Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Divided by a common

Language?

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
8-Jan-2021 11:06 Message #4802766
Its been said for some years now that UK English and US English are diverging, I'd not really noticed it until recently, but I find myself becoming more confused by how Americans speak, the words they use, sentence structure or lack of it. Watching American pundits on news programs or listening to interviews with ordinary Americans and even politicians, a lot seem to use a lot of big words but with little context, is this a sign of divergence, of inarticulacy or of ignorance or an attempt to bamboozle people with big words that mean little when theres next to no context?

Has anyone else notice the same?

I know my sentence structure can be odd and my spelling isn't the best and I do sometimes use big words, but I do know what they mean and I try and give them context.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
8-Jan-2021 12:20 Message #4802772
I'm becoming more confused by how many people speak, whether English or american, sometimes on the phone I'm having to ask people to repeat what they've said. I don't know, maybe it's an age thing with me...but then, how come I can understand perfectly people around here or people I know? other than southerners or americans, regardless of nationality
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
8-Jan-2021 12:31 Message #4802775
I find I'm hanging onto English in an ever increasing IT lead of USA, as Welsh suffers at the pressure to be English, Gaelic too.
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
8-Jan-2021 20:59 Message #4802825
It's hard to tell what's the truth and what is stereotyped. There was a video stream on a media channel called JOE and according to them we don't have washing machines!
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
8-Jan-2021 23:12 Message #4802832
i wouldn't worry about it w/h, its just the yanks trying to look/sound important but without the substance to go with it.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
9-Jan-2021 01:39 Message #4802840
What I have noticed that over the years English people , especially younger people, speak more rapidly .
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
9-Jan-2021 01:39 Message #4802841
As someone famous once said (can't remember who, but they were right)
The Americans DO NOT speak English !!
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
9-Jan-2021 08:01 Message #4802851
What did the Latin language ever do for us?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
9-Jan-2021 11:36 Message #4802877
I've often said that, Madness. Had no idea it was a quote as I believed it was my own observation.
I don't like their wonky spelling and the made-up words that don't actually mean anything, the turning of nouns into verbs and vice versa. And poor diction drives me nuts.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
9-Jan-2021 11:40 Message #4802879
I wasn't talking about IT, although I find it confusing too or about the BS like us not having washing machines, but the actual words used and how they're being used. Many words embody a concept, such as justice, but with no context given by the speaker it almost stops being a concept and is just a word that the hearer attaches thier own concept of justice to. I wonder if this is part of the reason why theres such division and lack of understanding? People are bellowing concepts at each other but with no concept to aid understanding. I see this as a de-evolution of language, it deprives it of its richness and layered meanings, are people conciously depriving themselves of being understood?

Help with conversations