Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

MSE down?

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
11-Jan-2021 07:41 Message #4802969
Presuming it wasn't only me was MSE missed while it was not operational for quite a lengthy period?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
11-Jan-2021 08:01 Message #4802970
The bad news is.....it's back up again....

Actually, I did try to log in a couple of times yesterday......to no avail.......Each time, it's a bit frustrating at first, as you've set your sights on 'a bit of MSE time'.....but then I went off and did some other stuff quite happy.....Mainly online stuff....youtube etc....

I watched a load of stuff......including some On The Buses.... and even read up a thing about James Joyces Ulysses.....Not the actual novel...just a thing about it......
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
11-Jan-2021 08:09 Message #4802972
Yep, likewise i tried a few times to log in then gave up but hey, it seems to be working again now so here i am for now ;-) lol

Have a great day everyone :)

Andy Mac
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
11-Jan-2021 08:57 Message #4802976
I watched a load of stuff......including some On The Buses

I hate you Butler!
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire
11-Jan-2021 09:19 Message #4802979
Having posted the Huggy thread starter I tried to log on a few times later on and couldn't get on at all either. Does anyone know why it was down?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
11-Jan-2021 09:21 Message #4802980
I would guess it was down to the lack of site maintenance. I think only the absolute necessities are ever done.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
11-Jan-2021 09:28 Message #4802982
It was up first thing in the morning as some members of the Sunday Huggers club managed to get online, send hugs and write on the thread. But when I tried late morning - nothing

Trevor
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
11-Jan-2021 09:36 Message #4802985
Minimum interest by admin regarding the site.

what a bunch of no hopers, the place deserves to end up in the bin.

Adminton, you are useless.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
11-Jan-2021 09:52 Message #4802987
On the other hand, it could have just been that their server was down.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
11-Jan-2021 10:58 Message #4802996
I couldn't get on either. You never know admin might have been been doing some maintainance!
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
11-Jan-2021 11:08 Message #4803001
Software updates/fixes at a guess. I could get onto the server all day but most of the MSE main application (that we are using now) was unavailable.

I note that this site is now secure, (as in it's using encryption for traffic across the 'web) well for a couple of months anyway.

SQL
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
11-Jan-2021 11:16 Message #4803002
We all have the choice whether to use it or not, and as far as I'm aware there's nothing to stop a person setting up their own site if they don't like this, having said that though, I believe the plug has been pulled on Parler so probably many of the people on here don't have anywhere else to go.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
11-Jan-2021 11:24 Message #4803005
Well I really missed it.
Tried no end of times to log on, eventually worked late evening.
I had something really exciting to share with you all, but by the time it came back online it was a bit too late! ;-)
It just didn't seem like a normal Sunday without it
I'm sure admin didn't knock it out for the whole day intentionally, especially being a Sunday, must have been a teknikal hitch!

Shame on those with nasty comments, but who still seem to spend a lot of time on site! lol. :-)

LONG LIVE MSE!
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
11-Jan-2021 11:40 Message #4803006
My initial comment about the bad news being that is was back again was a joke of sorts....

But, having said that, there are genuine criticisms that have needed airing for a few years now....Even though the site is free..

With Admin constantly staying silent, I find that very strange......Perhaps it's because he is a 'Techie'....and in my experience, Techies are not always the best communicators.....They want to get on and 'do' stuff....and can often take the system from under you.......Most big places and Corporate etc have things like 'Change Control'.....but even then, I've known 'Techies' pull the plug accidentally on purpose as it were.......I don't think MSE is big enough for proper Change Control though....

Anyway, for the moment, it's back.....We can all get back to calling each other tossers and twats again....

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
11-Jan-2021 11:55 Message #4803009
Blimey terry, ouch!
Parler is decidedly right wing, I wouldn't say there are many on MSE with that political bent....
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
11-Jan-2021 12:01 Message #4803010
I'd never heard of Parler but having googled I don't see anything to associate it with mse or any of its members. Even the right wing members who have views I strongly disagree with could never be described as anything like the extremists of Parler.
Male
11-Jan-2021 12:36 Message #4803014
I wouldn't go by what the decidedly left-leaning google tells you.
There's quite a battle going on with tech companies taking upon themselves to limit free speech - even Angela Merkel has voiced her concerns about Trump being silenced by twitter and facebook. The penny seems to have dropped that if they can do it to him, they can do it to her...
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside
11-Jan-2021 14:09 Message #4803033
One tried to access the site yesterday. With little success. It seems that recounting one's breakfast that day in a thread, is a valuable opportunity missed.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
11-Jan-2021 15:06 Message #4803034
Perhaps Gordon was struggling to find the rent,

perhaps Gordon doesnt exist anymore/enough to explain on site matters,
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
11-Jan-2021 15:09 Message #4803035
my bank and investment companies always display a warning a few days before the event, something like "on the xxx between the hours of xxx this site will be down for essential maintenance" etc....

i dont know why mse wont do this [as the site is now secure i believe some tinkering happened].
Male
11-Jan-2021 15:12 Message #4803036
It's not secure according to my browser...
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
11-Jan-2021 15:37 Message #4803039
The site is not secure you can tell if you look at your browser the padlock has a red line through it.
Male
elrond  Male  the Highlands and Islands of Scotland
11-Jan-2021 15:40 Message #4803040
l could notget in yesterday
Male
connexkev  Male  East Sussex
11-Jan-2021 16:16 Message #4803044
I noticed yesterday evening I couldn't get online, then it was working fine after a while. My browser says the site is
"Not Secure", but its been like that for ages.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
11-Jan-2021 17:10 Message #4803046
the padlock used to have a red cross through it until today.

"cert. issued to; mse"
"issued by R3"
"valid from 19/12/20 to 19/3/21."

maybe some browsers havent updated yet ?

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations