Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Plasters and stuff

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
22-Nov-2020 08:45 Message #4798601
Do you have a full first aid kit...either at home or in the car.....or just a few plasters and things?

Years ago......after going on a first aid course at work.....I bought a proper first aid box.......as you do.....all keen and everything....

I kept it in the car......Then had the car nicked.....Bye bye car and first aid box and golf clubs and all sorts of other stuff....That's another story though....

Nowadays....I only have a few plasters knocking about......I cut my finger last week.....and with the blood thinners, it was difficult to stop bleeding......and I also must have got it infected a bit...as it went sore and white....

I didn't have any antiseptic......so went and bought some....and now have a few plasters and some antiseptic...

Do you have loads of stuff?.....Bandages and all...or just basics?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
22-Nov-2020 09:16 Message #4798606
I have just plasters and germolene cream at home, although I am a trained emergency at work level 3 first aider ......cough cough.
The best thing for cuts if you don't have any plasters is electrical insulation tape over a bit of paper towel, used to do that all the time in farming....
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
22-Nov-2020 09:29 Message #4798609
I've carried a 1st aid kit in the car since first doing British Red Cross 1st aid training. You never know when something you've got might make the difference.
Hopefully it'll never be required but they are a good idea to have on board.

and in some places abroad, like driving in France, it's recommended that you carry a 1st aid kit and fire extinguisher in the car in case of an emergency. Best to have one on board so not to fall foul of the law, you don't want to give the Gendarmes any excuse.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-Nov-2020 10:43 Message #4798618
We've got loads of plasters and dressings and a medicines box for paracetamol, immodium etc. I ten to use salt water for cleaning wounds and pour salt on them to stop them from bleeding if they soak a plaster, it hurts, but it usually does make it stop.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
22-Nov-2020 14:59 Message #4798651
I have a small basic kit in the car and a larger first aid box in the house, but despite this whenever I have cut myself accidentally such as gardening or using kitchen knives, I can never find the right size plaster, even though have loads.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-Nov-2020 18:28 Message #4798662
Its the nature of plasters, Sea, when you buy a new box of the ones you've run out of they'll either appear in your first aid box or they'll breed and take it over whilst also ensuring all the other plasters take on the WRONG SHAPE AND SIZE.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
22-Nov-2020 20:59 Message #4798684
It'd never crossed my mind until i saw this thread but i don't have a single plaster or bandage in my house but in hindsight i do have plenty of clean material and things like sellotape and electrical tape so i don't think i'd bleed to death.

Andy Mac
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
22-Nov-2020 23:19 Message #4798711
I've a couple of first aid kits but the same things get used up in both leaving a lot of bits and pieces I'm never likely to use.
Female
BlinkinLights  Female  South Yorkshire
24-Nov-2020 09:32 Message #4798809
I just have plasters - it is a long strip, which I have cut into small and larger pieces, to suit the problem. Nothing else, so not prepared for anything but a cut finger!
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
24-Nov-2020 11:32 Message #4798821
Someone once said to me, "if you can't describe what's wrong, and don't know what's wrong, but something is wrong, see a vet, they're used to finding illness without the patient talking"
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
24-Nov-2020 13:28 Message #4798825
Yes, I have full first aid kits. One in the house, one in each car, one in the greenhouse and one in the barn. Have BP monitors in 2 places, Inhalers, all sorts of plasters ,dressings, bandages, finger stalls, nebuliser, even smelling salts in car and house, pills and potions for all sorts of things too. I have a full set of bidy support stuff i.e. ankles, elbows, knees, back braces etc I used to be a pharmacist many moons ago, and it seemed a habit , which has stayed with me, to always be prepared,

Either, I am well prepared ( or paranoid neurotic)........ dont reply to that..... lol
Female
BlinkinLights  Female  South Yorkshire
24-Nov-2020 23:19 Message #4798879
Oh wonderful Terry - never thought of that ;-)

Help with conversations