Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Darkness and the web

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
21-Nov-2020 12:36 Message #4798546
Just nipped out for a pot of tea and needed to chill my mind a bit.

The dark web, there's a lot of different things on there, apart from the well publiscised not nice stuff there's some interesting things - research papers, discussion forums, alternative medicine and health, music...lots of stuff.
Have you ever looked into it, if so what do you think of it?

Best get back or they'll be phoning me :-(
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
21-Nov-2020 12:51 Message #4798550
I've not tried it terry but gather you must be careful. You need a special browser to access it and a VPN to ensure you remain anonymous as a lot of dodgy users might trace you depending on what you access.

I'm sure Mr Beach will be along and explain it better.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
21-Nov-2020 14:44 Message #4798557
Isn't the dark web where terrorists lurk and you can find out how to murder your partner?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
21-Nov-2020 15:26 Message #4798564
Hehehe ... like that definition Greencare ! Get somebody really irritating knocked off!

I think there's a deep web and a dark web. Dark web being where all sorts of illegal activities go on, nasty stuff. Not exactly sure what goes on on the deep web. Techi stuff I think, above my head. I wouldn't attempt to go on the dark net, not unless you're very savvy with the 'underworld of crime'.
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
21-Nov-2020 15:46 Message #4798567
I use the dark web quite a bit for research material. If you are working on research the surface web the is only part indexed by Google means that a lot of legitimate research data is not available. Even duckduckgo indexes much more data. It's not as spooky as it seems.

Deep web refers to anything on the internet that is not indexed by and, therefore, accessible via a search engine like Google.
The Dark Web is a subset of the Deep web that is intentionally hidden, requiring a specific browser or software. Not all the dark web is used for illicit purposes despite its ominous-sounding name. It's also there as an anonymizing layer for VPN networks giving an extra layer of protection for the transmission of secure data often used by big business to transfer research material. An example is if somebody is working from home it gives them direct access to the companies secure server as if it's on a LAN.
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
21-Nov-2020 16:13 Message #4798568
To the layperson, their only exists one type of the Internet – the one we use for normal browsing every day. But, in reality, there are 3 main types of the Internet which are crucial to understanding to get an accurate picture of how it works:

1: The Surface Web
2: The Deep Web
3: The Dark Web
The Surface Web

The surface web consists of all the pages that can be indexed by a normal search engine like Google and are available for everyone to see.
The Deep Web

The deep web consists of all those pages that are protected and hence cannot be indexed by a search engine. This protection may come in the form of several security measures such as passwords. An example is a private Instagram profile whose content cannot be displayed in Google search results.

The Dark Web

The dark web consists of all those websites which cannot be accessed using a normal browser and require a special type of network known as The Onion Routing (TOR). All websites there use a .onion appended at the end instead of top-level domains such as “.com”.

Even though the first 2 are not consciously known by the vast majority of users to be distinct types, they are used every day by them. However, the real mystery lies in the third one, the dark web which only makes up a very tiny proportion of the internet containing about just over 65000 URLs.
The dark web is used for secure data transfer such as VPN. You may have seen apps such as NornVPN designed for mobiles advertised on TV.

On of the major search engines that is becoming more popular to the general public who aren't specifically delving into the dark web is 'duckduckgo'.

Don’t confuse the “dark web” with the “deep web.” While definitions vary, the “deep web” usually refers to all the web content you can’t find with a search engine – including plenty of legitimate content that’s generated on the fly when you visit a web site and make a request that requires the site to build a page using its own databases and tools, or requiring authentication to access.

Chances are, you generate plenty of “deep web” content yourself: if you use an online email service like Gmail or Hotmail, all your messages are part of the deep web – and you sure wouldn’t want those to be accessible from a public browser. When you think about it, it’s no surprise that the deep web is far bigger than the public web. But the deep web’s enormity and transience means there’s a lot of really important information researchers and historians will probably never see.
Male
InBetweenTheLines  Male  East Yorkshire
21-Nov-2020 17:14 Message #4798569
The Tor Project, began in the mid 1990s.

Just like Tor users, the developers, researchers, and founders who made Tor possible are a diverse group of people. But all of the people who have been involved in Tor are united by a common belief: internet users should have private access to an uncensored web.

In the 1990s, the lack of security on the internet and its ability to be used for tracking and surveillance was becoming clear, and in 1995, David Goldschlag, Mike Reed, and Paul Syverson at the U.S. Naval Research Lab (NRL) asked themselves if there was a way to create internet connections that don't reveal who is talking to whom, even to someone monitoring the network. Their answer was to create and deploy the first research designs and prototypes of onion routing.

The goal of onion routing was to have a way to use the internet with as much privacy as possible, and the idea was to route traffic through multiple servers and encrypt it each step of the way. This is still a simple explanation for how Tor works today.

In the early 2000s, Roger Dingledine, a recent Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) graduate, began working on an NRL onion routing project with Paul Syverson. To distinguish this original work at NRL from other onion routing efforts that were starting to pop up elsewhere, Roger called the project Tor, which stood for The Onion Routing.

From its inception in the 1990s, onion routing was conceived to rely on a decentralized network. The network needed to be operated by entities with diverse interests and trust assumptions, and the software needed to be free and open to maximize transparency and separation. That's why in October 2002 when the Tor network was initially deployed, its code was released under a free and open software license. By the end of 2003, the network had about a dozen volunteer nodes, mostly in the U.S., plus one in Germany.

Recognizing the benefit of Tor to digital rights, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) began funding Roger's and Nick's work on Tor in 2004. In 2006, the Tor Project, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, was founded to maintain Tor's development.

Tor began gaining popularity among activists and tech-savvy users interested in privacy, but it was still difficult for less-technically savvy people to use, so starting in 2005, development of tools beyond just the Tor proxy began. Development of Tor Browser began in 2008.

With Tor Browser having made Tor more accessible to everyday internet users and activists, Tor was an instrumental tool during the Arab Spring beginning in late 2010. It not only protected people's identity online but also allowed them to access critical resources, social media, and websites which were blocked.

The need for tools safeguarding against mass surveillance became a mainstream concern thanks to the Snowden revelations in 2013. Not only was Tor instrumental to Snowden's whistle blowing, but content of the documents also upheld assurances that, at that time, Tor could not be cracked.

People's awareness of tracking, surveillance, and censorship may have increased, but so has the prevalence of these hindrances to internet freedom. Today, the network has thousands of relays run by volunteers and millions of users worldwide. And it is this diversity that keeps Tor users safe.

We, at the Tor Project, fight every day for everyone to have private access to an uncensored internet, and Tor has become the world's strongest tool for privacy and freedom online.

But Tor is more than just software. It is a labor of love produced by an international community of people devoted to human rights. The Tor Project is deeply committed to transparency and the safety of its users. Source: Tor website.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
25-Nov-2020 22:12 Message #4798952
Spiders stay in dark places and are mainly nocturnal, but despite most having 4 pairs of eyes, they don't see well in the dark. They spin a dark web.

In the 2006 Great British Design Quest by the Design Museum and BBC, Concorde came 1st and the London Underground Map came 2nd. An underground's maze of tunnels could be called a dark web.

In that Quest, 5th was the World Wide Web and 7th was the Catseye to brighten road lanes. Maybe by putting them together the dark web could be made safer.

In 1934 Percy Shaw patented the road cat's eye after he saw the eyeshine from a cat. Ken Dodd used to say that if the cat had been walking the other way, then Shaw would have invented the pencil sharpener!

8th was "Tomb Raider album cover". Google Images shows several Tomb Raider designs, but I can't see how any of them merit being 8th in that list.

Our veins and arteries are a bit like a web. Inside them it's probably dark. On 23-Apr-20 Donald Trump said "So I asked Bill [William Bryan] a question that probably some of you are thinking of, if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you’re going to test that too."
So that might make the dark web bright.

In Islamic paradise for men, "houris" are female companions, having wide and beautiful eyes and swelling breasts. Reliable hadith Bukhari 4:54:476 says "everyone will have two wives from the houris, (who will be so beautiful, pure and transparent that) the marrow of the bones of their legs will be seen through the bones and the flesh". So inside their veins won't be a dark web.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
25-Nov-2020 23:23 Message #4798963
Everybody gets the Percy Shaw Cats eye story wrong so, as twice, International Inventor of the Year, :-), allow me to explain the real reason he earned his patents and his fame.
---
The concept of reflective marbles acting as guidance or warnings as used in many transportation (and other) settings had already been know of and deployed across highways, railways and other locations and industries decades before Shaw developed his own patents and product(s).

In other words, a glass sphere reflecting light was not, remotely, novel, ingenius or patentable BUT innovating on that basic concept * using an entirely novel approach* did allow Percy Shaw to file a successful patent.

How?

Well, as will become crystal clear as my words are read and absorbed, the novel thing about Shaw's particular invention was NOT directly anything to do with the reflective marbles at all (or as such) but the simple fact that the twin glass spheres representing the cat's eyes, were enclosed within a rubberised sheath or container. (In a cast iron shoe that could be set flush in a tarmac or concrete road or setting).

It was the rubberised surrounding container that was novel and patentable because, when a vehicle drove over the contrived assembly, the rubberised "caps" would be pressed flat and flush into the cast iron shoe, thereby CLEANSING the spherical glass marbles, (or cat'seyes lenses), with a downward wipe followed by a further upward wipe as the vehicle passed and the rubberised containers sprung back up into their original shape and position.

Blinkin' obvious ... once you know :-)

Thus; Percy Shaw made his millions by inventing a SELF CLEANSING reflective device based on the earlier reflective ball principle used universally prior.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
26-Nov-2020 07:16 Message #4798975
Interesting Beach.

Help with conversations