Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Bird Watching

Starlings are such good parents

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-May-2018 18:59 Message #4717971
The chicks are all hatched and out of the nest as big as the parents, but still they hop around yelling their heads off for food, I've been watching them on the feeders in the garden, one chick pecked its parent up the bum for not getting food fast enough! If I'd of done that I'd have been skelped!

I've been a busy girl today and dug a trench for my runner beans, filled it with manure and compost and planted my seedlings, I could almost hear them giving their roots a good stretch as they settled into their new bed, I hope I get a good crop.
Female
Harley44  Female  the Isle of Wight 29-May-2018 23:19 Message #4718015
I agree with you about starlings. Many a time I have watched the adults feeding their young - often they have three - and they are so attentive. We could learn something from them.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 30-May-2018 07:30 Message #4718025
so are the Blackbirds... they are tirelessly feeding their babies all day here regardless of me in the garden.

I have put my beans in too W/hen and cos of all the rain, they have grown a foot over the weekend and all my other seedlings in boxes ( which I havent had time to plant out) are gagging for some deep soil to get into. Storms yesterday and this am are causing a few problems with excess water.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 13-Oct-2019 08:00 Message #4757801
I have a blue jay appearing regularly.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 13-Oct-2019 08:49 Message #4757812
I hope not, Mr Quiet, or you could have several hundred twitchers in your garden.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 13-Oct-2019 08:57 Message #4757815
In that case Minnie I will immediately dispel the rumour lol. You confess it’s identification was made by a neighbour and I don’t think either of us thought it anything out of the ordinary.
I recognise crows, pigeons, robins and kites.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 13-Oct-2019 09:32 Message #4757823
Crow or rook? Swift or swallow? I only know the easy ones.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 13-Oct-2019 10:50 Message #4757845
I’m a bit like you Neros. I mentioned I liked the birds in the garden and soon after received gifts of bird table, book on bird spotting and a pair of binoculars. This was years ago and I’ve not gotten around to doing any twitching.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 13-Oct-2019 11:10 Message #4757850
Following the descriptions and experiences of people on here when talking about wildlife, I've been trying to think of how I can make life around here a bit better for them - mainly I suppose more for my pleasure than theirs (?)
So, I live in an old fogeys complex, a small central area of grass, dwellings on three sides, trees on the fourth side. There are at least five cats on the complex and they are in the central area at least once or more times per day, there is one very bright street light type thing there as well, and the entrances to the dwellings have lighting above the doors which are lit when it gets dark, so in short it's reasonably well lit.

I know of at least two grey squirrels living somewhere close, they frequently come out to play, birds seem to use the trees as a resting point on their way out or back from wherever they are going, a fox (or different foxes) sometimes walk through it on a night/early morning around a couple of times a year.

What might anyone suggest I do to a) attract more wildlife?, and b) try to ensure the cats don't just end up with more unlucky creatures to torment aand kill?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 13-Oct-2019 11:42 Message #4757867
Window feeders, they have sucker pads that stick to the window, you can get different types and its fun to have a couple of different ones, but be warned, when the food runs out, cheeky bluetits will knock on your window for a refil.

Could a request be made to whoever maintains the gardens to create something more wild life friendly, there are lots of differrent bushes that birds love, a pond even a small one will do more for wildlife than anything else?

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »