Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Valentine's Day 2012

MSE Members Card Delivery Service

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next >  Last >> 

Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 14-Jan-2012 18:21 Message #4017127
Hi All

Valentine’s Day is almost upon us – the day when we are able to send a card to a fellow MSE member to let him/her know that they have an admirer.

As I am a tres romantique old bint (love a happy ending!), I’m offering my services as ‘go-between’/Cupid’s postie.

All you need to do is PM me with the name of your intended recipient, I will then PM said person to obtain their real name (as opposed to pseudonym!) and address. Upon receipt of same, I’ll PM you to let you know I’ve had a response AND to give you my name/address details. You can then send your card(s) to me, signed, sealed AND stamped – I’ll fill in the recipient’s name and address and send it on its way.

Don’t forget to allow sufficient time for your card to reach me so I can ensure it reaches its final destination in good time.

NB Remember to enclose a note letting me know who you (the sender) are so I can match your card to correct recipient!!

Polly
x

PS No formal payment is necessary – my services are entirely voluntary. However, should any future trips down the aisle arise as a result of this thread, an invite to either the Hen or the Stag ‘do’ AND the chance to wear a sticky-out frock at the wedding would be greatly appreciated!
Female
euphoria  Female  Cardiff 14-Jan-2012 19:28 Message #4017168
Hope this is a roaring success for all who take part.

I admire people like you who are prepared to put a lot of time and effort into it.

There will be some people who don't agree with this thread...but don't let them put you off...they don't have to take part.

I think it is a bit of light hearted fun...even if I did go and mug the postie last year when he walked past my letter box...nothing...nado...not even junk mail ;( xxx
Male
Desert Warrior  Male  Cambridgeshire 14-Jan-2012 19:36 Message #4017177
Yes but who is going to send poor old Polly a valentines card if she is organising it?

DW
Female
Shaz_x  Female  Cambridgeshire 14-Jan-2012 19:37 Message #4017178
Well done for taking this on Polly.

I think it was Smiles and Daydreamer that have done it the past 2 years, and it does take a lot of time and hard work so I thank you.

Can I just ask why you need to know who the sender is? I thought it was meant to be a secret?
Female
Happy_etc  Female  Cheshire 14-Jan-2012 19:39 Message #4017184
Ah DW how thoughtful of you :)
Female
Happy_etc  Female  Cheshire 14-Jan-2012 19:40 Message #4017185
How can someone not agree with the thread... 'step away from keyboard'. OK suggest they march on by then...
Female
euphoria  Female  Cardiff 14-Jan-2012 19:57 Message #4017198
Shaz_x I'm guessing it's because the envelope to be posted on will be blank...so she will need to refer back to who wanted to send a card to who...
Female
Shaz_x  Female  Cambridgeshire 14-Jan-2012 20:04 Message #4017203
But ... as an example if I was sending one to you (don't worry, I haven't turned) I would write in the card :

"Euphoria.
My knees turn to jelly when I see your posts on MSE,
Please be my valentine and give your heart to me.
Love ? xxx"

Then I would put the card in an envelope, seal it, put a stamp on and write "euphoria" either on the envelope or on a note with the card.

I would then put this inside a larger envelope and post it to Pollypoppy for her to add your address and send it on.

Pollypoppy would not know it's from me. That is how I have done them in the past
Female
Happy_etc  Female  Cheshire 14-Jan-2012 20:06 Message #4017204
Maybe cos then she cant confirm receipt and despatch? Perhaps to remain completely annonymous then dont give your name? Or in Shaz's case neighm :)
Female
Shaz_x  Female  Cambridgeshire 14-Jan-2012 20:07 Message #4017205
Everybody!

Please remember to check the postage. The post office are pretty hot on charging an extra £1 admin fee if you are just a couple of pence short on postage, especially for Valentines Day.
If you buy a larger card, or a small card that has sticky out bits on, you need to use a "large" postage stamp or take it to the post office just to double check postage costs.

We don't want all the recipients having to pay to get their cards, or even worse for Pollypoppy to have to fork out any money :-(
Female
Shaz_x  Female  Cambridgeshire 14-Jan-2012 20:13 Message #4017209
If I send any ;-) they will be totally anonymous. I won't even know that I've sent them myself lol
Female
euphoria  Female  Cardiff 14-Jan-2012 20:14 Message #4017210
Sent one last year but cant remember what I did :(

Hope someone still has the thread in their conversations...
Female
Daydreamer  Female  Lincolnshire 14-Jan-2012 20:21 Message #4017216
Ooh, how exciting!
Decisions, decisions...

