Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Dating late 50s into 60s - one problem

Retirement age

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Male
Stilly  Male  Devon
25-Aug-2017 16:20 Message #4699446
I'm 59 now and looking at profiles on dating sites I've just realised there is a big obstacle - retirement age!

A lot of girls' profiles I've looked at say now that they are retired they want to do more travelling, days out etc. Lovely. Trouble is, I've got another 7 years before I can draw a pension!

With the change to the male/female pension age being the same, this situation will only last for a few years, but it does mean that a lot of single women in their early 60s will be doing this travelling on their own!

Lastly I'm amazed at how many are looking to meet men younger than themselves. THEY probably wont be retiring until they are 70!
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire
25-Aug-2017 17:04 Message #4699450
Weekends and annual leave can cover a lot of the travelling/days out if it's what you'd like to do too, and if you're accepting of her travelling with friends or family surely it doesn't have to be a problem? I've got the travel bug myself but retirement is but a dream... Off to Alaska soon though. Yippee!
Male
Stilly  Male  Devon
25-Aug-2017 19:57 Message #4699461
Yes, but what I am seeing is girls looking for a partner to do all this travelling with now that they are retired.
With limited holidays, it isn't going to be me or anyone else that is still working. So he will have to be 65 or over, just to have that time free. Not someone that is 10 years younger!
Female
solstice  Female  Pembrokeshire
25-Aug-2017 20:25 Message #4699469
This is very much my dilemma. All through my working life, since the age of nineteen, I had expected to, and planned to, retire at 60. Thanks to this government that goal post was moved with no warning a couple of years ago, so I chugged on working with a new retirement age of 64+. A couple of months ago, having now reached 63, I checked to see when I could finally draw a pension - and discovered the goal posts have been moved yet again, female retirement age is now in line with male retirement age, and I have to wait till I'm 65 and nine months - which is effectively another 3 years. To say I'm pissed off is an understatement.

I'm psychologically ready to retire, I'm mentally and emotionally tired - and I want to do other things with my life including travelling while I'm still healthy enough to be able to do so.

But I'll be doing it on my own when I finally reach the magic age. My husband is 10 years younger than me; by the time HE gets to retire at 68 (or it could be later by then, who knows), I shall be nearly 80! Doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm just wondering how all these ladies Stilly refers to have managed to retire, given the above. I guess they weren't born in 1954!
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire
25-Aug-2017 20:59 Message #4699477
A good many of us will be working til a ripe old age, even past state retirement
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire
25-Aug-2017 21:02 Message #4699480
Surely its only an obstacle if you allow it to be. If you meet someone who is right then you make it work.

Anyway. people say lost of things in profiles that arent always 100% accurate. Saying you 'want to travel' is a common statement on profiles. I think maybe some people write it for effect rather than really mean they want to spend a lot of time away.

Afterall, even if you were also retired that doesnt automatically mean that you could afford to follow then around the world.
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire
25-Aug-2017 21:21 Message #4699485
I think some people over-complicate things. Where there is a will there's a way. Who dares wins. Love conquers all.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon
25-Aug-2017 23:06 Message #4699496
I managed to finish at 60 I got my works pension, until recently when I got my government one. I guess it depends what sort of work you did what sort of pension you have/had to make it viable to finish work. And have met quite a few guys that have retired by 55 so it happens.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey
25-Aug-2017 23:34 Message #4699498
As others have said sometimes people pad out their profiles for the sake of putting something interesting.
Ignore everything and get to know someone first and work out the logistics later.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
25-Aug-2017 23:42 Message #4699499
As Phoenix has suggested, retirement age is only a problem if you want it to be.
Male
In-Focus  Male  the West Midlands
25-Aug-2017 23:53 Message #4699500
I expected to retire at 60 with my private and old works BMW pension but have decided to wait until I get the government one as well. I dont see why I should subsidise the government moving the goal posts by using my 25% cash and annuity to keep me going until I am 66.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
26-Aug-2017 05:55 Message #4699503
"female retirement age is now in line with male retirement age, and I have to wait till I'm 65 and nine months - which is effectively another 3 years. To say I'm pissed off is an understatement."

Awww poor you!!! But it had to be done at some point... in the name of equality.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
26-Aug-2017 07:24 Message #4699507
Yep, and women are more likely than men to live long enough to actually "enjoy" that retirement.
So many men I know have slogged their guts out and ended up dying just before, or very soon after, retiring...
Male
26-Aug-2017 07:45 Message #4699511
I would never want to fully retire. I like time away from work and I travel quite a bit but I still enjoy working. I dont have to work and can pick and choose if/when I do so maybe that puts a different perspective on it.

Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
26-Aug-2017 07:58 Message #4699514
"Yep, and women are more likely than men to live long enough to actually "enjoy" that retirement.
So many men I know have slogged their guts out and ended up dying just before, or very soon after, retiring..."

As long as the women enjoy themselves and have fun...
Male
26-Aug-2017 08:03 Message #4699516
For generations women have remained at home cooking, cleaning , looking after the children while the husband was out with the lads, playing golf, watching footie or having a few pints before popping home to the little woman with dinner sat on the table .. hardly surprising that it took being divorced or widowed to open her eyes and realise there's plenty of fun for women too.

Sign of the times lol.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk
26-Aug-2017 08:29 Message #4699520
I dont actually see your problem...
you are 59 , date a lady a couple of years younger and you will retire at same age. Then can enjoy good times together.
I cant retire until I am 66 and 8 months...
Male
Stilly  Male  Devon
26-Aug-2017 09:19 Message #4699521
This IS the problem Bewildered. There seems to be a fair number of ladies a few years younger who have retired and now want to make up for lost time. How they did it, I dont know. Maybe they are widowed (will pay more attention). With the newly-found free time they want travel and holidays (and i get the impression its not a fortnight in Bognor) but are also looking to do it with a guy up to 10 years younger than them.

Ok great if you can pull them, but unless they give up their jobs and the lady finances him how is that going to work?

Maybe they are padding it all out, don't know. I might put in my profile that I'm wanting to retire and race my vintage Bentleys in Monaco and looking for someone 10 years younger to join me. Let's see what that does.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
26-Aug-2017 09:58 Message #4699525
" Where there is a will there's a way. "

Good heavens, Mr Lee, I do hope you aren't suggesting what you might be. Should I marry a much older rich man, wear him out and exhaust him into an early grave and then nobble all his dosh and spend that instead?
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk
26-Aug-2017 10:19 Message #4699528
Just exactly, how will you exhaust him Minnie?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey
26-Aug-2017 12:03 Message #4699535
badman,

They can nag you to death.

That's why men die younger, because they want to.
Female
Lady  Female  North Yorkshire
26-Aug-2017 19:42 Message #4699556
I know just as many men (probably more) than women who have been able to take early retirement on a company pension, or by selling their business, and are not needing to work until state pension age, so perhaps those lucky Sixty-something year old women will not need to do their travelling alone.
Male
26-Aug-2017 20:46 Message #4699558
Minnie. I don't think you need a rich man. You need an intrepid traveller with a sense of adventure.

Although nobbling all his dosh might come in handy lol.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
26-Aug-2017 23:09 Message #4699573
You may be right, Lee, but male intrepidness seems to have run out by the time they reach their forties. Perhaps that's why all these intrepid women are looking for much younger men.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk
26-Aug-2017 23:28 Message #4699577
Stilly I dont know of that many women who are retired at 50 -55 and if they have they still do a part time job not holiday constantly .
Maybe you are looking at the wrong women...
Half the women I work with are over 50 with just one or two who retired early but still do the odd shift on the bank for pin money.

But I would not want a holiday in Bognor at any age lol

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Help with conversations