Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

AUNT BESSIE'S

Dumplings

Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
13-Jan-2021 12:45 Message #4803284
The ones you have with stew! lol ;-)

Has anyone tried Aunt Bessie's frozen dumplings?

I've just discovered chunky beef and vegetable soup, but I have to have extra peas with it (processed, coz I like the juice they come in)
And I thought a dumpling or two would be ok with this, and perhaps a couple of roast taters (Aunt Bessie's or Aldi's of course)
Would be my version of a stew! lol.
Not being a foodie type bloke, and not much of a cook or meat eater, I reckon I could add it to my menu!

So, have you tried them?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
13-Jan-2021 12:50 Message #4803285
Cor I love gravy made with processed pea juice! lol
Never had her dumplings, how do you cook them if not popped atop a nice casserole in the oven?..
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
13-Jan-2021 12:59 Message #4803288
"Has anyone tried Aunt Bessie's frozen dumplings?"

Yes.

"have you tried them?"

No.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
13-Jan-2021 13:45 Message #4803291
I don’t use processed stuff when cooking i’d much rather do my own from scratch.

The idea of the dumplings with the chunky beef and veg soup sounds ok to me, extra tinned peas is ok as well especially if you like them.

Andy Mac
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
13-Jan-2021 14:03 Message #4803297
I'm reliably informed that I have tried them and I enjoyed them.
Male
13-Jan-2021 14:55 Message #4803313
Hiero

I prefer the pea juice poured over separate from the gravy,
"how do you cook them"... in oven 12 mins according to google, will check destructions when I get some. ;-}
Male
13-Jan-2021 14:56 Message #4803314
Jeff ...

lol :-}
Male
13-Jan-2021 15:02 Message #4803315
AndyMac

That's ok if your that way inclined!

But I aint!
Glad you ok'd the menu though. lol :-}
Male
13-Jan-2021 15:04 Message #4803316
Mr Q ...

That's good to hear lol

Seems i'm likely to get some on the next shopping trip, :-}
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
13-Jan-2021 15:09 Message #4803317
Aunt Bessie is a very busy woman......I don't know how she does it.....

I think I've tried most of her stuff......and it's all been pretty good......I like the roasties and the various veg......

I've had the dumplings.....cooked in various ways.....Not necessarily as the instructions say.....Pretty decent......
Male
13-Jan-2021 15:15 Message #4803320
That's a 'for' then tumble :-}
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
13-Jan-2021 18:20 Message #4803357
Looks like Aunt Bessie is a winner.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
13-Jan-2021 19:32 Message #4803381
Hi Vanman,

I always make my own. Much tastier than Aunt Bessie's. And I have found an easy recipe that you could try. Maybe call it 'Vanman's'? These you would cook in with your stew about 25 mins before the end of stew cooking time, so tastier than frozen ones in the oven.
Why not surprise yourself and see if you can, if up for the challenge that is?
Happy Eating.

'Vanman's Dumpling Recipe'.
Ingredients

115g butter
200g self-raising flour
3 Tbsp Water (plus more - see instructions)
Optional - add a few fresh or dried herbs to the mix.

Instructions

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and butter using your finger tips - rub it together to form a crumb dry
Then, add in the 3 tbsp of water - and stir using a spoon. Then, take your hands and stir/press it together, keep adding water - a tablespoon at a time, and mixing it in until a soft dough ball forms. Don't add much water at once, it can easily become too wet!
Once your soft dough is formed, use floured hands to roll into 10 dumplings (or, however many you can depending on the size you want - remember, they'll grow as they cook)
Place the dumplings in the top of your stew or casserole, when there's 25 minutes cooking time left* (remember, the dumplings will soak up some liquid so make sure you have enough liquid in your stew
Put the lid on the stew or casserole, and cook for 25 minutes - or until the dumplings are soft and cooked through
Optional: Cook for a further 5 mins with the lid off if you're making a casserole and want the dumplings to be a bit crunchy on top.

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
13-Jan-2021 20:19 Message #4803385
"how do you cook them"*... in oven 12 mins according to google, will check destructions when I get some. ;-}

Hmm I have to say I only like dumplings when they are cooked in a tasty beef casserole so the bottom gets all juicy with gravy and the top gets slightly crispy. Suet pastry is my absolute favourite and is so easy to make.
Vanman get yourself some Atora suet and a bit of plain flour and make your own dumplings, you won't regret it.
You can boil them too I think and have them with sweet stuff like stewed apple...

Male
13-Jan-2021 22:36 Message #4803395
Sea ..

Thanks for the recipe, have copied it out.
But, I'm not actually making a stew/casserole from scratch.

The dumplings were just a thought, as I was eating a bowl of 'chunky Beef and Veg SOUP that I'd "zapped' in the microwave (or if you watched Nigela the other week, The Mee-crow warve') for a few minutes.
Not being a 'full on' meat eater, the tiny chunks of beef in the soup just made it SEEM TO ME like a stew! And I thought Dumplings! lol.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
13-Jan-2021 23:19 Message #4803397
I've always thought that suet dumplings were fairly revolting things. My old mum's were bad enough; I wouldn't part with good money to eat the damn things.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
14-Jan-2021 10:32 Message #4803431
A good dumpling's a wonderful thing, a bad one is like a soggy cannon ball!
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
14-Jan-2021 18:03 Message #4803493
LOL at W'Hen

;-)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
14-Jan-2021 22:12 Message #4803517
I've always thought that suet dumplings were fairly revolting things. My old mum's were bad enough; I wouldn't part with good money to eat the damn things.

Did you eat them and smile?

Help with conversations