Good on you Polly!

Last year it was smiles who organised it. She suggested that anyone who was happy to receive Valentines sent their details to her (the organiser). She then posted a list of those she could send cards to on the thread. If someone then wanted to send a card to someone not on the published list the organiser pm-ed them to see if they were willing to give their address.

Does any of that make sense?

Don't forget that the sender needs to put postage on the unaddressed card so that you, Polly, don't incur any expense.
Female
Daydreamer  Female  Lincolnshire 14-Jan-2012 20:23 Message #4017217
Also, anyone wanting to send Polly a card, if you don't want to give her a clue by finding out her address, I'm happy to be her go-between.

PM me and I'll get her address and pass your cards on.

Female
Shaz_x  Female  Cambridgeshire 14-Jan-2012 20:34 Message #4017231
Sorry DD I thought it was you that did it last year. I just realised that Smiles did the postal thread and you did the online message thread. I've already done mine for Euphoria on this thread. That's my verse made up for this year lol
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 14-Jan-2012 21:30 Message #4017288
Thanks, Euro, not sure 'admire' is the word, 'pity' might be more appropriate!

I really don't give a bugger if this thread meets with disaapproval from some quarters - as you so rightly say, they don't have to take part. Anyone who's not interested/opposed to it can simply ignore the thread - simple!

Polly
x

PS Maybe you'll have better luck this year - your postie might send you one to keep you happy!
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 14-Jan-2012 21:33 Message #4017292
Ahhh, thanks DS for thinking about poor, neglected Cupid's helper being Valentine's Card-less!

I'm sure if anyone has an inclination to send ME one, they'll think of something!.

Polly
x
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 14-Jan-2012 21:41 Message #4017310
Thanks, Shaz - I'll probably deeply regret it VERY soon!

I only volunteered cos no-one else seemed to have mentioned it and time is getting on!

You are correct - the RECIPIENT of the card WILL be kept in the dark re the sender of his/her card (unless the sender opts to add his/her name before card is sealed and posted to ME). HOWEVER, I, PollyPoppy, will need to know who has sent the card to me so I can address it to the correct recipient. Unless I know who's sent it, I'm not gonna know who to send it to! Trust that answers your question.

Polly (crystal ball in for repair at present!)
x
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 14-Jan-2012 21:43 Message #4017316
You gorrit, Euphoria!

Polly
x
Female
x_shar_x  Female  Wiltshire 14-Jan-2012 21:46 Message #4017324
I sent two last year through smiles ...one already had a girlfriend ( i didnt know!!)
and the other sent me one ...we met for a coffee and have remained friends no romance though but

well done Polly its a lovely gesture and I'm sure there will be success stories as there were last year :))
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 14-Jan-2012 21:47 Message #4017330
I DO hope so, Oldskoolie - bleedin hell mate, it's like pullin teeth!! Methinks that whilst smiles are forming on other faces, Polly's face will be set in a deep scowl!

Hey-ho, we can but try!

Polly
x
Female
Happy_etc  Female  Cheshire 14-Jan-2012 21:52 Message #4017346
Anyone ask for my address yet Polly? :) lol

Think I can come off the norty step now xx
Female
PollyValentiniusPoppy  Female  Worcestershire 14-Jan-2012 22:01 Message #4017362
Just seen your further post, Shaz.

Yeah, you and me both - I'd do that too.

However, as I've not been privy to past Valentine's Day threads/posting procedures, was merely anticipating some people might send their card to me OMITTING to include any kind of indication as to whom the card's intended for (ex-legal sec!); hence my Pratt's Guide! It might sound obvious to you BUT errors/omissions do occur.

As long as I know where each card is destined for, I'm not particularly interested in knowing the sender.

Polly
x
Female
Shaz_x  Female  Cambridgeshire 14-Jan-2012 22:13 Message #4017389
I want to know who all the senders are please ... just for general intrigue purposes lol

I think another thing that has been done in the past is that people have added to the thread if they are happy to receive cards. Some would rather not pass their home address on.

It is best for participants in this to check with Polly that she has the recipients address before sending cards to her otherwise she might get stuck with a pile of cards that cannot be forwarded.

Polly, do you know your postman (or woman)? They will think you are a very popular lady with all the red and pink envelopes you'll be getting ;-)
Female
Happy_etc  Female  Cheshire 14-Jan-2012 22:16 Message #4017394
Loves Fairy Spice's optimism. No FS me thinks they have gone to contribute to the sports threads where there are no expectations of them bar some grunting and fa**ting :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »