Conversation Travel Holidays and Meetups
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Still want to travel abroad?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 2-Jun-2017 22:41 Message #4690832
Has recent events changed your mind about flying? Not only the terrorist activity but also the crashed computer and baggage chaos.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 2-Jun-2017 23:40 Message #4690839
I think technology has gone too far when it comes to planes and they are too reliant on computers. If computers can be hacked on the ground then surely they can be hacked in the air.
Recently a Quantas pilot said his planes computers went haywire and he was terrified and only managed to regain control minutes from disaster.
I think I will give flying a miss and stick to cruising from Southampton and holidaying in Great Britain.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Jun-2017 23:42 Message #4690840
It certainly doesn't make me feel better about travelling. Increased security at airports has caused delays for a long time now and lost baggage isn't unusual.
My youngest daughter went to a venue in London tonight, with two friends and an adult, but I wasn't completely at ease about her travelling on the train although none of them were concerned.
As it happens they went by taxi do no problem!
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 3-Jun-2017 00:22 Message #4690841
I travel several times a year both to London Airports and more local I do not have any concerns because I do believe when your number is up it is up and the utmost care wont alter that, children die all the time it does not have to because of travel, it might be something tragic at home, but if it is meant to happen it will...
Male
Wry  Male  Norfolk 3-Jun-2017 05:07 Message #4690848
Shortly before the recent airline chaos, this news story was circulating:

"London City is to become the first airport in Britain without a staffed air-traffic control tower. From 2019, pilots using the Docklands airport will be directed by staff based 80 miles away in rural Hampshire. And the airport says moving the eyes on the skies to a remote location will make flying safer and more efficient."

This is complete lunacy.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 3-Jun-2017 05:56 Message #4690850
Statistically, flying is the safest way to travel but, unfortunately, probably the most convoluted!

Jason.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 3-Jun-2017 06:14 Message #4690853
Travelling does not bother me in the way of terrosists.
If you worry about what could happen then you would not go outside your front door and you would be a prisoner in your own home.
Male
Coronto  Male  Devon 3-Jun-2017 09:11 Message #4690862
If I got on a plane & the pilot was a woman I'd get off.
If the "this is your pilot speaking" announcement was done by a muppet from Wolverhampton with a strong yam yam accent I'd get off.

I never fly with Black Country Ladies Airlines.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 3-Jun-2017 09:48 Message #4690869
It is certainly a challenge to negotiate security and boarding but I still like and want to travel. I recently spent an hour and ten minutes in Manchester security for a fifty minute flight where they emptied my suitcase and handbag losing my makeup, phone and boarding card ... I was so angry I was fizzing. A month later KLM lost my suitcase en route to Los Angeles, it took two days to turn up and was left on the doorstep at midnight. Five weeks after that I miraculously sailed through Manchester security but my friend was pulled - another search and long wait. On return from kefelonia I was once again stopped and case almost emptied looking for 'big bottle' which I did NOT have. I am always careful, liquids in see through bag and any electrical and battery operated stuff in a separate bag although I did inadvertently leave seven euros and a rubber band in my pocket and had to place it in a very large box for scrutiny. I'm pleased in one way but some of the petty rules are just say over the top.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 3-Jun-2017 11:29 Message #4690879
Coronto,

Lady pilots are ok when flying planes, its when it comes to parking them its a problem.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 3-Jun-2017 11:31 Message #4690880
Soon my son and I will be traveling to France by car .
Just wished he would not have chosen Calais for the ferry ! What chaos will we meet there? On the way back to the U.K. we hope there are no long delays as the next day it`s work as usual.

(I am quite exciting to go to France as I will at long last meet up with the au-pair girls ( now well middle aged women with grown up children themselves ) after more than 30 years ! )

leogirl.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Jun-2017 11:52 Message #4690885
I'm not afraid of travelling, but I just don't enjoy it anymore, everywhere seems so crowded and expensive, or its just to hot for me, being a cold adapted Northern European give me nice ice age any day of the week.
Male
johnlock  Male  Essex 3-Jun-2017 12:10 Message #4690887
The thought of flying doesn't bother me but it usually takes longer from leaving home to plane taking off than it does for the actual flight!
Not possible for long haul I know but I would far rather take a ferry or chunnel & then drive (or motor bike).

Regards
John
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 3-Jun-2017 23:10 Message #4690939
I travel as usual and think the odds of encountering terrorism us minimal but if like Raach84 I had children then I would be worried about them and would be more careful.

Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 4-Jun-2017 08:06 Message #4690952
I agree Chiog. When you are responsible for others you err on the side of safety. After last nights incident I'm sure a lot of people will avoid London this weekend.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Jun-2017 13:15 Message #4690977
The chunnel, no no no, never that, I freak out enough on the tube, the thought of the English Channel over my head is way more scary, just the thought of it starts a disaster movie in my head. I don't like high bridges either, The Skye Bridge terrifies me as does the Severn Bridge.
Female
eternalrose  Female  Nottinghamshire 5-Jun-2017 10:50 Message #4691078
Yes flew back from Rome last night.No problems no hassle would fly again tomorrow although yes I like cruises too
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester 5-Jun-2017 20:09 Message #4691111
I've travelled by air to France, India, Portugal, and Germany several times this year. Security is high, but the controls seem appropriate. Air flight was once a very attractive target for terrorist attack due to the inevitable impact and publicity, but the western world air industry is now in the main ultra diligent and safe. I'm certainly not afraid of flying.

Any social active area of a western European city could be a potential soft target. The odds of being caught up in an attack upon a soft target are incredibly low, but they do they occur, e.g La Belle Equipe in Paris in November 2015.

The possibility won't stop me from travelling and visiting places. To do so would admit defeat.

Tram
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 5-Jun-2017 22:49 Message #4691116
i havent flown n years. What puts me off is the faffing and fussing and the fact that I am captive in teh airport hours before I need to be and held to ransom by greedy retailers for food and drink. Why does bottled water cost more airside?

I used to enjoy travelling bu t will stick to Britain or ferry travel for the time being
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 17-Aug-2017 01:10 Message #4698441
Sorry Karen sticking TO...

GO just your insecurities bothering this world we live in I do not think you are such a weakling
Spam.
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 17-Aug-2017 16:31 Message #4698480
I dont understand your post Bella. Why am I a weakling for not wanting the hassle of flying abroad? I am not afraid - if I am meant to die on a given date ; I will die
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 17-Aug-2017 17:11 Message #4698481
Oh I thought you meant you were afraid of something happening to you if you travelled too far away.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 19-Aug-2017 07:10 Message #4698612
I don't think there is any shame in feeling unsafe travelling abroad and if you do feel unsafe then it would be a pointless and unenjoyable holiday in any case. I travel with my work several times each month and there are occasions which are worrying and getting caught in bomb scare incidents is no longer unusual but unless in a high risk country I don't think of the dangers.
Female
Tillybow  Female  Hampshire 20-Aug-2017 23:13 Message #4698869
I think most countries run a small risk these days.
As for flying? well, if I booked a holiday abroad I wouldn't worry about the plane, just the airports, and the stress of all the queuing we have to do now.
Actually think I would rather go on a cruise instead. half an hour away from a major cruise ship port, so would be a lot easier as well.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »