Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

FREEDOM - Freedom - freedom - is it just a word, an ideology, an inspiration, asperation or a joke?

I will NOT assume the replies, will be about, restrictions, so fingers crossed!

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
Blackjack  Male  South Yorkshire
13-Jan-2021 17:16 Message #4803345
There appears to be dnt ideas, on what FREEDOM actually means to differnt people.

What does freedom allow?

What should Freedom allow an individual to be able to do?

What is freedom really About?

So what might FREEDOm mean to you?

What does Freedom offer for YOU?

Freedom From WHAT?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
13-Jan-2021 17:21 Message #4803346
Without a doubt William Wallace shouting FREEEEEDOM!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
13-Jan-2021 18:49 Message #4803368
I wish it meant freedom from idiots, but unfortunately it dosen't and one persons idiot is another's genius.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
13-Jan-2021 19:25 Message #4803380
Freedom of choice.

Freedom of religion, political thought, speech.

Freedom at the ballot.

.... and freedom to pursue your own goals, ambitions, capitalism, open economy, free market, and make a fortune if that's what you want. etc.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
13-Jan-2021 19:42 Message #4803382
Freedom to me means to go wherever I please, without restrictions. Walk where I like, drive where I like, sail where I like and catch a plane where I like and to have my freedom to choose back again.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
13-Jan-2021 20:08 Message #4803384
I'm reading my homework instead, It seems I have "The Road the Serfdom" to digest :-/
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
13-Jan-2021 20:23 Message #4803386
There's different levels of freedom and different types....

We're often told in this country about how lucky we are to have freedom, compared to various other countries......And we are.lucky in that respect....

But......a lot of things in our lives have very little freedom....

Contracts etc.....Of course, you can breach the contract, or end it somehow.....but whilst under contract, you are generally 'owned'

Most jobs.....you could hand your notice in.....But, as you really need a job to pay bills etc, you are generally tied down to a job of some sort.......and most jobs have a lack of freedom.....

The timekeeping, the hours you work.....the job expectations.....You are generally owned during your time at work.....Not much room for freedom......unless you leave, but then it usually starts all over again at the next place....
Male
OcelotTangle  Male  Cornwall
13-Jan-2021 21:00 Message #4803388
Like salt on the tongue, we need a background to lay the flavours of life upon before we can fully taste or appreciate its meaning so prematurely setting freedom as a goal ties one hand behind our back even before such esoterics can be understood. Otherwise we’d never know just how big our cage or fish pond actually was.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
13-Jan-2021 21:43 Message #4803393
We can't have total freedom otherwise we would be free to murder or commit all sorts of heinous acts. So each persons idea of freedom will depend on what they have grown up with, what they are used to and what they want to do.
Female
AthenaArena  Female  Essex
15-Jan-2021 12:52 Message #4803580
Hi Blackjack,

Good thread. Freedom is, from a philosophical point of view, in the mind. From a practical view, freedom is having a choice.

Have a good day.
AthenaArena
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
15-Jan-2021 17:23 Message #4803600
Politics aside it's being able to follow my passions without someone interfering.
Male
15-Jan-2021 17:31 Message #4803603
Also there's freedom of expression such as in Brazilian Zouk being able to express yourself in dance how you interpret the music. There's an excellent example on youtube by Zoukers Anderson & Brenda famous in the Zouk world with the dance Hormone Soup( 'Spirit Bird') that went viral.
Male
15-Jan-2021 17:31 Message #4803604
https://youtu.be/QdkAlYXQJs0
Male
15-Jan-2021 17:36 Message #4803606
If you watch it you'll see what I mean better than words can say.

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
16-Jan-2021 20:14 Message #4803729
"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

Kris Kristofferson
Male
17-Jan-2021 18:07 Message #4803877
Well most pople appear to aspire to their birthright, freedom, which suggests they have disapeared up theri own delusions.

While the official rhetoric surrounding British foreign policy stresses human rights, international law, the sovereignty of nations and the promotion of democracy, the historical record suggests that assassination and regime change (together with lying, bribery, propaganda blitzes, the incitement of mobs and the support of brutal dictators) have been more often the constant features.

My idea of freedom is to do whatever I like, think whatever I like, whenever I like, as my life is special to me, its my story I witness though the time I am here, and everyone else and everything else is peripheral, or not part of me. Obviously I live in an environmental and social landscape, as it is for a child when presented with paper and paint to draw and paint what they wish, my life is surely mine to develop and shape however I wish, or allow things to develop, everything is my choice, my decisions.

I choose not to be shackled ever through being debt or wage slave, when you workout the subliminal social and economic rules, live is very simple. I an not shackled by the practice of regret, guilt, self doubt, anxiety, restrictions, worry, fears, insecurity, psychological delusions, or expectations outside of my abilities. I know what I like, I know what pleasure is and can be, and accept the limitation of the biology I inhabit. I am told I see the world in unusual ways, and can do things and get into places most people fear to tread in the world of feelings, sensations and emotions.

Sharing secrets is a private affair, and when you understand the rules of affection it can allow you to make informed choices and not jump in and find out it was a mistake. How else can one learn if not through mistakes of which I am proud to admit have made millions, as always learning and improving techniques.

The only treasures worth anything on this world are to be found in other people’s hearts, and nothing else begins to compare. Imagine having the MIDAS touch, where one could change anything into gold, might it be a blessing or a curse? Well at this time and place I would say it is both, and thus I do not like to touch anyone, as no one is actually anything like they think we are. But that is another story.

The real murderers are the people who sanction bombing countries far away, financing terrorism and death squads to overthrow governments and rulers, but we all condone that as normal acceptable. Why negotiate when you can use brute force in our hypocritical ideological driven culture. So no wonder we have abuse and worse in our trickle down repressive ideological culture, where might is right, as in Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, several African countries where the west is orchestrating the killings, and overthrow of governments in countries that are seen to have properties we require. The gulf wars were not about stealing the oil, but controlling it, to regulate enemies, Russia and China mainly. We are living at a pivotal time in human history, in unprecedented times, long before the pandemic farce, and my freedoms have never been affected by any restrictions, not now or in the future, its perfect.
Male
17-Jan-2021 18:40 Message #4803895
Ego.

Good lord. Look how it manifests.

How can a mind know real freedom while dragging such angst like an anchor?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
19-Jan-2021 12:11 Message #4804138
BJ Interesting

While the official rhetoric surrounding British foreign policy stresses human rights, international law, the sovereignty of nations and the promotion of democracy, the historical record suggests that assassination and regime change (together with lying, bribery, propaganda blitzes, the incitement of mobs and the support of brutal dictators) have been more often the constant features.

haha I found this a gem. "Foreign policy stresses human rights, int. law, etc. etc." Only if the countries involved have something very desirable that we want! Otherwise they can all murder each other, which they do.

But if they are geo-politically placed, like bordering Russia or China, they must be liberated. Democracy! Like Allaah is is the cry. Hypocracy would be more fitting.

Oh yes, support of brutal dictators is definitely on the cards! Regardless of the numbers of deaths we wreak, we must have dominance, sanction any country that doesn't comply to our demands, or our rules, and if that doesn't work, find some prattle about human rights and lob the necessary missiles. Excellent stuff.

Of course if we didn't, in some cases, they would likely strangle us, but crying freedom & liberty, shucks, do as we say, not as we do.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
19-Jan-2021 13:08 Message #4804150
Any discussion about freedom always throws up similar things to what has been raised here, perhaps it's just too big a concept for us to comprehend. might it be better to split it between the freedom of the individual and freedom of the group, or tribe or the society. I often wonder if the English language is over complicated, that and we expect too much from life.

A simpler view might be to be like other creatures/organisms that simply 'exist' and adapt. We think we've gone beyond that, but I wonder if we have?
Male
19-Jan-2021 13:25 Message #4804155
Freedom?

Even the largest galaxy, 100,000 light years across, is restrained and held captive by the filaments of mysterious dark matter that, acting as an invisible unknowable scaffold to hold all galaxies, spreads its tendrils across the whole of the universe.

And even that universe sized structure is seduced and pulled, accelerating, expanding, by a force we only know by the name of dark energy so, seen in such terms, even the word freedom becomes no more than a token expressed in mere mortal terms when compared to the terror of what really lies beyond measure or human thought out there beyond the farthest star.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
19-Jan-2021 14:22 Message #4804159
Any discussion about freedom always throws up similar things to what has been raised here, perhaps it's just too big a concept for us to comprehend. might it be better to split it between the freedom of the individual and freedom of the group, or tribe or the society. I often wonder if the English language is over complicated, that and we expect too much from life.

A simpler view might be to be like other creatures/organisms that simply 'exist' and adapt. We think we've gone beyond that, but I wonder if we have?

I doubt we have gone beyond much.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
19-Jan-2021 18:54 Message #4804178
Terry I wonder if the opposite is true and we don't have words to describe what concepts like freedom mean? Our language is wonderful, but like all languages it has some gaps and I think it dosen't allow us to simply describe shades and layers of meaning clearly.

I think that people don't want to accept the other word and concept that goes with freedom and that is responsibility. We seem to want the freedom to act as we wish and to speak as we wish, but we don't seem to want the responibility for our actions and words having consequenses and they do have consequenses and not just for ourselves but for others too. I think its the idea of there being consequenses for others that many people really struggle with, they try and hide behind words like "wokeness" and "virtue signalling", when really what they're doing is signalling thier "un-wokeness" to others of thier tribe.
Male
20-Jan-2021 04:49 Message #4804241
Its almost like people here are frightened of freedom its too difficult a subject, freedom to murder, what is more simple thatn being free to do what you like when and how? you can eat when you like, have sex when you like, drive when you like, travel where you like. But is one is really GROWN UP and has become sophisticated then simple pleasures are out, murder is suddenly in, and chose and confusion like frogs in a box.

A child playing even by itself painting or with toys imagining whatever they wish is freedom, some of us grow up and some just grow old without realising it. I never had great expectations, had no ambitions, my hopes were I knew impossible. If you want to fly and discover you do not have wings then you have to earn a lot of money to get an aircraft, which needs maintenance and more money more worries, more parts, more certificates. The more you have the less freedom you discover, as the chains start to clank. But when you can do whatever you want as well as accommodate others too, then there is nothing left to want as you have it all.

Once you have had it all for years , it’s the new normal, and then you sit and watch others trying to impress and get what they think want and laugh as they will never get it only a taste for a few moments at best. I just hope the forced incarceration makes people aware that fun does not have to cost, and sharing desires is potentially exhausting better to sit in the sun and snooze, thus avoiding exercise and dream of other adventures without having to do the bloody things.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
20-Jan-2021 06:28 new  Message #4804245
A brilliant George Michael song........

Freedom 90.......Great vid with the supermodels......

Also great live performance with brilliant backing......

RIP George.....Fantastic talent......
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
20-Jan-2021 07:15 new  Message #4804248
I agree tumbled. George was very talented.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations