Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Laverbread with cockles

Nice?

Female
BottomsUp  Female  North East London
4-Dec-2012 11:08 Message #4252919
I was working in Cardiff yesterday and have just come out of the fish monger. I was christened here and had a Welsh granny so it's time I tried laverbread with cockles. Will this be the biggest mistake of my life?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
4-Dec-2012 11:42 Message #4252924
Someone had it on Come Dine with me and they enjoyed it . I would give it a whirl anyway.

v x
Female
Pindy  Female  the Vale of Glamorgan
4-Dec-2012 12:00 Message #4252927
Depends how laverbread is cooked I think. My Dad used to fry it well in bacon fat, like a thick pancake, and I remember it was quite firm in texture, not sloppy. It's very salty too, probably an acquired taste.

We used to be treated to a six penny bag of cockles from Cardiff market on a Saturday morning.

Thanks for the memory of my Dad; a bit of nostalgia for me today.

Pindy x
Female
solstice  Female  Pembrokeshire
4-Dec-2012 15:53 Message #4252986
Yuk, horrible! I've tried it a few times cos I think - living in Pembrokeshire - I really ought to like it. I spose if I liked eating salty seaweed with bits of grit like sand and slimy bits in it then I might. But I don't. My bad :-(
Male
InSanityClaus  Male  Cornwall
4-Dec-2012 17:17 Message #4253008
Nom nom!!!...Rick Stein did it in a bechamel sauce and served in vol-au-vaunts
Male
InSanityClaus  Male  Cornwall
4-Dec-2012 17:19 Message #4253009
Or...a big plate of cockles malt vinegar white pepper and brown bread...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
4-Dec-2012 18:51 Message #4253050
Probably yes it will.
Female
BottomsUp  Female  North East London
4-Dec-2012 22:12 Message #4253172
Lovely stuff - just the job for tea with cockles and bread and butter! While I was watching Masterchef of course!

Still got some for breakfast tomorrow morning!

Help with conversations