Conversation Religion and Spirituality
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Elon Musk's New Space-X Rocket

Launching Cars & Teapots Into Space

Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 6-Feb-2018 10:43 Message #4711308
Don't give up - you'll see where I'm going in the end LOL.

I recently saw [and was much amused by] a post by Spanglish expressing scepticism about whether one should 'respect' an idea just because someone else believes in it. He referenced Bertrand Russell's famous analogy about it not being possible [at the time] to disprove that there is a teapot orbiting the planet of Pluto - and therefore should he believe it. Spanglish Wrote:

"So, on that basis I should respect Russell's teapot eh? Oh well, in for a penny in for a pound, I respect every other teapot (being a lover of tea!) so may as well add Russell's one to the1 collection."

Well...

I heard on the news today that Elon Musk's Space-X Corporation is testing the carrying capacity of a new rocket by lauching Musk's Red Tesla car into space. According to the report, a space-suited mannekin will be seated in the driver's seat and David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' will be playing on the 'radio'.

In view of this unlikely turn of events, I have to ask myself - WHY NOT A TEAPOT orbiting Pluto???
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 6-Feb-2018 10:55 Message #4711318
Here's the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42950957
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Feb-2018 11:31 Message #4711324
Have the pot headed pixies moved there from the planet gong?
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 6-Feb-2018 13:08 Message #4711335
Whady-r-u-sayin there Hen? LOL
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Feb-2018 09:58 Message #4711407
Listen to trippy stoned 70's band Gong Timmee, they're all about the pot headed pixies in flying teapots.
Male
Timmee  Male  Hampshire 8-Feb-2018 19:00 Message #4711449
Yes Hen, I've been to listen to them on Youtube and they are a little 'off-the-wall.' I thought I'd heard the name Gong when you mentioned them and I think that may be from the Alan (Fluff) Freeman Saturday 'Rock Show' on Radio 1 when I was in my teens. I was into the more mainstream Thin Lizzy, Zepplin, Poco, Peter Frampton, Free, Sabbath, & Hendrix at the time. I think I heard tracks from Bowie's newly released 'Station To Station' for the first time on Fluff Freemans's Saturday Rock Show.

I notice Gong made a 'Flying Teapot' album with a great cartoon illustration - was that what you were think of?

Anyway, all that rock marginalia aside, my real point in post about the lauching of the sports car into space (with the dummy wearing a space suit, and the Bowie track playing on the radio) was a pretty bizarre thing to occur, and as unlikely sounding as Russell's classic 'Teapot Analogy'. My implied suggestion in the original post was that it might possibly persaude wavering atheists who'd read Russell to start believing in a God afterall. LOL

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »