - the children’s science museum, just across the road

3) Square Chapel- arts centre next to the Piece Hall

Within the wider area; Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall, Hogarth and the Worth Valley Railway.

And of course the most glorious countryside as long as you like it rugged and hilly.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 2-Jul-2018 21:05 Message #4720018
1,Newstead Abbey - Lord Byrons family home but the the adjacent Abbey is now derelict. Beautiful gardens though which has the tomb to his dog Bo'sun.

2. The Galleries of Justice - museum of justice Situated in the Old Shire Hall where the Gallows used to be and contains the cells where people were transported to Australia. There is some very old graffiti in the old exercise yard. The staff are all dressed in and talk in character , kids love it.

3. Hardwick Hall - Elizabethan House owned by Bess of Hardwick , probably the first woman to be independantly wealthy apart from Royalty. First of or one of the first houses to have glazing. fantastic house and gardens.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Jul-2018 21:16 Message #4720020
In South Bucks near to High Wycombe

1) The Hell Fire Caves at West Wycombe - quite spooky but well worth a visit, plus the Mausaleum on the hill (owned by the Dashwood family)
2) The model village called Bekonscot, a wonderful tiny little village all made to scale in a lovely setting, near to Beaconsfield
3) The Roald Dahl museum and his former home at Great Missenden
4), The Kop hill classic/vintage car climb in September (Google it)
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 2-Jul-2018 23:15 Message #4720023
1. Loads of Beaches with stunning views in and around Torbay going all around the Coasts for Adults and Kids.

2.Castles a couple to mention Berry Pomeroy Castle , Powderham Castle, for lovers of History, and concerts (open air)

3.Speciality Museums in Plymouth for Historians.

4. Miniature Pony Centre for Kids and Adults, Dartmoor National Trust, Crealy Park Wild life Park and Activity Centre.

Sorry so much more crammed about six into four, difficult question.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire 2-Jul-2018 23:52 Message #4720029
1. York
2. York
3. York

Er . . . Cant think of anywhere nicer !!!
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 3-Jul-2018 06:18 Message #4720035
Dartmoor

The coast

What more could you want?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Jul-2018 11:04 Message #4720050
Loads of beaches for sunning yourself, water sports, fishing etc.

Loads of places to see birds and red squirrels, take a boat trip to Puffin Island and see seals too.

Theres a few stately homes around, Penhryn Castle is totally built in concrete and is a Victorian Gothic masterpiece.

Theres the slate mines and railway, home to Ivor the Engine.

Theres loads of stuff to see, you may even have a sighting of the incredibly rare wonderoushen!
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 3-Jul-2018 21:10 Message #4720116
We have a rather nice Abbey, St Michael's, Benedictine, still inhabited by monks, which is interesting to visit (by appointment only). It is the last resting place of Napoleon 111, his wife Eugenie and their son. Nothing else of interest in the town really unless you like noisy military aircraft and are here during Airshow week..
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 3-Jul-2018 22:18 Message #4720126
In and around Newbury:

Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey)

Donnington Castle ruin .. site of a Civil War Battle and Shaw House .. Elizabethan Manor House and grounds

Sandham Memorial Chapel .. contains murals by Sir Stanley Spencer

.. plus lovely Parks countryside and canalside walks.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 4-Jul-2018 09:47 Message #4720150
Norfolk

Norwich castle and Tombland area close by

The Broads, Hickling is lovely or any of them.
Gt Yarmouth Minster , the largest parish church in the country, gutted in the war , but wonderfully restored. with Anna Sewells birth place now a quaint tea room with wonderful cakes, and the Priory round the corner.
Female
CloudChaser  Female  Cornwall 4-Jul-2018 10:17 Message #4720154
1. St Michaels Mount, Cornwall. Very historical and enchanting.

2. The Eden Project, Cornwall. Very famous and interesting.

3. The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Cornwall. Beautiful reclaimed Victorian gardens with lovely walks.

Infact there's more than 3 places worth visiting here, I can't really choose just 3, Padstow, Charlestown, Perranporth, Lands End, Falmouth, The Scily Isles, Lanhydrock House and gardens, All the Nat Trust places scattered around the county. Plus all the beaches and seaside villages. Bodmin Moor and the famous Jamaica Inn, Fowey/Bodinnick to visit Daphne Du Murier's (sp?) house. And more...
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 4-Jul-2018 20:10 Message #4720198
Bella, what about Trago Mills - is it still there at Bovey Tracey ?
Female
CloudChaser  Female  Cornwall 5-Jul-2018 10:50 Message #4720224
Butting in, yes all 3 Trago Mills are still going strong, Liskeard, Newton Abbot and Falmouth, and a new one is about to open in Wales.

Female
october  Female  Wiltshire 5-Jul-2018 18:05 Message #4720237
Big thankyou to you all of you for adding your places of interest.

I hope others will be inspired to visit some of them.

Oct xx
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire 7-Jul-2018 23:43 Message #4720373
Yes, October thats why I say "go away to England"
So much to see and do right here.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 8-Jul-2018 00:16 Message #4720374
Trago Mills, Yes just outside Newton Abbot Vic, quite big now, it did have a fire but they have built it up again.
Male
elrond  Male  the Highlands and Islands of Scotland 8-Jul-2018 09:16 Message #4720383
Glenelg Brochs
Corriemony Cairns
The Falls of Glomach
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 8-Jul-2018 11:00 Message #4720394
There's loads in the county of places to go but locally some that spring to mind are:

- East Lancs Railway

- Fitzpatrick's Britain's last Temperance Bar

- Underground Manchester.
A futuristic underground system was re-discovered in 2012 but due to complete lack of funds at the time when the then government pulled the plug on it was never completed. There's an article good article and video about is in MEN:
http://alturl. com/mii9c
and later one appeared in The Guardian :
alturl. com/hsvqq

For walkers we've got loads of hidden gems that only the locals know of and the real history such as The Vanishing Parish, Bircle. It's full of biblical names as well as other things like industrial history. A local person really helps as a guide. I have started documenting it on wikipedia under Bircle.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 8-Jul-2018 11:28 Message #4720398
I was rather surprised at the personal emotional impact The Imperial War Museum North at Salford Quays had on me. Even the building itself is representative of global conflict and disharmony designed to emulate a shattered earth.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 8-Jul-2018 12:17 Message #4720400
Crime through Time museum - Littledean Jail in the Forest of Dean

This is an amazing museum, bringing all sorts of different emotions. Not really for the faint hearted. Covering all sorts of crime through the years, it has things from the holocaust, the Krays, the Ku Klux Klan, serial killers, many many more, also with fictional crime things, and the quadrophenia film items as well.

It is set in an old disused prison, which back in the eighties was bought by the company I worked for, who turned it into a computer room, and I worked out there for a couple of years. It was then sold a few years later to the current owner, who has all the museum collections in there now.

The building is listed, and there are still old cells that have to remain. When I worked there, we used some of the old cells for our print room.

National Waterways Museum - Gloucester docks

A history of the canals and the Gloucester docks.

* Purton concrete barge graveyard - at Purton along the Gloucester to Sharpness canal*

An eerie graveyard of old barges, made of concrete, which were once used along the river Severn, but now lay abandoned, used to shore up the river bank, and now forever a part of the landscape.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 9-Jul-2018 09:07 Message #4720429
There's so many in my local City (the streets are already clogged up with B... tourists!) lol.

Imperial War Museum (Duxford)

Cathedral (Ely)

Oh, and, 4? H... W... (4 miles from A14) lol ;-}
Female
honeybun06  Female  Derbyshire 9-Jul-2018 23:35 Message #4720481
Chatsworth House really is a must do place in Derbyshire. We went to the RHS show and I’m there on Thursday for afternoon tea with my daughter and granddaughter. Also going to the country fair in August.

The Peak District National Park has beauty, interest and activities.

Bakewell has the pudding shop, market and Haddon Hall.

Love where I live
Female
Helper icon Helper
LLstill  Female  South Yorkshire 10-Jul-2018 07:19 Message #4720486
Cusworth hall. Lovely views from there of Doncaster town, plus an interesting museum of local history inside.

Brodsworth hall, a lovely example of a complete surviving Victoria house in England. And lovey gardens to explore

Doncaster Mansion house. Built in 1745

Conisbrough Castle .The keep dates from 1180.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 3-Jan-2019 00:17 Message #4732680
Emley Moor - mainly to say you've been there.

Holme Moss

Bretton Hall Park

To name but three, but as others have said, so many places in this country worth visiting.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »