Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Reviews!

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 11-Feb-2017 08:37 Message #4677205
I returned from a holiday and was so impressed I went onto Tripadvisor and wrote a good review for the hotel I stayed in. Since then I have written many reviews on flights, hotels, restaurants which I have visited and quite often someone will read a review and ask a question which they do through Tripadvisor.
It pleases me to write good reports when it is deserved but I also write bad reports if these are deserved. I also like being helpful in helping others with their holiday plans.

Do you ever write reviews?
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 11-Feb-2017 08:56 Message #4677209
I sometimes write reviews, mainly on Screwfix and eBay, but not so much lately.

One of the main reasons is that I've been buying quite a few things on eBay for my hobby, especially when bargains pop up and quite often I'm invited to review the purchase, which I can't do, as I haven't got around to using it yet - and then the moment's lost.

Jason.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 11-Feb-2017 09:04 Message #4677211
I have used booking.com quite a lot for trips in Europe and I write a review every time. I've never stayed anywhere bad, but I found other people's comments useful, like how far away the nearest restaurants, beaches are or whether there is ample parking; that kind of thing. If the place is clean and the staff are friendly and helpful, I always put that too.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Feb-2017 09:17 Message #4677215
I've written a few, but by far, my greatest pleasure is reading the reviews other people have left.
It's an absolute comedy goldmine - people practically tell you their life story when reviewing a tin of emulsion paint, they are hilariously funny, whether intentionally or not, and they spell everyday words in weird and wonderful ways. I never knew there were so many ways of spelling the word "definitely".
Youtube comments is another place to go if you feel at odds with life and need a little lift...
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 11-Feb-2017 09:21 Message #4677218
I havent written a review but do read them.

I take comments on accommodation with a pinch of salt unless the majority of reviews are bad.

I do check comments on places to visit , the best way to get there, distance and cost.
I have found this very helpful,
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Feb-2017 13:27 Message #4677249
I write reviews for some of the things I buy, I'm a bit wary when reading reviews as I know many are fake, but they can be helpful when they say mixed things, like works really well but looks terrible. Most of the time I don't care how something looks, but I do want it to work.

I've not planned a holiday for getting on 20 years now so I'm not sure I'd know where to start. I've looked at all these travel sites and they leave me feeling more confused than when I started.
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 11-Feb-2017 15:14 Message #4677269
I do on Trip Advisor as I believe in giving credit where its due also. But if I am given bad service then want to warn others,

I also read the reviews on there when booking anywhere or choosing a restaurant. I know there is lot written about there being fake reviews on there but i think the majority are genuine.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Feb-2017 15:27 Message #4677270
I think it's usually easy to spot the false reviews as they seem to follow the same pattern. I think most are genuine too.
Male
londonlee  Male  Buckinghamshire 11-Feb-2017 17:26 Message #4677281
I write lots of reviews. I'm usually fortunate in my choice of places and most are usually good to excellent. It's nice to have the occasional rant if the service is awful.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 11-Feb-2017 18:06 Message #4677288
When I write a review I try and describe my experience and what I thought about it. I tend to ignore the "A+++" or "rubbish!" ones when I'm reading a review. I'm more interested in how clean a place is for instance, not the amount of facilities. Often a picture tells a thousand words.

In the past I've found that some hotels are great value for money even if it get's bad reviews. Some people expect The Ritz at a cheap price where I tend to judge on you get what you pay for.

There's a cheap & cheerful B&B I use near King's Cross when I'm in London that has mixed reviews. For the price it's excellent, comfortable beds and always spotlessly clean which is what counts to me but you still get some who expect The Ritz for a cheap price.

It's cheaper than the Travelodges of this world, spotlessly clean and includes a full English breakfast and that's what counts for me. They already recognize me when I go and we are on first name terms by now ;-)

Ebay reviews tend to be useless because you often get pointless comments since people are aware that another can spoil your 'ebay points' out of spite if you give a bad review.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 11-Feb-2017 23:41 Message #4677330
I sometimes read reviews but written one. They are useful.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 12-Feb-2017 08:37 Message #4677339
I wrote a review earlier this year on the hotel I stayed at in Bulgaria and also reviewed a local bar, a ski instructor and the slopes. Within days I glad received a list of questions from travellers wanting to know about the local facilities, where to hire ski equipment and distances from hotels to slopes. I felt I had made a worthwhile contribution.
Female
Nemesis  Female  Dorset 12-Feb-2017 12:50 Message #4677383
All the time. I find them very helpful when I am looking to buy something, stay somewhere or use someone's services - anything in fact - so I think it's only fair to help others by doing the same.

I try to be fair, pointing out both good and bad as appropriate. The thing with reviews though is that you have to realise you can't take them as a guarantee. They are only an opinion after all x
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 24-Oct-2019 09:02 Message #4760104
I write reviews if I’m particularly satisfied or disappointed usually on Tripadvisor as it’s a review site I use myself.
Some travellers read my reviews and they write questions. I enjoy writing back.

Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 24-Oct-2019 12:23 Message #4760134
i write reviews good and bad.

when reading reviews i go by my 1 in 6 rule, ie, if only one review in six is negative i consider that par for the course, as its hard to please all the people all the time.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 24-Oct-2019 23:12 Message #4760210
I write reviews for hotels because they are easy to access to give online reviews. Products can be more difficult.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 27-Oct-2019 08:32 Message #4760541
Writing reviews on Facebook can be very confrontational so I wouldn’t even bother.

If I write a new restaurant A, is very good it will immediately attract friends of competitor’s restaurant B , saying that B is much better and we don’t need A. Then you get more friends of each one joining in. A bit like the mse excellent votes we used to see on here.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 27-Oct-2019 09:00 Message #4760548
I have written reviews on Wayfairs own site.
All have been very positive.
I have never bought anything from them that hasn't looked exactly as shown and the quality exceeded my expectations.
Female
CloudChaser  Female  Cornwall 27-Oct-2019 09:56 Message #4760564
I write quite a few reviews good and bad, mostly on Amazon where I also write answers to customer's questions.

But I love reading those left by others. The ones that crack me up are 'Sorry I can't help you' why do they bother even writing that?
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 27-Oct-2019 17:51 Message #4760631
Occasionally I come across a company which has been absolutely slated with dozens of bad reviews and it makes me wonder how they survive.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »